WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been collecting watches since 2011 and I've been through it all:

- Frustration with not having enough money to buy the pieces I want

- Stressing out about what pieces I need in order to build the "perfect collection."

- Anxiety about what watch to wear for this holiday / on this occasion / with this outfit, etc.

Then one day I had a moment of clarity, and realized that I was taking things too seriously.

The one thing you need to improve your watch collecting for life? A sense of humor about the hobby.

These aren't life-changing decisions we're making. This is something we do for fun, to escape reality for a few moments. It's a way to connect with people that share an interest with you. A hobby is meant to remove stress from your life, not add to it.

So the next time you're agonizing over a watch decision, just remember- they're little clocks that sit on your wrist. It's not that serious.

And most importantly: if 馃憦 you 馃憦 like 馃憦 it馃憦 then 馃憦 wear 馃憦 it 馃憦

馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
i think the most important thing is to collect for yourself, not for the resale.

have to remember that you are buying it for yourself and not just holding onto it for a bit before it goes to its new owner

Registered
Agree with that 100%. Well said. It鈥檚 all too easy to get too serious about watches. Keep it fun always.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
I thought the stress was part of the hobby. You get stressed out and then you end up doing something about it and finally it's on the wrist and it feels like a blessing. Maybe stress isn't the right word.

Registered
I agree. In retrospect, 10 years of watch collecting has brought me a lot of stress. Buying and selling hundreds of watches trying to figure out which one is perfect for me, angst over service costs and hassles dealing with service centers when they screw up repairs, wondering which watch goes best with which outfit, which one to wear in various social situations, which one for vacation, etc. The stress of trying to explain the hobby and justify the costs to the wife, having her catch me staring at my watch while out to dinner, etc. Worrying about scratches, dings, and damage. In hindsight, I could have eliminated all of these stresses by just not wearing a watch.:-d Hmmm?

D0150CD6-8E2B-4ECD-A4AA-42444E5B1F16.jpeg

Registered
Having a sense of humor helps with the watch hobby, but is also good for life in general.
The people than don't are the ones you avoid whenever possible.

Registered
It's not hard to tell who does and does not have a sense of humor. When someone is anxious about whether to shower with their dive watch, how many watches they should take on vacation, in a panic because they can't decide on which watch to: buy, sell, wear, wind, clean, look at or give away, who take offense at jokes at their expense, cry victim, start tossing insults around like beads at mardi gras and in general leave no doubt whatsoever that their personal stick is inserted to maximum depth, you know they're taking this hobby of collecting baubles waaaaay too serious
[and for those certain few, yes I'm being funny...or am I......]

Premium Member
100% agree with you and if you extend this to your everyday life, you鈥檒l be the happiest person on Earth.

Registered
I suffer enough decision fatigue from life. I simply wear the same watch all the time and follow a clear algorithm for the rest of the watches.
I don't really worry about what I cannot afford. I don't even get the ones I can afford because it might cause issues with my watch choosing algorithm.

Still loving it.
P4270002.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts