WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2941 - 2960 of 3074 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Many pages, and maybe a couple threads ago, there were pictures of a Tikuna on a wavy rubber strap. Ever since, I've planned to get a Citizen strap I'd enjoyed on a former watch if I ever got a Tikuna. I was bummed to discover I can't get the spring bars to seat. It seems the straight end of the strap contacts the curve of the case preventing things from lining up.

Before I go at the strap with a Dremel, is anyone aware of any similar looking straps that fit on a Sub? N.D. Limits printed on strap not required.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Many pages, and maybe a couple threads ago, there were pictures of a Tikuna on a wavy rubber strap. Ever since, I've planned to get a Citizen strap I'd enjoyed on a former watch if I ever got a Tikuna. I was bummed to discover I can't get the spring bars to seat. It seems the straight end of the strap contacts the curve of the case preventing things from lining up.

Before I go at the strap with a Dremel, is anyone aware of any similar looking straps that fit on a Sub? N.D. Limits printed on strap not required.

View attachment 15369885 View attachment 15369886
Watchgecko has a few wave vent straps - the softer natural rubber one may squeeze in better on a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Seeing as how NTH was pioneering the use of nontraditional bezel insert materials, here's a possible idea to toss in the air: bezel inserts made from granpa plastic (aka tortoiseshell imitation)... Showed up on new Tag divers, looks pretty nifty.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Seeing as how NTH was pioneering the use of nontraditional bezel insert materials, here's a possible idea to toss in the air: bezel inserts made from granpa plastic (aka tortoiseshell imitation)... Showed up on new Tag divers, looks pretty nifty.

Is that reflections or actually in the material? If the latter then thanks but no thanks.....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Watchpartsplaza carries most OEM Seiko rubber straps.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Oris' Tungsten bezel insert on the other hand is quite cool, as you get something that looks sort of like high polish stainless steel, except with vastly higher scratch resistance. You most likely can't scratch that bezel insert. Of course, there's another edge to that sword, which is that a stainless steel insert wouldn't crack. I don't know how Tungsten compares to ceramic bezel inserts in terms of fragility, but it would certainly seem possible to crack one under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Reactions: Ric Capucho

·
Premium Member
698 Posts

Peteagus beat me to it. Check out Watchgecko.

Reactions: 3WR

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Guessing that will be a "no" from doc regarding the tortoise shell acrylic bezel inserts. Just a guess...

I like the material, but it would probably make for a more interesting dial treatment than bezel insert.

I believe tungsten is incredibly tough, very not prone to cracking. Less prone to cracking, compared to ceramic, less prone to scratches than stainless steel. But not as scratch free as ceramic. And much harder to machine than steel. Expect "wotwot +$100 to cost of watch wotwotwot you and 49 friends willing to prepay and wait a year wotwot."

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Rado used to make watches with tungsten cases. From what I have seen, it does show a little wear, especially around the sharp edges, but minimally so.

A quick google search doesn't yield any examples of cracked tungsten cases, but plenty examples of cracked ceramic cases. So at least anecdotal evidence suggests that tungsten is not quite as brittle as ceramic.

Tungsten is however rather heavy, which is probably why Rado made the switch to ceramic. But for bezel inserts weight wouldn't be an issue, so I guess it technically could be a suitable material.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Rado still makes tungsten cases. They never stopped. They also now make carbon diffused steel and hardened titanium cases and even made an industrial diamond case once upon a time. Tungsten can also be cracked or chipped, though it is much harder to do than it is with some ceramics.

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,956

The new silicone straps from Seiko feel way better than you'd expect when you hear "silicone". I picked one up from Marc at Island Watch 2 years ago, I think.

I was wearing SBDC on one, on the flight down to Jamaica, just because I wanted to spend some time with a different case on my wrist. Those straps are really amazing. I think I like them better than any of the rubber straps I've ever had, including natural rubber.

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,957

I'd like to see one in person, first, and understand more about their construction, the durability of the material, etc.

The numbers look to be metal inlays, not lumed engravings, somewhat like a yachtmaster bezel, yes?

The ability to get a bezel insert with a specific color we choose would make life easier, but I don't value that benefit enough to outweigh the durability of steel. If I could go back in time, I wish I knew steel was an option when I made the Orthos.

---

On a not-very-related note...

As I think I said, we went shopping the other day, and in one of the centers, only two stores seemed to be open, one of which was a jewelers / multi-brand watch AD. The guy who owns it turned out to own the whole center, which helped explain why he was there, and open, when we were literally (not figuratively) the only people on the property that day.

It wasn't exactly on my agenda to find an AD here, but it's always in the back of my mind, so when I mentioned NTH, we got into a watch discussion.

First off - he claimed he'd heard of NTH. I'm still skeptical he wasn't shining me on, hoping we'd buy something inside (we did - my anniversary is coming up). I laughed and insisted he hadn't heard of the brand, but he insisted he did, and that he wasn't BS'in me. I still don't know. For all I know, he was thinking of MVMT (that's happened to me at least twice already).

Almost immediately, he launched into a condemnation of how online selling has impacted the business he does with luxury brands. For the most part, he doesn't want to carry any of them any more, for reasons everyone here has likely already guessed - every day, someone is selling a new Omega, Tag, or Breitling at 20%-30% off, somewhere, and it's just a quick internet search away for someone standing in his store.

He said he could get an Omega for a customer, from any number of other stores, have it delivered to his customers' home, and still make 20% on the sale, just for making a phone call. So what's the point of buying the inventory?

He now focuses mostly on Citizen, Bulova, and other brands selling for well under $1000, because there isn't as much discounting of them at those lower prices, and people are less likely to haggle over a $300-$500 watch than a $3,000-$5,000 watch. When the cruise ships are sailing, he'll move 300-500 of them per month.

Reactions: ChronoB

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
I'd like to see one in person, first, and understand more about their construction, the durability of the material, etc.

The numbers look to be metal inlays, not lumed engravings, somewhat like a yachtmaster bezel, yes?

The ability to get a bezel insert with a specific color we choose would make life easier, but I don't value that benefit enough to outweigh the durability of steel.
I don't know if those are metal inlays.. It could be a shallow milled channel with piped in lume (or paint, or ....), then polished off to make it level with the plastic. The top of that bezel seems to have no ridges or elevations.

Either way... at a guess, it would still be less shatter-able than ceramic / sapphire.

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,959
I don't know if those are metal inlays.. It could be a shallow milled channel with piped in lume (or paint, or ....), then polished off to make it level with the plastic. The top of that bezel seems to have no ridges or elevations.

Either way... at a guess, it would still be less shatter-able than ceramic / sapphire.
Depending on what the material is, though, it may be more scratch-able than steel, and if it starts out in liquid form, then replacement would mean replacing the whole bezel assembly, not just the insert.

That's been my hesitation to do an enamel "bakelite" bezel. I've gotten samples from my OEM, and while I think they're very cool, they have some limitations, in that I don't think they can be sloped the way our steel bezels are, and they can be scratched (though I'm told that scratches can be polished out, like with acrylic crystals).

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Also aging could be an issue. Some tortoiseshell / plastic glasses can get pretty icky after a year or two, with the plastic(?) material starting to basically deteriorate.

2941 - 2960 of 3074 Posts