WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the last 6 months I have been trying to buy myself a nice piece, but every time I am about to pull the trigger something tragic happens. In September the morning of when I was going to go purchase a watch I go out to my truck to take the kids to daycare and check on 3 jobs I was running. Some one decided they didn't like the way the side of my truck looked and ran into it with their truck and did not stop. Luckily there was no sheet metal damage, only 2 tires, the side mirror, and my running board had to be replaced. Then it took me bout a day to room over the pastic scrap running down the side of my truck from their mirror. As s watch is a luxury good I used those fund instaded.

In October my dad got very sick. He had a blood infection. It go to the point where his kidneys shut down and sent him into fluid over load. The prognosis was grave from the ICU doctors. I had to take time off of work to take control of the situation and start to plan his funeral. No problem as I had PTO, but at the endow the week I got a call from my boss informing me that the other manager could handle all of my work loads cd his side was slower than mine( the other manager being the owners son). So I was laid off. Fortunately my dad pulled through, at the surprise all of the ICU personnel. Instead of burning my savings up to live on I used my luxury fund to live on.

Fast forward to May 1st. My daughter has a small red bump over her eye, almost like a she ran into something as all 2 year olds do. The next morning it's the size of a golf ball with a yellowish green fluid coming from it. So off to the doctors we go. The baby doc says it looks like an alergic reaction and that she just needs benedryl. The next day after 24 hr on benedryl it is the same. We go back to the doc and now we have an infection. We are givin melds and told to contact the optimoligist. He says pack your bags because you will be spending the night in the hospital.

REALLY.!!!

So here we go again. Seams like every time it becomes daddies time to reward himself for working hard BOOM something happens, but I am happy do do it and will do it again if the time comes. Just please don't happen again this years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I realised a long time ago that this hobby would be a lot easier if I were single. Still, I wouldn't change anything for the world. My boy turns two this month and me and his Mum get married in July, so there won't be many purchases for me this year. Doesn't stop me looking though and that's half the fun.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully your daughters infection is cured soon. Kids manage all kinds of ways to worry us.
Anyway, I always look at watches (and other frivolous expenses) as luxury that should never interfere w quality of life or family expenses. At the end of the day, your family, their happiness and safety take priority over any watch funds... I only spend $ on watches as long as everything else is funded, that means nice vacations together, and activities for the kid, and home renovations, and car upgrades, etc...

One piece of advice I can offer - perhaps get an affordable that you can really enjoy in the meantime. There are many great watches at reasonable prices that can probably be used as a foundation of a collection without hurting your funds. Off the top of my head: Seiko Orange\Black Monster, Seiko Alpinist\Cocktail time, Seiko SARB033\035, Seagull 1963. Or for truly affordable - Seiko 5 costs same as a tank of gas, or Casio MDV106 for just $40 - something to scratch the itch, and you can wear them playing w kids or working on a truck - great beaters.

·
Registered
14,968 Posts
Very sorry to hear, brother. When it rains, it pours.

Sometimes you have to boil it all the way down to just being happy you're alive and around to experience it all. There are people all around who know they are about to meet their maker and would give everything they own to be in your place. Try to remember that.

I'll be looking forward to hearing when it has turned around for you. Best wishes.

Reactions: blowfish89

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, we are living in the harsh world.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
OP - We all love watches but I'm sure we agree that they can be bought, sold, ignored and swapped. Dad's and daughters can't be replaced, so whilst I understand your frustration I don't really think these matters belong in the same 'brain space'?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Sorry to hear.

But you have a roof over your head and food on the table, these simple things are so wonderful.

Watches will come and go, but family does not. Enjoy the love!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Look at it this way.....

Life has a way of continually taking big ol' unexpected bites out of our financial hind-quarters. It's just the way Life is.

However, anytime Life decides to take an unexpected chunk of change from my ass before I've gone and spent the money on myself, well.....I consider that a blessing.

Because there's nothing worse than spending a bunch of money......only to find Life standing behind you with it's mouth wide open, a pool of saliva on the floor and a hungry look in its eye. That's when the bite stings the most.

·
Registered
14,659 Posts
I'm sorry for all the bumps in the road, but I give you a lot of credit for being financially responsible.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My apologies for your troubles OP. I hope your overdue reward will be swift and satisfying.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I'm kinda going through something similar, so i understand and i empathize... it'll get better. It better :)

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
It will make that eventual purchase all the more sweet. Just choose a piece that's special since it will symbolize your "turning a corner" from life's current crap storm its throwing at you. Hang in there and looking forward to seeing pics of your future reward purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
39,041 Posts
Your family comes first which means that you have your priorities straight. There will always be time for more watches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank yall.

We are on the way home. The swelling and redness as signifanetly reduced. There will be no lasting effect, but if gone untreated she would have lost her eye. That would have never happened.

I don't think I will buy a watch to just fill the gap until I get my omega. My victorinox 24695 is doing that just fine.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Its tough that kids and family have to come before watches, damn pesky kids, you should think about selling them....

·
Premium Member
73,795 Posts
Poo happens but even a watch nut like me knows what the financial priorities are and if my watch fund gets depleted by other spending then tough.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
When you're married with kids there is typically some other way the money could be better spent. Just stick with cheaper options, if you stretch too far you will likely sell it for cash when something else inevitably happens anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts