WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5041 - 5060 of 5155 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
The bracelet on my watch is in fact a strapcode for skx013. It was not a good fit, but with a “good bit” of dremel grinding to endlinks it worked. I’d recommend looking for one with endlinks designed for Rolex sub case after my experience. I can’t wait for Chris to read that you are in search of a jubilee for this great watch, it will fulfill his heart.
Oh he knows! Haha o_O

·
Vendor
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,043
My heart is full enough already, thank you very much.

It's full of rage, and cholesterol, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the SKX013 bracelets....

When we got the prototypes of the original Subs in 2016, the bracelets were completely wrong. Instead of tapered oysters, they sent me un-tapered presidents, apparently with un-breakable epoxy on the screw threads, because I absolutely destroyed them trying to get any of the links out.

So, I ordered a bunch of 013 bracelets from Strapcode, which did fit, easily, without any modification. But, again, they were oysters, not jubilees, and their end-links' upper surfaces were a good bit recessed below the surface of the lugs, so not quite a perfect fit.

Of course, I can't guarantee whether or not any aftermarket bracelet will fit, but I do believe others have found that the bracelets meant for 38mm Seiko SARB cases will also fit, albeit, perhaps not perfectly.

I'll let you in on a little secret, something that I was surprised to learn - very often, the mid-case diameter isn't uniform. We might design a case to be 40mm across, in every direction, but for production, the radius between the lugs could be less than 20 (or possibly more, I suppose), making the diameter from 12 to 6 less than 40 (or more, as the case may be).

In the case of the Subs, I'm pretty sure the 12-6 diameter is actually 39mm, not 40, making the central cylinder slightly oblong. Don't ask me why this would be so. I don't know, because I never asked, because I don't need to know, as long as all our parts fit as they should.

But, that may help explain why a bracelet for a 38mm case could be made to fit the 40mm Subs, especially if the Seiko case is the opposite - broader from 12 to 6 than it is from 3 to 9. Perhaps the surface between the lugs is more or less a good, if not perfect match, making the bracelets fairly interchangeable.

Reactions: PowerChucker

·
Vendor
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,044
For anyone interested - we had a Scorpène White we sent for photography, and the underside of the lugs got a wee bit scratched during bracelet swaps. I just added it to the Nearly New section on the site. Other than those scratches under the lugs, it's a pristine new piece, and we can assemble it with either the BOR or the Oyster bracelet.

Reactions: mplsabdullah

·
Registered
144 Posts
For anyone interested - we had a Scorpène White we sent for photography, and the underside of the lugs got a wee bit scratched during bracelet swaps. I just added it to the Nearly New section on the site. Other than those scratches under the lugs, it's a pristine new piece, and we can assemble it with either the BOR or the Oyster bracelet.
Got an ETA on the nearly new Swiftsure-White No Date? :unsure:;)

·
Vendor
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,057 (Edited)
I just got 5 watches back, after being out on loan for photography, for what felt like a loooooonnnnggggg time. Once again, my collection is all back together, in one place. I figured I'd do a SOTC (state of the collection) post, with some thoughts, and contemplations.

For anyone who's ever wondered how many watches I have, which ones, why, and how they're organized, here goes...

(And pardon the craptastic photos. Showing off my collection is not what this is about...)

First off, the case holds 24, obviously. And there are 3 empty spots, which I'm not necessarily looking to fill.

Right off the bat, whether I own 24, or 21, or even 20, that's just too many, for me, I think, UNLESS I consider them all "keepers", for whatever reason. I feel like I'm really close, but there are still a few moves I'm thinking of making.

As far as organization goes, it's pretty straight-forward, my eight most-worn/favorite 40mm Subs in the front row. The other 2 Subs and the v.2 Tropics prototypes in the middle row, 3 DevilRays, 2 Lew & Hueys, and 2 Seikos in the top row.

For the front row, I basically organize them black-color-black-color-black-color. The ones in the front row are the ones I tend to wear most often. Positioning in the other two rows has no bearing on how often any of the other watches get worn.

When choosing a watch to wear, I usually look for something that matches the clothes I'm wearing, more or less, and I try to pull something I haven't worn in a while, but which will also be appropriate for whatever I'm doing that day, not that I frequently do anything which should have any bearing.

