WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
9,861 - 9,880 of 15,034 Posts
Is that good tone strap furniture? I'd have never thought to do that. It's genius, and looks the the bees nuts. Turns it into a different style watch. Very Cool 👍
I think you were asking about gold tone, yes it is. Came out even better than expected. Thank you, too kind!

Car servicing..... I came home to a service due message on my daughters Mini. It was clearly written in a code only dads could read as she knew "nothing about it". When I tried to phone to find out which service was required and how much it would cost, they couldn't tell me, not even when supplied with the reg number.
To find that out I have to take the keys to the dealer and they will get the information from them. Really? The keys? All the way there, then back again when I can finally get an service booked :rolleyes:

Car servicing..... I came home to a service due message on my daughters Mini. It was clearly written in a code only dads could read as she knew "nothing about it". When I tried to phone to find out which service was required and how much it would cost, they couldn't tell me, not even when supplied with the reg number.
To find that out I have to take the keys to the dealer and they will get the information from them. Really? The keys? All the way there, then back again when I can finally get an service booked :rolleyes:
OE's are doing all they can to get people back to the dealer for service. So much more margin in parts and service than selling vehicles

Reactions: docvail
I mentioned in another thread that earlier today I was in the process of paying for one of the new Carribbean watches from TimeFactors that I'd managed to snag in the 2 minute buying frenzy when Eddie opend up the online sales, when I had an epiphany.
It's not the lovely sunburst yellow dial and navy blue bezel I desire, it's a sunburst blue dialled DevilRay!
I deleted the shopping basket and let another happy soul have it, and I'll be off to watchgecko.com if anyone wants me.

Discussion starter · #9,872 ·
Anyone looking for a v.1 Champagne Antilles? There's one for sale in f29.

OE's are doing all they can to get people back to the dealer for service. So much more margin in parts and service than selling vehicles
My recent experiences with Auto Service Departments is that they have become as much a sales department as they are a service department. I recently took our 2002 Sequoia in to the dealer because the power steering went and my mechanic friend was away for the month. They tried to tell me that it would be a $6,000 repair because 'It's a bad power steering hose, but where it's connected has a bit of rust on it, so corporate says we have to replace that for $2,500, but the part it attaches to also has some rust, so that must be replaced for $3,500."

This for a truck with a book value of $5,000. I took the truck home, and parked it until my friend returned. He repaired it with a $3.50 return hose, and a half hour of labor. Total cost of the repair, $50. The rust was mere surface rust that easily brushed away with a steel bristle brush.

Discussion starter · #9,877 ·
My recent experiences with Auto Service Departments is that they have become as much a sales department as they are a service department. I recently took our 2002 Sequoia in to the dealer because the power steering went and my mechanic friend was away for the month. They tried to tell me that it would be a $6,000 repair because 'It's a bad power steering hose, but where it's connected has a bit of rust on it, so corporate says we have to replace that for $2,500, but the part it attaches to also has some rust, so that must be replaced for $3,500."

This for a truck with a book value of $5,000. I took the truck home, and parked it until my friend returned. He repaired it with a $3.50 return hose, and a half hour of labor. Total cost of the repair, $50. The rust was mere surface rust that easily brushed away with a steel bristle brush.
Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. This is why the general public despises dealerships. If it's genuinely rusted out to the point where it's unsafe then I can see component replacement being recommended. Some surface rust though? The service advisor should be ashamed to look at himself in a mirror.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. This is why the general public despises dealerships. If it's genuinely rusted out to the point where it's unsafe then I can see component replacement being recommended. Some surface rust though? The service advisor should be ashamed to look at himself in a mirror.

To be fair, he was embarrassed as I've worked with him in the past. He said this was new corporate policy, and once his technician typed it in, if he did it differently, it would be flagged. No reason not to believe him as he is been a straight shooter in the past.

To be fair, he was embarrassed as I've worked with him in the past. He said this was new corporate policy, and once his technician typed it in, if he did it differently, it would be flagged. No reason not to believe him as he is been a straight shooter in the past.
"I'm sorry Sir, but our new corporate policy is such that if there is a single speck of surface rust we must replace the entire mechanical workings of the vehicle and screw the customer as hard as humanly possible!"

Their 'corporate' policy smells like a lawsuit waiting to happen once customers figure out they're getting screwed. Like I said, telling someone they need to replace a rotted component for safety, by all means. Telling someone they need a repair in excess of a vehicle's value for light surface rust, that's deceptive business. Think of the folks who know nothing that actually agree to that repair. It's theft by deception in my mind.

9,861 - 9,880 of 15,034 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.