WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5741 - 5760 of 5917 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
So, I wrapped up my call with my IP attorney about an hour ago.

I'm not paying him to have an opinion about the Kiger Milsub case, so I only gave him the Reader's Digest version. His response was that Rolex could (or should) get laughed out of the USPTO office, UNLESS they can show prior use of the "Milsub" term - prior to Kiger's use of it.

As for me, he basically said:

1. Shut up, Chris. Stop talking about it.

There was more, but on the advice of legal counsel, I'm not going to talk about it. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Here’s what happened: I bought one of the remaining Kigers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,742
Here’s what happened: I bought one of the remaining Kigers.

For real though - I don't know how many he has left, but anyone who wants one should get one now. They might become seriously valuable, depending on how this whole thing shakes out.

Reactions: Twehttam

·
Registered
185 Posts
For real though - I don't know how many he has left, but anyone who wants one should get one now. They might become seriously valuable, depending on how this whole thing shakes out.
I reached out to him but at least all the Red Ronins are gone. Looks like there's been a ton of interest in the last day or so judging by the Facebook page, this whole Rolecks thing is just free advertising for the brand

·
Vendor
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,745
Reactions: zepX

·
Registered
300 Posts
I reached out to him but at least all the Red Ronins are gone. Looks like there's been a ton of interest in the last day or so judging by the Facebook page, this whole Rolecks is just free advertising for the brand
I just had a quick conversation with him and they are all gone. There are no Kiger’s available and no idea when there may be more......

·
Vendor
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,748
I wonder how many of the people who bought one since that story broke had never heard of Kiger before, but liked the watch enough to buy one, and how many bought it because they think they'll suddenly become super-rare collectibles.

I guess the secondary market prices will give us some clue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wonder how many of the people who bought one since that story broke had never heard of Kiger before, but liked the watch enough to buy one, and how many bought it because they think they'll suddenly become super-rare collectibles.

I guess the secondary market prices will give us some clue.
I imagine it both, plus a mix of people who were on the fence and then decided to jump on one to support them in light of this whole thing.
As for me, I had always liked them but I thought they had been sold through Nth and sold out considering they were limited edition. I never considered it further until today and then it was too late!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I imagine it both, plus a mix of people who were on the fence and then decided to jump on one to support them in light of this whole thing.
As for me, I had always liked them but I thought they had been sold through Nth and sold out considering they were limited edition. I never considered it further until today and then it was too late!
this is the boat I’m in. I always liked them but wasn’t sure how they were sold. Plus there were other watches I was chasing and I figured there would always be another opportunity to pick up a Kiger. When I heard about the story I realized waiting probably hadn’t been the best strategy.

·
Vendor
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,751
"Limited production"

Emphasis on the "limited".

Reactions: rpm1974 and Avo

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Nah it’s Joint Base Balad. I found the photo online but my older brothers best friend (who is basically just my other older brother) was stationed there during the war in Iraq and the Subway was his slice of home away from home. Subway is a fixture in our family because of it.
Yeah, Subway is a fixture on many a AF base and deployed location. I don't remember there being one in Iraq on the base I was at, but they were definitely in Qatar and PSAB in Saudi.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
So, I wrapped up my call with my IP attorney about an hour ago.

I'm not paying him to have an opinion about the Kiger Milsub case, so I only gave him the Reader's Digest version. His response was that Rolex could (or should) get laughed out of the USPTO office, UNLESS they can show prior use of the "Milsub" term - prior to Kiger's use of it.

As for me, he basically said:

1. Shut up, Chris. Stop talking about it.

There was more, but on the advice of legal counsel, I'm not going to talk about it. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
That point 1, he just meant generally.

2. “Nod to History.” You and I know. T-Effin-M

Thanks for getting all the “lawyers” to the yard, doc, reminds me why I don’t practice law

Gents, freal, there are knowable facts that make most of this story a non-story.

A few watch geeks refer to Rolex Submariner-a literal ripoff of a mil-spec watch, nothing original about dial design but logo and name-as “milsub.” Rolex never called it that. Never printed it on dial. Can’t find the word on the website. Just unrelated geeks nicknaming it.

Kiger registers and uses before Rolex.

Now Rolex says milsub is indistinguishable from Rolex. ********. It’s used routinely to refer, also, to any watch that looks plus/minus like that mil-spec dial Victor found behind some file cabinet.

Sure, Kiger could lose the mark, but that doesn’t mean Rolex gets it. Rolex would have to show prior use. It can’t.

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
"Limited production"

Emphasis on the "limited".
How many Kigers have been made, total? I think no more than 300.

Which means his max profit is something like $100K. Which will vanish in a few days of legal maneuvering against Rolex.

Now, IMO, "milsub", like "nato", should not have been a trademarkable term, since it was in common generic use for decades. Dan Fock still calls one of his OWC watches a Milsub (but doesn't put it on the dial). Back in 2014, I sent him a message telling him that Kiger was trying to trademark the term; Dan said that he didn't care.

Dan had his own run-in with trademarks: the French telecommunications company Orange sued him to stop him calling his company "Orange Watch Company". He then switched to OWC, but later went back to orangewatchcompany.com as his main web site. Not sure what the current legal situation there is.

Anyway, yet another reason (as if one was needed!) to never EVER buy a Rolex product. Since I don't actually like any of them, this is easy for me.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Is that PSAB in Saudi Arabia? Cause, that whole scene looks familiar
PSAB= Prison Style Air Base. I spent the winter of '98-'99 there. Probably the best time of the year for a visit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
PSAB= Prison Style Air Base. I spent the winter of '98-'99 there. Probably the best time of the year for a visit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I got there 3 weeks before 9/11...

Reactions: docvail and MarkND
5741 - 5760 of 5917 Posts