·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,841 ·
Helpful “how to” hint for solving loud rotor sounds:

1: fully wind movement
2: unscrew crown fully(if equipped)
3: grip crown gently with needle nose vice grips
4: in a sudden but stable motion, pull pliers away from watch case ensuring a safe removal
5: using straw nozzle expanding foam, fill case until expanding foam exits the crown tube
6: quickly screw crown back into position, by turning in a clockwise rotational motion
7: allow 3 hours for foam to stabilize, and fully penetrate the automatic movement(if equipped)
8: enjoy your newly muffled watch!

Sent from bizarro world via Tapatalk
You're joking, obviously, but I've seen and heard a surprising number of stories about attempted fixes which were profoundly ill-advised.

Filing a flat spot into the crown, grinding down the lugs, and one guy who ruined his expansion clasp trying to modify it - those are just the ones that stand out in my memory.

This message isn't angry, that's just my thumbs typing furiously.

Reactions: captainmorbid

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
You didn't sound like that. The vast majority of people who contact us don't. The vast majority of customers are nice enough, reasonable in their expectations, etc. Most of their support needs are handled with a minimum of fuss.

But I've come to realize, and grudgingly accept, that some fraction of a percent of customers will be some combination of stupid, lazy, cheap, or crazy.

It's got nothing to do with my business specifically, or watch geeks as a group. It's just the law of large numbers at work, and a reflection of humanity when observed in the macro.

Think about your daily experience. Most days, everyone you meet is relatively "normal". But eventually, and inevitably, you'll encounter someone who appears to be dumb as a box of rocks, or completely out of their mind.

Between the efforts we've gone to with our website and other customer communications, and my online activity, I think we probably have a smaller percentage of "stupid and / or crazy" within our customer ranks than many other brands.

My hope is that the ones with unreasonable expectations will self-select themselves right out of the picture, by choosing not to transact with my business. If they think it's because I'm an a**hole, I'm fine with that, so long as the mission is accomplished, and we don't have to deal with their lunacy.

But, in this case, someone bought this guy one of our watches as a gift, apparently. Those situations will happen. If there was a legit problem for us to sort out, we'd be working to sort it out, even if the guy was a jerk about it. Unfortunately, what this guy is (rudely) complaining about is in fact normal.

I don't love telling someone they can send a watch in for additional lubrication, when it isn't needed, especially if the person's been rude or lied to us (as this guy was and did). But it's the only solution we can offer, and if it smooths things over, we'll do it.

Sadly, even when we try to help, sometimes it's just not enough to please the customer.

There was another one earlier in the week, with a different issue. It really had nothing to do with us - nothing we did or didn't do. In fact, the customer's issue arose as a direct result of the customer's own decisions and actions.

But we still took the time (over an hour of my time) to try to understand what happened, and see if we could help in some way. That didn't stop the guy from lecturing us about our apparently poor service.

C'est la vie.
I've been enjoying reading about your CS issue, if that's completely the wrong way to phrase it, I hope you know what I mean.
Working in hospitality it's very similar. I work in Hotels where we really try our best for the customers. I can have hours and hours of paperwork and stuff to sort out, but before that I will spend literally hours trying to help customers with their sometimes very minor problems. That's fine, it's what we do.
From that I generally find 99% of guests are really nice people, are not meaning to be difficult, and don't mean to waste your time. Most people are a little unaware of how much time they take up, but that's okay. It's just very pleasant to help them.

The interesting thing out of all that. Based on my work experience, I'm tempted to say out in the real world nearly everybody is a decent, well meaning, and helpful person.
But I actually suspect that half of everyone we meet is in reality dangerously mental. A large percentage of people are homicidal, thieving, dishonest, and I wouldn't trust my pet gerbil with them for one minute.
It's just weird. How guests seem, vs how I suspect people generally are 🤔

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
The grinding down of the lugs is necessary, I heard one guy one time fell down and bloodied his wrist on them.
Lol 😂😂😂
That's post of the week 👍

Didn't the crown also pop out (because he'd ground the lugs), and kill him by servering his carotid artery. Then the lady who was passing with her new born baby slipped on the pool of his arterial blood. She fell off the train platform they were on, into the path of the speeding train which derailed with 700 passengers....the train hit the chemical plant making fireworks.... which was next to the nuclear submarine base... defcon 5 was declared by mistake.... full retaliatory launch was authorized....
I'm sorry, I just can't help it... 🤪

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gents...just a heads-up.

For the next round of DevilRays, we'll be raising the price. I haven't figured out how much yet. It'll be at least $550, if not $575. I can't help it, and can't avoid it. Shipping and other costs having been going up steadily. The last release was actually under-priced, without me realizing it until after I'd shipped them all. It is what it is.

There are still half a dozen DevilRays available at $525, though, from IntoWatch in S.Korea - 인투와치.

They have the white, no-date only, and the black, either with or without the date, though I think they're down to just one no-date.

I know, I know - the website is in Korean. My browser (Chrome) translates it automatically, but even so, I think the translation stops at some point before you can complete checkout.

That said, the owner, Jun, is fluent in English, based on my many communications with him, and is more than happy to assist anyone who wants to make a purchase from his store. As a bonus, the man seems to never be asleep, so he's likely to get back to you in a timely way, if you email him for assistance, at [email protected].

View attachment 15869694 View attachment 15869695
I relatively recently discovered the NTH watches and liking what I am seeing! Thanks for the heads up about the new Devilray. Is there a time estimate on when the new ones will be released? Fall 2021? Any significant changes in the new (second?) version?

