WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6401 - 6420 of 6580 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've just put an offer in for an NTH. I won't say where, and which as I don't want anyone else to come and gazump me.
If it's successful I'm hoping one of wus irregulars will be able to bring it over to me here England land.
Stay tuned. Might yet have my first NTH.

Question
Is there anybody here in the UK who would be able to swap the hands? It'd be for the NTH, using oem hands.
I'd want someone who had done it before... a lot. Not just someone who's watched a YouTube video about it, and thinks it looks easy.
I haven't decided I definitely will do an hand swap, but it's in my mind.
I swapped the hands on my Barracuda and also on my Invicta, but I am no expert. If the watch is in the US then maybe you could ask @hwa or @jelliottz as they have both moded multiple NTH models.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Reactions: catsteeth

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It is in the states. But I'd want to see it in the hand, before I decide whether I'd want to swap. So yes, a little inconvenient. But that's the way it's got to play.
Thanks for the info though Omega'

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
A hand swap isn't too difficult, tbh, if you have access to the proper tools. A seconds hand swap for my Glycine Combat 6 Vintage led me down the rabbit hole of sourcing parts from the web and building my own entire watch.

I was bored with my solid black and white Glycine, and decided I wanted a splash of red. I had a spare seconds hand from a Hamilton whose dial I had absolutely ruined attempting a stupid repair when I in all odds couldve returned it, so I decided to give it a go. Turned into all of a 10 minute project. As I said, that led to an entire watch build. I will say, that can get frustrating, and getting a small seconds hand in place on its pin is a b*tch!

Standard C6 Vintage from the web

Mine

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
It is in the states. But I'd want to see it in the hand, before I decide whether I'd want to swap. So yes, a little inconvenient. But that's the way it's got to play.
Thanks for the info though Omega'
Send it to a trusted friend in US to check. If it’s good- what could be wrong?-swap the hands and send across the sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,407
I like these watches because I'm a Submariner. I showed my buddy the website and he immediately ordered a nearly-new Skpjack with date because his first boat was a Skipjack-class submarine. We both a got a little chuckle at the price: $585. That's the Skipjack's hull number!
Totally planned it that way.

Is it wrong to say that it has a Tudor Pelagos feel to it? The color, not the watch itself. I've only seen the blue Pelagos twice; in late-2017 and again in mid-2019 so my recollection and perceptions could be skewed.
It's not wrong. The Thresher took some inspiration from the Pelagos. But I think the blue of the Swiftsure/Thresher are fairly different from the Pelagos.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It's blue... inside lighting isn't a good thing for pics. I take one outside soon.
The dial is a deeper blue than the bezel.
From, I believe, the last run of Barracuda Blue. No ghost stop in the crown.
yeah, that's a real winner!
Yeah I'm aware that it's blue, but thanks anyway Dave. But like JLittle says, it actually really works in green, (as well as the blue).

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Send it to a trusted friend in US to check. If it’s good- what could be wrong?-swap the hands and send across the sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got someone who is by all accounts both reliable, and a decent chap, that I can send it too in the states. (I'm sick of paying 25% which is what duty + handling equals).
But like I said to Omegafanboy, I'd like to see it in my hand before I do the hand swap. I might decide I'd like to keep them.

I've yet to hear back from them about my offer on the watch.

·
Vendor
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,412
Wearing the Skipjack on a leather today. Very versatile design.

View attachment 15808454
I'm sure everyone wants to know more about that bezel insert - what watch it was made for, and where you got it.

Funnily enough, I was just checking out the Planet Oceans on Omega's website last night. I still love the orange bezel version best. I'm not sure they even make it any more, but if they do, it appears to only be available in 42mm (which I think I could pull off), and 45.5mm (which I know I can't), whereas the newer 39.5mm size only comes in black, blue, or white.

Reactions: nurpur

·
Vendor
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,413
Speaking of Omega...tell me what you guys think is going on here...

When I look at Omega's website, no matter what watches are there, they all say "waiting list" under the images when you hover over any of them, suggesting everything is sold out (and we know they're not sold out of everything).

(This image shows the orange-bezel version, which may in fact be sold out, and I think it is, but this is how ALL the watches appear, not just that version).

But when you go to the product page, you can either provide your email, OR, contact a boutique, about one.

(Again, I happen to like this one, which may be sold out, but this is how every product page appears, I think).

I find this strange.

First, are they trying to send the subliminal message that everything is sold out, and there's a waiting list for everything? Are they trying to out-scarcity Rolex?

Of course I understand the value in "exclusivity", but I question the wisdom of making a potential customer think there's simply nothing for sale, at any price, when they actually do have watches in stock. I imagine many would move on, and look for some other watch, rather than contacting or visiting a boutique.

