WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
5,781 - 5,800 of 15,034 Posts
You're welcome, though having never served in combat, I always feel a little undeserving of anyone's thanks. For me, for the most part, it was a job, just one that I couldn't quit, which sometimes sucked, but as my old friend Sgt Mack once said, "Doc, some days it's just a long way to drive for breakfast."

As for the Azores - you'll think it's huge.

On paper, the dimensions are nearly identical to the Subs' - 40mm diameter, 48mm lug-to-luck, and a reasonable ~12mm thickness. But with the internal bezel, the crystal opening is ginormous by comparison. The Subs' crystal is 29.5mm. The Tropics' is 36.5mm. Also, whereas the Subs' mid-case is pretty sleek, and gives the Subs a wrist-hugging shape, the Tropics' profile is more "pot-with-legs", making it feel taller.

They're not really big watches. But they wear bigger than the Subs, and bigger than their dimensions would suggest. I'd say more like a 42mm than a 40mm.
Thanks for the feedback!
Well, I also want a brown Barracuda, but I think I'd like this more. There are a few dial styles that have smacked me upside the head like a thunderbolt over the years since I got in this hobby, and this is one of them. I'm sure I could brainstorm a few others, but off the top of my head:
1) This on the Azores
2) The Rolex Submariner
3) The typical Damasko dial with Arabics and a crosshair
4) Omega Railmaster

Also, with my eyesight on the slow decline (nothing serious), the slight uptick in size to 40mm is fine on a watch as long as it still wears OK - the slightly bigger size is welcome on the readability front. I appreciate your honesty on how this wears, but I suspect it will be fine with the 48mm lug to lug. Wearable size, but reads like a bigger disk is a good thing with me, if that's how this would work out.

So, I wrapped up my call with my IP attorney about an hour ago.

1. Shut up, Chris. Stop talking about it.

There was more, but on the advice of legal counsel, I'm not going to talk about it. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Had to catch up to several days of posts in here and I have to say the whole discussion on the "legal stuff" has been very interesting to me. Yet another angle where this forum is just plain to FUN.

Hey any chance you could post some comparison shots from the side? Do they wear about the same?
I'm sure I have a side by side somewhere on my phone. Here are a couple wrist shots for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More crap snow and sleet today. looking at my lonely grills.. living in the cold, and snow, freezing their stainless steel asses off.. and my Skipjack saying HI.

I'm sure I have a side by side somewhere on my phone. Here are a couple wrist shots for now.

Can I just say, I almost exclusively choose no date on a watch when it's an option, but the date on the Icarus is so perfectly executed that not only did I get it over the no-date, it also convinced me to get the Icarus over the Meteora, which is what I had originally gone to the site to buy.

Discussion starter · #5,791 ·
Internet and cable here got knocked out about 5 hours ago.

I'm not saying I might murder, but these people who live in my house should tread lightly.

I was in High School on 9/11.

How is it I'm 36 and you dudes make me feel like a toddler in two quick statements?
I was in High School on 9/11.

How is it I'm 36 and you dudes make me feel like a toddler in two quick statements?
I remember Elvis' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Do the math.

Hey any chance you could post some comparison shots from the side? Do they wear about the same?
Here are some side by side comparisons.

They both wear very similar, although the Teleios has the bigger dial. The case on the Sub appears slightly thinner but that may be because the bezel can take away some of the visual impact, and the lugs are shaped slightly more narrow and pointed due to the extra length.

Discussion starter · #5,797 ·
Reactions: docvail and kpjimmy
Ok NTH Family, so im not looking for a free handout or anything like that, just some off the cuff thoughts on next steps.
Not sure if i have an issue with my Amphion Vintage Gilt or not.
I have 2 NTH currently (Amphion VIntage Gilt, Skipjack)
the skipjack winds the mainspring and sets the time butter smooth.
The Amphion, when i wind the mainspring, feels like there is a lot of resistance on the stem. almost like a super tight and dry o-ring was providing resistance.
and when I set the time, there is the same resistance, and also sometimes the hands feel like they skip ahead or the stem skips and the hands stay still. its very subtle, but I have not had this with any other watches.
and since the Amphion is my favorite in my collection, i just wanted some thoughts from my fav NTH crew.
It seems to still be keeping very good time, =- a few seconds per day.
just wondering guys,
thanks.
EDIT, every thread needs pics.

My Nacken vintage black w/date was doing the same! Mine was new in September if I recall correctly. Last week I took it to my watch guy. A tiny bit of lube on gaskets around stem and it is all better now.

When I took it out of my pocket to show him he said one word when he looked at it... "Wow!"

5,781 - 5,800 of 15,034 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.