WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6821 - 6840 of 7535 Posts

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,821 ·
Can I just say what a huge fan I am of the Ron Swanson "I know more than you" response we get, when dealing with some customers?

Wait for it...

Aaannnndddd...there it is. I own some stuff, so I know all about this stuff, more than you.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Can I just say what a huge fan I am of the Ron Swanson "I know more than you" response we get, when dealing with some customers?

View attachment 15869855

View attachment 15869857

Wait for it...

View attachment 15869860

Aaannnndddd...there it is. I own some stuff, so I know all about this stuff, more than you.

View attachment 15869862

View attachment 15869864
Ron Swanson is my spirit animal. Him and Greg House.

There's your insight into my real life personality for today.

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,824 ·
Hi Doc. Missing the Odin!
The Odin misses you!

Seriously, what are we talking about? Did you sell one, and regret it, or are you waiting on the ones we just got in for QC?

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,825 ·
Ron Swanson is my spirit animal. Him and Greg House.

There's your insight into my real life personality for today.
I'd wager you're not generally as rude as the barnacle now turning my inbox into a toxic waste dump...

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,827 ·
I’ve learned to pop a bag of popcorn before catching up on this thread. And today I was not disappointed. Please don’t mind me… I’m just here for free entertainment while waiting for the new sub to be released.
For real. Most days even I know I'm just here to entertain, rather than actually inform.

This message isn't angry, that's just my thumbs typing furiously.

Reactions: GP_Photography

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oh boy, that should be a fun one to deal with. Gifted a Swiftsure. Maybe there is something wrong but man.

I just had a listen to some of my watches. They all make noise. I have a half dozen or so Miyota 9000 equipped watches. They all sound the same as my Thresher. Even my Omegas make noise. Different pitch maybe. The ETAs, the Longines. Incidentally, my sole Seiko with a 4R35 is the quietest.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wouldn't mind a Swiftsure. I'll buy it off of them for treefiddy.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I'd wager you're not generally as rude as the barnacle now turning my inbox into a toxic waste dump...

View attachment 15869965

View attachment 15869967
Nah. Not that salty. I'll call myself an idiot as easily as I do someone else. It is possible to be arrogant, egotistical and cocky while also admitting ones faults and shortcomings.

As for that clown. Let him keep running the rope out to hang himself. But I'm pretty sure that was already your plan.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do it. And then send him a bunch of messages about the “unacceptable scraping sound”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would immediately. Then I would post here demanding Chris fix it "or else."

Reactions: Ike2 and docvail

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

View attachment 15869855

View attachment 15869857

Wait for it...

View attachment 15869860

View attachment 15869862

View attachment 15869864
Yikes ! This is exactly the kind of person I didn’t want to sound like when I contacted you. Good Lord some customers are rude! And for the record no one lubes a watch like Dan lol. TBH I’ve never owned a 9015 that didn’t have a noisy rotor. It’s kind of the 9015 signature sound.

·
Registered
77 Posts

View attachment 15869855

View attachment 15869857

Wait for it...

View attachment 15869860

View attachment 15869862

View attachment 15869864
I’m actually glad you posted this. I had my Nazario on when I hopped in the car yesterday. Don’t remember how I moved my arm, but got a very noticeable, “ZING, Zing, zing, zing” spinning sound from the watch. I thought it was odd, but I have a bumper automatic from the 40/50s that sounds like a spring bouncing something off it (which it is) with similar volume. And the time keeping on the Nazario is stoopid good, so I figured it’s doing its thing. Now I know that it IS just the movement doing what it is designed to do. Good to hear!

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I’m actually glad you posted this. I had my Nazario on when I hopped in the car yesterday. Don’t remember how I moved my arm, but got a very noticeable, “ZING, Zing, zing, zing” spinning sound from the watch. I thought it was odd, but I have a bumper automatic from the 40/50s that sounds like a spring bouncing something off it (which it is) with similar volume. And the time keeping on the Nazario is stoopid good, so I figured it’s doing its thing. Now I know that it IS just the movement doing what it is designed to do. Good to hear!

If you have a glass top watch box, take your Nazario off and set it down, dial up, on the glass window. The glass with the hollow under works like a speaker and amplifies the sound of the free spin. It's pretty crazy if you've never heard it before.

Reactions: seatega and docvail

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,838 ·
In addition to a possible rope fetish and a confirmed keen eye for spring bar issues, you photo guy has some real camera skills. I think DevilRays are cool, but not for me. When I see these, I start to waiver a bit on that.

That's funny. One of the guys on our marketing team noticed the ropes, and made an off-hand remark about wondering what the photographers down-time activities might be.

I didn't specify what sort of props he should use. I just asked him to gin up some more "lifestyle" type shots, using whatever props he had around. I think the ropes are meant to evoke boats and sea-faring, which I guess aligns with the expected imagery associated with "diving" watches.

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,839 ·
Yikes ! This is exactly the kind of person I didn’t want to sound like when I contacted you. Good Lord some customers are rude! And for the record no one lubes a watch like Dan lol. TBH I’ve never owned a 9015 that didn’t have a noisy rotor. It’s kind of the 9015 signature sound.

You didn't sound like that. The vast majority of people who contact us don't. The vast majority of customers are nice enough, reasonable in their expectations, etc. Most of their support needs are handled with a minimum of fuss.

But I've come to realize, and grudgingly accept, that some fraction of a percent of customers will be some combination of stupid, lazy, cheap, or crazy.

It's got nothing to do with my business specifically, or watch geeks as a group. It's just the law of large numbers at work, and a reflection of humanity when observed in the macro.

Think about your daily experience. Most days, everyone you meet is relatively "normal". But eventually, and inevitably, you'll encounter someone who appears to be dumb as a box of rocks, or completely out of their mind.

Between the efforts we've gone to with our website and other customer communications, and my online activity, I think we probably have a smaller percentage of "stupid and / or crazy" within our customer ranks than many other brands.

My hope is that the ones with unreasonable expectations will self-select themselves right out of the picture, by choosing not to transact with my business. If they think it's because I'm an a**hole, I'm fine with that, so long as the mission is accomplished, and we don't have to deal with their lunacy.

But, in this case, someone bought this guy one of our watches as a gift, apparently. Those situations will happen. If there was a legit problem for us to sort out, we'd be working to sort it out, even if the guy was a jerk about it. Unfortunately, what this guy is (rudely) complaining about is in fact normal.

I don't love telling someone they can send a watch in for additional lubrication, when it isn't needed, especially if the person's been rude or lied to us (as this guy was and did). But it's the only solution we can offer, and if it smooths things over, we'll do it.

Sadly, even when we try to help, sometimes it's just not enough to please the customer.

There was another one earlier in the week, with a different issue. It really had nothing to do with us - nothing we did or didn't do. In fact, the customer's issue arose as a direct result of the customer's own decisions and actions.

But we still took the time (over an hour of my time) to try to understand what happened, and see if we could help in some way. That didn't stop the guy from lecturing us about our apparently poor service.

C'est la vie.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Helpful “how to” hint for solving loud rotor sounds:

1: fully wind movement
2: unscrew crown fully(if equipped)
3: grip crown gently with needle nose vice grips
4: in a sudden but stable motion, pull pliers away from watch case ensuring a safe removal
5: using straw nozzle expanding foam, fill case until expanding foam exits the crown tube
6: quickly screw crown back into position, by turning in a clockwise rotational motion
7: allow 3 hours for foam to stabilize, and fully penetrate the automatic movement(if equipped)
8: enjoy your newly muffled watch!

Sent from bizarro world via Tapatalk

6821 - 6840 of 7535 Posts