From the top left...

My white Cerberus has been modded with the orange rehaut from the blue-dialed version. I realized after mass production that this was the color combo we should have done. Since it's a one-of-a-kind, as far as I know, I don't think I'd ever sell it, even though I seldom wear it. In the back of my mind, I might make something similar one day, and I'll want it available for reference.

The blue Spectre 2, no-date, with orange seconds hand is, in my opinion, the best version of all the Spectres. I picked it up used from a guy on Facebook last year. It doesn't get worn much, but it's a fun watch, and fun to look at. Both my sons like it, so I figure I'll give it to one or the other eventually, which was sort of my plan when I bought it. So, it, too, seems like a keeper (for now).

Next up, the DevilRays.

The black is a v.1. The other two are v.2's. I had these same 3 colors of the v.1's, but sold the white and the blue when we had the v.2's in production.

I'd like to sell the black v.2, also. It's currently the only Swiss movement in my collection, with the STP1-11 inside. It runs fine, but I think I'd like my collection to be 100% Japanese movements, mostly because I just don't want to think about future maintenance, ever, but also because I feel like I should practice what I preach, vis-a-vis my movement preferences as a manufacturer.

I already have its replacement, a black v.2, still sitting in its travel case on the shelf in my office.

Here's the other thing - I've had these three v.2's since July, and I haven't sized the bracelet on any of them yet. So the black and the white have never been worn, and the blue has only been worn because I put it on that strap.

I haven't worn the black v.2 because I still have the v.1, and that silicone strap from Seiko is crazy-comfortable. But why haven't I sized the bracelet and worn the white?

Part of it is that I've come to hate screwing around with sizing and changing bracelets, so it's just plain old procrastination. Part of it is that I have too damned many watches to choose from. Part of it may be that as much as I love how this watch looks, I just don't seem to get along well with most white-faced watches.

So...I'm thinking that one of the blacks has to go, either the v.1 or the v.2, and eventually, probably the white, too.

Seiko SBDC053 and a steel Samurai on a fitted Crafter Blue strap. I bought both of these together, in a too-good-to-pass-up deal from an AD in NY. For what I paid, I figured I couldn't possibly lose money if I ever decide to sell either or both.

I've worn them both, probably a half dozen times each. I don't really love either of them, for various reasons. I prefer no-date watches, I don't like either handset, and I think both bezel inserts are aluminum. I don't mind the lower-beat movements in them (6r15 / NE15 in the SBDC, 4r35 / NH35 in the Samurai). I got both because I think both have really interesting case designs, and figured I might want to have them on hand for reference if I ever want to do something similar.

The SBDC wears really well, despite its somewhat porky dimensions (42.5mm diameter, 50mm lug length, and 14mm thickness). It really doesn't seem that large, and is very comfortable on another of those silicone straps from Seiko.

I have the bracelet for the Samurai, but it's still in the plastic-wrap, in the box. The Samurai feels much bigger, and is less comfortable. It may have something to do with the Crafter Blue strap, which is good quality, but just a tad on the stiff side, and it seems I can't get a good fit. It's either one hole too tight or one hole too loose on my wrist.

Still, unless and until I decide I don't need them around for reference, both their positions are safe, for now.

V.2 Tropics prototypes.

I had 2 of the v.1 Tropics, a Champagne Antilles and a Mint Azores, but sold them both within the last few months, once I decided to produce the v.2's. I wear these protos on the rubber strap because the bracelet samples won't fit these v.1 cases.

The v.2 dials are jammed into the v.1 prototype cases, so tight that the bezels can't be turned. Once we get the new v.2's in, I'll probably grab one (or two) of those, and hand these back over to Dan for use as parts donors.

When people ask how many watches I have, I'm honestly not sure if I should count prototypes or not, when I know I don't plan to keep them. So, in my mind, these may be sitting in my case, but they're not really "part of the collection".

The Nazario Azzurro and The Vanguard...

John Keil from Watch Gauge says this Nazario is one of, if not the best-looking watch I've ever made. I waffled on whether or not I wanted one when we first got them in. My wife loved it. I thought I loved it, but for some reason, I didn't keep one, and instead shipped them all to Watch Gauge.