Secondly, is Omega just collecting email addresses, presumably for doing email marketing? What does that look like? My gut tells me email marketing is less effective, and may even be counter-productive, for "luxury" brands.

If the only point is to be able to email someone to say, "the watch you want is in stock", I'd think there's a better way to go about converting that website visitor into a sale, like showing exactly where the watch is available, within a specified distance of the visitor's IP address.

Lastly, when I click "contact a boutique", it opens up a page for me to find a store by city or zip code. But when I plug my zip into the site, it returns no results, even though I know there's a boutique literally ten minutes from me, at the mall (albeit, in the next zip code over), and another one about fifteen minutes down the road (also in another zip code, but not far away, at all).

There's a store locator link at the bottom of the site, which does seem to work better. Beyond the 3 boutiques in my area, it returned a list of every store within a six-hour drive, a total of 50 locations, which seems like overkill.

I struggle to see the use-case scenario here. I'm not driving 6 hours just to see if a watch is in stock, and if I'm going to order a watch to be shipped to me, then it almost doesn't matter where in the country the watch is, and I just want to know which stores have it available. I'm not calling or emailing 50 places to ask. Odds are, I'm going to give up after a few attempts, unless I'm seriously determined to find that specific watch.

Is this just horrible website / UX design, or is there some method to Omega's madness, which I simply don't get?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm sure everyone wants to know more about that bezel insert - what watch it was made for, and where you got it.

Funnily enough, I was just checking out the Planet Oceans on Omega's website last night. I still love the orange bezel version best. I'm not sure they even make it any more, but if they do, it appears to only be available in 42mm (which I think I could pull off), and 45.5mm (which I know I can't), whereas the newer 39.5mm size only comes in black, blue, or white.
I posted the details for this a little while ago. A local ebay seller here in UK had this size and the one that usually would fit onto a 42mm PO. It fitted into the bezel nicely. Reason for doing this was that I prefer the thinner numbers on this insert compared to the original insert. I still would prefer an all black background but with the thinner font. I know each to their own. :)

Reactions: docvail

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Speaking of Omega...tell me what you guys think is going on here...

When I look at Omega's website, no matter what watches are there, they all say "waiting list" under the images when you hover over any of them, suggesting everything is sold out (and we know they're not sold out of everything).

(This image shows the orange-bezel version, which may in fact be sold out, and I think it is, but this is how ALL the watches appear, not just that version).

View attachment 15808570

But when you go to the product page, you can either provide your email, OR, contact a boutique, about one.

(Again, I happen to like this one, which may be sold out, but this is how every product page appears, I think).

View attachment 15808571

I find this strange.

First, are they trying to send the subliminal message that everything is sold out, and there's a waiting list for everything? Are they trying to out-scarcity Rolex?

Of course I understand the value in "exclusivity", but I question the wisdom of making a potential customer think there's simply nothing for sale, at any price, when they actually do have watches in stock. I imagine many would move on, and look for some other watch, rather than contacting or visiting a boutique.

Secondly, is Omega just collecting email addresses, presumably for doing email marketing? What does that look like? My gut tells me email marketing is less effective, and may even be counter-productive, for "luxury" brands.

If the only point is to be able to email someone to say, "the watch you want is in stock", I'd think there's a better way to go about converting that website visitor into a sale, like showing exactly where the watch is available, within a specified distance of the visitor's IP address.

Lastly, when I click "contact a boutique", it opens up a page for me to find a store by city or zip code. But when I plug my zip into the site, it returns no results, even though I know there's a boutique literally ten minutes from me, at the mall (albeit, in the next zip code over), and another one about fifteen minutes down the road (also in another zip code, but not far away, at all).

There's a store locator link at the bottom of the site, which does seem to work better. Beyond the 3 boutiques in my area, it returned a list of every store within a six-hour drive, a total of 50 locations, which seems like overkill.

I struggle to see the use-case scenario here. I'm not driving 6 hours just to see if a watch is in stock, and if I'm going to order a watch to be shipped to me, then it almost doesn't matter where in the country the watch is, and I just want to know which stores have it available. I'm not calling or emailing 50 places to ask. Odds are, I'm going to give up after a few attempts, unless I'm seriously determined to find that specific watch.

Is this just horrible website / UX design, or is there some method to Omega's madness, which I simply don't get?
It is almost as though their algorithm pulled the most common phrase from the WUS Rolex forum and used it to capture e-mail addresses :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Totally planned it that way.

It's not wrong. The Thresher took some inspiration from the Pelagos. But I think the blue of the Swiftsure/Thresher are fairly different from the Pelagos.
That's a good answer and just got you a sale. It tipped the scale, anyway. I was probably going to buy it anyway. Eventually. Surprised I waited this long. Blue Thresher w/date incoming . . .

6401 - 6420 of 6580 Posts