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,850 ·
I relatively recently discovered the NTH watches and liking what I am seeing! Thanks for the heads up about the new Devilray. Is there a time estimate on when the new ones will be released? Fall 2021? Any significant changes in the new (second?) version?
Last year's release was the second (v.2) version. The v.1 was in 2018. The next releases, this year, will still be v.2.

We're expecting the first / next release around late July-ish. No major changes from last year's release, other than the price going up, and some additional colorways.

The black and white (silver) won't be back until the following release, likely later this year (October, if I had to guess) so the 6 pieces left in S. Korea are the last pieces of those colorways anyone will see for a while.

For the coming release (July), we'll have the sunburst blue (same as last year's release), and will be bringing back the turquoise and orange from the v.1.

We'll also have the Watch Gecko exclusive editions, though I suspect those will be at least a few weeks behind the others.

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,851 ·
Anyone looking for a Champagne v.1 Antilles? I'll vouch for the seller.

Reactions: PowerChucker

·
Registered
178 Posts
Last year's release was the second (v.2) version. The v.1 was in 2018. The next releases, this year, will still be v.2.

We're expecting the first / next release around late July-ish. No major changes from last year's release, other than the price going up, and some additional colorways.

The black and white (silver) won't be back until the following release, likely later this year (October, if I had to guess) so the 6 pieces left in S. Korea are the last pieces of those colorways anyone will see for a while.

For the coming release (July), we'll have the sunburst blue (same as last year's release), and will be bringing back the turquoise and orange from the v.1.

View attachment 15873289 View attachment 15873292 View attachment 15873299 View attachment 15873301

We'll also have the Watch Gecko exclusive editions, though I suspect those will be at least a few weeks behind the others.

View attachment 15873309 View attachment 15873310
Right on! Thanks for such a quick reply. That silver is what I have (had?) my eye on...that turquoise is something else:)

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,854 · (Edited)
I've been enjoying reading about your CS issue, if that's completely the wrong way to phrase it, I hope you know what I mean.
Working in hospitality it's very similar. I work in Hotels where we really try our best for the customers. I can have hours and hours of paperwork and stuff to sort out, but before that I will spend literally hours trying to help customers with their sometimes very minor problems. That's fine, it's what we do.
From that I generally find 99% of guests are really nice people, are not meaning to be difficult, and don't mean to waste your time. Most people are a little unaware of how much time they take up, but that's okay. It's just very pleasant to help them.

The interesting thing out of all that. Based on my work experience, I'm tempted to say out in the real world nearly everybody is a decent, well meaning, and helpful person.
But I actually suspect that half of everyone we meet is in reality dangerously mental. A large percentage of people are homicidal, thieving, dishonest, and I wouldn't trust my pet gerbil with them for one minute.
It's just weird. How guests seem, vs how I suspect people generally are 🤔
You have an extremely dark view of humanity, and I'm saying that as someone who has a pretty dim view.

For myself, I think my view changes based on recent experiences. Catch me at the end of a bad week, I'm likely praying for an asteroid to wipe us all out. But most weeks are pretty uneventful, in terms of run-ins with the worst among us.

Electronic communications seem to either reveal or enable some folks' worst tendencies. People are more surprised at belligerence in a public or face-to-face setting, and thus most people are going to be less likely to give in to their tempers in the real world. But in an email or private message, or even in public posts to social media, many people feel more emboldened to be wankers.

That said, since starting this business, I've been pleasantly surprised, numerous times, at how generous and kind so many people can be towards strangers. When a member here needed money so he and his wife could adopt the little girl they were fostering, folks came out of the woodwork to help. There have been several instances like that, over the years, wherein many people proved we're not just a bunch of savages.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
You have a extremely dark view of humanity, and I'm saying that as someone who has a pretty dim view.

For myself, I think my view changes based on recent experiences. Catch me at the end of a bad week, I'm likely praying for an asteroid to wipe us all out. But most weeks are pretty uneventful, in terms of run-ins with the worst among us.

Electronic communications seem to either reveal or enable some folks' worst tendencies. People are more surprised at belligerence in a public or face-to-face setting, and thus most people are going to be less likely to give in to their tempers in the real world. But in an email or private message, or even in public posts to social media, many people feel more emboldened to be wankers.

That said, since starting this business, I've been pleasantly surprised, numerous times, at how generous and kind so many people can be towards strangers. When a member here needed money so he and his wife could adopt the little girl they were fostering, folks came out of the woodwork to help. There have been several instances like that, over the years, wherein many people proved we're not just a bunch of savages.
That's the twist. How I find nearly all the guests decent, kind, delightful people when I'm at work.
To suspecting that a large percentage of people out there in the larger world aren't helpful, charitable (like your fostering story - how people should be), or even very sane.
Yes, my veiw of humanity has both darkened, and lightened at the same time. I know that it doesn't stack logically.

·
Registered
645 Posts

View attachment 15873310
That looks sweet. Really excited to see how this white dial version looks in the metal. How many will be available as part of the Watch Gecko exclusive?

Reactions: GP_Photography

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Hey, long shot, but did anyone pick up a Catalina bezel insert they ended up not using? Would buy or trade...

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,859 ·
That looks sweet. Really excited to see how this white dial version looks in the metal. How many will be available as part of the Watch Gecko exclusive?
We'll be assembling 25 of each, with the parts needed to make another 25 of each at some point in the future.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,860 ·
Hey, long shot, but did anyone pick up a Catalina bezel insert they ended up not using? Would buy or trade...
If it helps, we just got a bunch in with the Azores. We should have them up on the site before the end of the month.

Reactions: mconlonx
6841 - 6860 of 7535 Posts