Then I changed my mind a few months later, and told him to send me one. It gets worn here and there, but I'm just not wearing red-white-and-blue enough that it would get the obvious nod when I go to pull a watch out of the case. So, it'll likely be sold, eventually.

Kaj from Serious Watches LOVES the Vanguard. I personally think it's a solid design, which, along with the Tikuna, was somewhat meant to be the first step in a new direction for the brand, towards more original designs, fewer homages. The main design elements echo the DevilRay, the Cerberus, and the Orthos.

But here again - my wife loved it, and I thought I loved it, but I just wasn't sure I wanted it in the collection. After wavering a while, I gave it a spot, but it's basically sitting there waiting on me to wear the one shirt I own that it perfectly complements, which makes me think it, too, will eventually be moved on.

Next to the Cerberus, the Scorpène Black has been in my collection the longest. That's actually one of the original 8 Subs prototypes, and it's been through hell (which, with my habits, just means I never put thread-locker on the bracelet screws until after the 3rd time it went flying off my wrist).

There's just something about it. It completely cured my lust for a Sinn 857 (mostly, I think). TRUE STORY - when I sent it off for photography, and on Whirled Tour with the Fanmen, I missed it so much I actually started shopping for mod parts, thinking I could make myself something just like it. Thankfully, I snapped to the realization - "You idiot! You already have one! It's just out on loan. Calm your tits!"

So...if black Scorpène is good, blue is also good, which is why those bros are sitting next to each other. Both make their way into regular rotation.

What's there to say about the Renegade? It was inspired by one single image of a weathered Tudor Snowflake Sub, an image that served as a reference for the entire 40mm Subs range, and helped launch NTH.

The Näcken Modern Blue is also a prototype, sort of. It was cobbled together from a production case and a one-off dial and bezel insert my vendors made before we approved them for mass production. It's now on a v.2 bracelet, so it's become sort of a Frankenwatch. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but due to its versatility, it still gets worn a good bit.

For now, I think all four of these are keepers, unless I get tired of any of them, or decide to update to a newer version (I'm just thinking about if we change the color of the Modern Blue's dial to be a closer match to the bezel, like the Odin Blue).

Barracuda Vintage Black and the Barracuda Brown are definite keepers. They're not going anywhere.

No, I don't have a lot of ensembles in my wardrobe which call for a brown watch to be worn, but piss off, I love this watch, so it's staying. I will fight you if you try to take it from me. It's quirky cool, like a hot girl that reads comic books. Shush. She doesn't know how sexy she is.

That leaves the Odin Black and the Odin Blue.

I wanted a vintage Omega Seamaster 300, which is basically unobtainium, or a Seamaster Professional ref. 2254.50 (which would be perfect without the stupid HEV knob at 10, and with a steel bezel insert), but the Odins have more or less satisfied my lust for either. They both get into the rotation fairly regularly, though not as much as some of the others, so the jury on whether or not either is a keeper is still out.

What else?

Well...I sent the Swiftsure I'd been wearing on a rubber strap to Rusty, so he could try it out. Here it is, on his furry wrist...

It's since been moved on to another of the Fanmen, for the same reason.

I didn't think I wanted a 2K1 when I first got them in, but wearing one for a while (especially on that strap) has me thinking I might, if only to be able to show it off at GTG's, and on the very rare occasion I feel like offending someone by wearing what many would consider to be an obscenely large watch.

I still don't know which 2K1 I like best, though, so we'll see if any of them make their way into the case. I'm thinking maybe a Thresher, but that white Swiftsure also calls to me. Then again, the black Swiftsure also has its allure...

And, this just came in, purchased from that WeirdGuy (I'm not calling him weird, that's his user name), who was a regular in this thread not too long ago...

I know, I know...you've got questions...

"Chris, why are you buying your own watches used, and why isn't it in the case with the others?"

Okay...first, when we have a new release coming in, my first thought is SELLING watches, not putting more into my own collection. When a model is in demand, and my retailers want them, I sell them, because this is a business (or at least, it's supposed to be), after all.

Second, I bought it thinking I'd most likely add it to the Nearly New section on the website, but in the back of my mind, there was also the thought that I might want it for myself.

You see, when we got these in, we pulled one out to be a photo sample. I wasn't sure if I'd keep it, or sell it as Nearly New. Much like some other designs, my wife loves it, and I think I love it, but I'm just not sure I love it enough that I'd wear it often enough to justify giving it a spot in my case.

As I was in Dan's shop, separating the photo samples, and telling Dan all this, he interrupted, "I'll take it!"

I mean...it's Dan. How can I say no? Especially when I wasn't convinced I wanted it. I mean, it's white. I don't really do white. The only white dial in my collection that's stood the test of time is the Cerberus, and it barely ever gets worn (partly because the crown is hard to pull out).

If it went with anything in my wardrobe, it'd be in the case already. That's part of the problem. I don't know what I'd wear that would say to me, "Do it. Grab the Polar. It's his day."

So, I let Dan take the photo sample.

In the meantime, you may remember he (WeirdGuy) opened the case to see if the 2K1 and 40mm Subs dials were the same size (they're not). When I saw he was selling it, I figured it'd be a good buy, for me, because I own the company. I had him send it to Dan to make sure everything was kosher.

So...for now, I haven't sized the bracelet, and it's still sitting in the box, at the corner of my desk, taunting me with albino temptation.

For those not keeping score...

There are currently 21 watches in the case, and 3 outside of it: the v.2 DevilRay Black, waiting on me to sell the v.1; the Barracuda Polar; and possibly a Swiftsure or Thresher, for a total collection of 24 (sort of, kind of, depending on how you count what's "in the collection").

As I stipulated earlier, that's just too damned many, for me, considering I only wear a watch for a few hours at a time, and only a few days per week, if that.

Of those 24...

The four v.2 Tropics protos are definitely coming out, once the production pieces are in, come March or April. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking I'll grab ONE of the v.2 Tropics, and call it a day. That'll get me down to 21.

Unless I grab two, in which case, 22. But I'm really trying to limit myself to just one.

The black v.1 DevilRay is "for sale", but I haven't gotten around to posting it up anywhere. Either it or the v.2 MUST go. That'll get me to 20.

I should probably bite the bullet, and sell the v.2 DevilRay white, the Nazario, and the Vanguard. I'm not really in any rush, but eventually, I'll get around to it, and I'll be down to 17.

I probably won't put the Barracuda Polar into the case. I think it's a great design and color scheme, but it's just not for me. If we do a GTG, Dan will be there with his, if anyone wants to see it. Now we're down to 16.

I probably won't add a 2K1, not because they're too big for me, but because I'm probably going to be updating the 40mm Subs case to be a shrunk-down version of the 2K1's, and I'll probably be adding one or more of those to the collection. If anyone wants to know what a 2K1 looks like, and I don't have one, I can just show them a v.2 40mm Sub, and tell them the 2K1's are the same, but bigger.

Until I do add a v.2 Sub, that brings me down to 15, but we just opened up a whole other can of worms...

A new 40mm Subs case would make the entire first row of my collection "obsolete". What if I like the new case better? I might. I'm going to want to replace all of those 40mm Subs with their updated versions, assuming we make updated versions of all of them.

All of those moves to update to the new case would be one-in-one-out, unless we also come up with new versions (which we no doubt will), and I want to add some of those to the collection (which is a distinct possibility).

Where were we? 15? Awesome. I was hoping to get down to 12, but now we're headed in the opposite direction...

So...that's the SOTC, for now.

If any of you think you see a path to me having a smaller collection, let me know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just got 5 watches back, after being out on loan for photography, for what felt like a loooooonnnnggggg time. Once again, my collection is all back together, in one place. I figured I'd to a SOTC (state of the collection) post, with some thoughts, and contemplations.

For anyone who's ever wondered how many watches I have, which ones, why, and how they're organized, here goes...

(And pardon the craptastic photos. Showing off my collection is not what this is about...)

View attachment 15648940

First off, the case holds 24, obviously. And there are 3 empty spots, which I'm not necessarily looking to fill.

Right off the bat, whether I own 24, or 21, or even 20, that's just too many, for me, I think, UNLESS I consider them all "keepers", for whatever reason. I feel like I'm really close, but there are still a few moves I'm thinking of making.

As far as organization goes, it's pretty straight-forward, my eight most-worn/favorite 40mm Subs in the front row. The other 2 Subs and the v.2 Tropics prototypes in the middle row, 3 DevilRays, 2 Lew & Hueys, and 2 Seikos in the top row.

For the front row, I basically organize them black-color-black-color-black-color. The ones in the front row are the ones I tend to wear most often. Positioning in the other two rows has no bearing on how often any of the other watches get worn.

When choosing a watch to wear, I usually look for something that matches the clothes I'm wearing, more or less, and I try to pull something I haven't worn in a while, but which will also be appropriate for whatever I'm doing that day, not that I frequently do anything which should have any bearing.

From the top left...

View attachment 15648952

My white Cerberus has been modded with the orange rehaut from the blue-dialed version. I realized after mass production that this was the color combo we should have done. Since it's a one-of-a-kind, as far as I know, I don't think I'd ever sell it, even though I seldom wear it. In the back of my mind, I might make something similar one day, and I'll want it available for reference.

The blue Spectre 2, no-date, with orange seconds hand is, in my opinion, the best version of all the Spectres. I picked it up used from a guy on Facebook last year. It doesn't get worn much, but it's a fun watch, and fun to look at. Both my sons like it, so I figure I'll give it to one or the other eventually, which was sort of my plan when I bought it. So, it, too, seems like a keeper (for now).

View attachment 15648958

Next up, the DevilRays.

The black is a v.1. The other two are v.2's. I had these same 3 colors of the v.1's, but sold the white and the blue when we had the v.2's in production.

I'd like to sell the black v.2, also. It's currently the only Swiss movement in my collection, with the STP1-11 inside. It runs fine, but I think I'd like my collection to be 100% Japanese movements, mostly because I just don't want to think about future maintenance, ever, but also because I feel like I should practice what I preach, vis-a-vis my movement preferences as a manufacturer.

I already have its replacement, a black v.2, still sitting in its travel case on the shelf in my office.

Here's the other thing - I've had these three v.2's since July, and I haven't sized the bracelet on any of them yet. So the black and the white have never been worn, and the blue has only been worn because I put it on that strap.

I haven't worn the black v.2 because I still have the v.1, and that silicone strap from Seiko is crazy-comfortable. But why haven't I sized the bracelet and worn the white?

Part of it is that I've come to hate screwing around with sizing and changing bracelets, so it's just plain old procrastination. Part of it is that I have too damned many watches to choose from. Part of it may be that as much as I love how this watch looks, I just don't seem to get along well with most white-faced watches.

So...I'm thinking that one of the blacks has to go, either the v.1 or the v.2, and eventually, probably the white, too.

View attachment 15648971

Seiko SBDC053 and a steel Samurai on a fitted Crafter Blue strap. I bought both of these together, in a too-good-to-pass-up deal from an AD in NY. For what I paid, I figured I couldn't possibly lose money if I ever decide to sell either or both.

I've worn them both, probably a half dozen times each. I don't really love either of them, for various reasons. I prefer no-date watches, I don't like either handset, and I think both bezel inserts are aluminum. I don't mind the lower-beat movements in them (6r15 / NE15 in the SBDC, 4r35 / NH35 in the Samurai). I got both because I think both have really interesting case designs, and figured I might want to have them on hand for reference if I ever want to do something similar.

The SBDC wears really well, despite its somewhat porky dimensions (42.5mm diameter, 50mm lug length, and 14mm thickness). It really doesn't seem that large, and is very comfortable on another of those silicone straps from Seiko.

I have the bracelet for the Samurai, but it's still in the plastic-wrap, in the box. The Seiko feels much bigger, and is less comfortable. It may have something to do with the Crafter Blue strap, which is good quality, but just a tad on the stiff side, and it seems I can't get a good fit. It's either one hole too tight or one hole too loose on my wrist.

Still, unless and until I decide I don't need them around for reference, both their positions are safe, for now.

View attachment 15648982

V.2 Tropics prototypes.

I had 2 of the v.1 Tropics, a Champagne Antilles and a Mint Azores, but sold them both within the last few months, once I decided to produce the v.2's. I wear these protos on the rubber strap because the bracelet samples won't fit these v.1 cases.

The v.2 dials are jammed into the v.1 prototype cases, so tight that the bezels can't be turned. Once we get the new v.2's in, I'll probably grab one (or two) of those, and hand these back over to Dan for use as parts donors.

When people ask how many watches I have, I'm honestly not sure if I should count prototypes or not, when I know I don't plan to keep them. So, in my mind, these may be sitting in my case, but they're not really "part of the collection".

View attachment 15649004

The Nazario Azzurro and The Vanguard...

John Keil from Watch Gauge says this Nazario is one of, if not the best-looking watch I've ever made. I waffled on whether or not I wanted one when we first got them in. My wife loved it. I thought I loved it, but for some reason, I didn't keep one, and instead shipped them all to Watch Gauge.

Then I changed my mind a few months later, and told him to send me one. It gets worn here and there, but I'm just not wearing red-white-and-blue enough that it would get the obvious nod when I go to pull a watch out of the case. So, it'll likely be sold, eventually.

Kaj from Serious Watches LOVES the Vanguard. I personally think it's a solid design, which was somewhat meant to be the first step in a new direction for the brand, towards more original designs, fewer homages. The main design elements echo the DevilRay, the Cerberus, and the Orthos.

But here again - my wife loved it, and I thought I loved it, but I just wasn't sure I wanted it in the collection. After wavering a while, I gave it a spot, but it's basically sitting there waiting on me to wear the one shirt I own that it perfectly complements, which makes me think it, too, will eventually be moved on.

View attachment 15648985

Next to the Cerberus, the Scorpène Black has been in my collection the longest. That's actually one of the original 8 Subs prototypes, and it's been through hell (which, with my habits, just means I never put thread-locker on the bracelet screws until after the 3rd time it went flying off my wrist).

There's just something about it. It completely cured my lust for a Sinn 857 (mostly, I think). TRUE STORY - when I sent it off for photography, and on Whirled Tour with the Fanmen, I missed it so much I actually started shopping for mod parts, thinking I could make myself something just like it. Thankfully, I snapped to the realization - "You idiot! You already have one! It's just out on loan. Calm your tits!"

So...if black Scorpène is good, blue is also good, which is why those bros are sitting next to each other. Both make their way into regular rotation.

What's there to say about the Renegade? It was inspired by one single image of a weathered Tudor Snowflake Sub, an image that served as a reference for the entire 40mm Subs range, and helped launch NTH.

The Näcken Modern Blue is also a prototype, sort of. It was cobbled together from a production case and a one-off dial and bezel insert my vendors made before we approved them for mass production. It's now on a v.2 bracelet, so it's become sort of a Frankenwatch. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but due to its versatility, it still gets worn a good bit.

For now, I think all four of these are keepers, unless I get tired of any of them, or decide to update to a newer version (I'm just thinking about if we change the color of the Modern Blue's dial to be a closer match to the bezel, like the Odin Blue).

View attachment 15649024

Barracuda Vintage Black and the Barracuda Brown are definite keepers. They're not going anywhere.

No, I don't have a lot of ensembles in my wardrobe which call for a brown watch to be worn, but piss off, I love this watch, so it's staying. I will fight you if you try to take it from me. It's quirky cool, like a hot girl that reads comic books. Shush. She doesn't know how sexy she is.

That leaves the Odin Black and the Odin Blue.

I wanted a vintage Omega Seamaster 300, which is basically unobtainium, or a Seamaster Professional ref. 2254.50 (which would be perfect without the stupid HEV knob at 10, and with a steel bezel insert), but the Odins have more or less satisfied my lust for either. They both get into the rotation fairly regularly, though not as much as some of the others, so the jury on whether or not either is a keeper is still out.

What else?

Well...I sent the Swiftsure I'd been wearing on a rubber strap to Rusty, so he could try it out. Here it is, on his furry wrist...

View attachment 15649033

It's since been moved on to another of the Fanmen, for the same reason.

I didn't think I wanted a 2K1 when I first got them in, but wearing one for a while (especially on that strap) has me thinking I might, if only to be able to show it off at GTG's, and on the very rare occasion I feel like offending someone by wearing what many would consider to be an obscenely large watch.

I still don't know which 2K1 I like best, though, so we'll see if any of them make their way into the case. I'm thinking maybe a Thresher, but that white Swiftsure also calls to me. Then again, the black Swiftsure also has its allure...

And, this just came in, purchased from that WeirdGuy (I'm not calling him weird, that's his user name), who was a regular in this thread not too long ago...

View attachment 15649034

I know, I know...you've got questions...

"Chris, why are you buying your own watches used, and why isn't it in the case with the others?"

Okay...first, when we have a new release coming in, my first thought is SELLING watches, not putting more into my own collection. When a model is in demand, and my retailers want them, I sell them, because this is a business (or at least, it's supposed to be), after all.

Second, I bought it thinking I'd most likely add it to the Nearly New section on the website, but in the back of my mind, there was also the thought that I might want it for myself.

You see, when we got these in, we pulled one out to be a photo sample. I wasn't sure if I'd keep it, or sell it as Nearly New. Much like some other designs, my wife loves it, and I think I love it, but I'm just not sure I love it enough that I'd wear it often enough to justify giving it a spot in my case.

As I was in Dan's shop, separating the photo samples, and telling Dan all this, he interrupted, "I'll take it!"

I mean...it's Dan. How can I say no? Especially when I wasn't convinced I wanted it. I mean, it's white. I don't really do white. The only white dial in my collection that's stood the test of time is the Cerberus, and it barely ever gets worn (partly because the crown is hard to pull out).

If it went with anything in my wardrobe, it'd be in the case already. That's part of the problem. I don't know what I'd wear that would say to me, "Do it. Grab the Polar. It's his day."

So, I let Dan take the photo sample.

In the meantime, you may remember he (WeirdGuy) opened the case to see if the 2K1 and 40mm Subs dials were the same size (they're not). When I saw he was selling it, I figured it'd be a good buy, for me, because I own the company. I had him send it to Dan to make sure everything was kosher.

So...for now, I haven't sized the bracelet, and it's still sitting in the box, at the corner of my desk, taunting me with albino temptation.

For those not keeping score...

There are currently 21 watches in the case, and 3 outside of it: the v.2 DevilRay Black, waiting on me to sell the v.1; the Barracuda Polar; and possibly a Swiftsure or Thresher, for a total collection of 24 (sort of, kind of, depending on how you count what's "in the collection").

As I stipulated earlier, that's just too damned many, for me, considering I only wear a watch for a few hours at a time, and only a few days per week, if that.

Of those 24...

The four v.2 Tropics protos are definitely coming out, once the production pieces are in, come March or April. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking I'll grab ONE of the v.2 Tropics, and call it a day. That'll get me down to 21.

Unless I grab two, in which case, 22. But I'm really trying to limit myself to just one.

The black v.1 DevilRay is "for sale", but I haven't gotten around to posting it up anywhere. Either it or the v.2 MUST go. That'll get me to 20.

I should probably bite the bullet, and sell the v.2 DevilRay white, the Nazario, and the Vanguard. I'm not really in any rush, but eventually, I'll get around to it, and I'll be down to 17.

I probably won't put the Barracuda Polar into the case. I think it's a great design and color scheme, but it's just not for me. If we do a GTG, Dan will be there with his, if anyone wants to see it. Now we're down to 16.

I probably won't add a 2K1, not because they're too big for me, but because I'm probably going to be updating the 40mm Subs case to be a shrunk-down version of the 2K1's, and I'll probably be adding one or more of those to the collection. If anyone wants to know what a 2K1 looks like, and I don't have one, I can just show them a v.2 40mm Sub, and tell them the 2K1's are the same, but bigger.

Until I do add a v.2 Sub, that brings me down to 15, but we just opened up a whole other can of worms...

A new 40mm Subs case would make the entire first row of my collection "obsolete". What if I like the new case better? I might. I'm going to want to replace all of those 40mm Subs with their updated versions, assuming we make updated versions of all of them.

All of those moves to update to the new case would be one-in-one-out, unless we also come up with new versions (which we no doubt will), and I want to add some of those to the collection (which is a distinct possibility).

Where were we? 15? Awesome. I was hoping to get down to 12, but now we're headed in the opposite direction...

So...that's the SOTC, for now.

If any of you think you see a path to me having a smaller collection, let me know.
Wow! WoT for sure! Love it!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

5041 - 5060 of 5155 Posts