WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the all-new, most current, official NTH thread

1M views 15K replies 437 participants last post by  docvail 
#1 · (Edited)
Wassup, citizens of Watchuseek forums, particularly those who dwell within "F71", the affordable watches sub-forum?

If you don't already know me, I'm Chris, or "Doc", as many have taken to call me. I own a brand called NTH, and another before it, called Lew & Huey. I've been a member here nigh on 8 years, and it appears I'm closing in on 25k posts. I may have to do something to commemorate the milestone, but that's a topic for another post...

After a few years of being a sponsor, I took a few years off. During that time, I was basically free-loading - suckling at the forum owners' teats, you might say. Upon being politely reminded a few times that I was kind of being a cheapskate a-hole (my words), by milking the place for all it was worth, while not putting anything in the kitty, I figured it was time I either leave for good, or start helping to pay the rent.

So here we are. I'm once again a sponsor. Not much has changed really. New signature, and a bit more freedom to say and post what I like, without fear of being tossed out by my belt and collar. So that's nice.

Anyhoo...I own NTH. We make and sell watches. You can see all the in-stock models on our website. Some, we don't actually have in our own inventory, but you can get them from our retailers around the world.

You might (or might not) be familiar with the NTH Subs - at the time we launched in 2016, they were the thinnest (11.5mm) 300m WR diving watches in the world. From what I can tell, they're still among the thinnest dive watches around. NTH was also the first microbrand to lume our signed crowns.

More videos here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqsr7EV9niRJ_ciCKvvGW3Q/videos

We've also made a dual-crown model range called the Tropics (Antilles, and Azores), and the DevilRay. There are more DevilRays in production now, with a target delivery date in mid-summer 2020.

We're also working on a larger version of the 40mm NTH Subs, and updated versions of the Tropics. We hope to get the larger Subs into production this year, and if things go well, the new Tropics early next.

I'd post pics, because threads are useless without them, but my pics totally suck, usually. Instead, I'll wait for others to post theirs. NTH threads seem to be active enough, with plenty of pics.

If this thread is already monstrously long by the time you find it, don't worry, just feel free to jump in anywhere. Plenty of room by the campfire.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to field questions, absorb criticism, ignore suggestions, and engage in debate, as any of you may like.

Fire away.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats on the 'Official' Status!
I am glad that the filter has been lifted... until the quarter lasts... should be fun!

#6 ·
Self-aggrandizement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone has to aggrandize me.

No one else was stepping up.

#10 ·
Really? I called you righteous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, at least I won't go blind from self-aggrandizing.

#9 ·
So seeing as this is an official forum now... and that means Doc should be checking in more frequently.......

Who's ready for the semi custom sub option he was talking about in the video?! Maybe if we pester the hell out of him we can get it before next year? So everybody badger the crap out him and incite the WoTs!

Jokes aside doc. I was curious about that. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it would be limited to only the subs right off the bat whenever it goes live. But if it does well(my money is on it will), would you contemplate opening it up to the other, much smaller and more limited lineups?

#12 ·
So seeing as this is an official forum now... and that means Doc should be checking in more frequently.......

Who's ready for the semi custom sub option he was talking about in the video?! Maybe if we pester the hell out of him we can get it before next year? So everybody badger the crap out him and incite the WoTs!

Jokes aside doc. I was curious about that. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it would be limited to only the subs right off the bat whenever it goes live. But if it does well(my money is on it will), would you contemplate opening it up to the other, much smaller and more limited lineups?
The question, as I understand it, is - will we offer customizations of other models, besides the Subs?

Only if it makes sense.

Doing it for the Subs makes sense (I think, so far, we'll see). There have been more than 40 versions, and we've gotten many requests from people asking if we'd swap bezels or handsets.

It doesn't really make sense for most other models, where we have 3-6 versions, and a lot less variability.

For instance, we're making more of the DevilRay. So far, it's just three colorways, which all share the same bezel and handset. What's to customize? Nothing, really.

If and when we make more of the Tropics (Antilles and Azores), the only thing that would make sense to switch would be the bezel (12 hour versus 60 minute). If you understand how we'll be doing the custom Subs (which I'll explain below), it doesn't make sense to offer any sort of customization with the Tropics.

With the subs, we can order 50 per dial, 50 per handset, and 50 per bezel insert, without necessarily having to make all of them into watches. I doubt we'll start out by ordering 50 pieces of every dial, handset, and bezel insert we've ever produced, for every model.

But the next time we make those watches, we'll order extras of each component - for the versions of the watch we're making - plus maybe some dials/handsets/bezels for some other versions. Then the next production, we'll order a few more. The next production, a few more.

Just as a hypothetical - let's say the next time we order watches, we decide to make the Nacken Modern Blue, the Nacken Modern Black, the Barracuda Vintage Black, and some other model. We'll order extras of all those components, plus maybe dials/hands/bezel inserts for a handful of other models. The next production might be four other models, plus extras of those components for a few other models.

Over time, we'll build up a nice inventory of all those components, so we'll be able to offer a wide variety of customization options.

#20 ·
my pics totally suck
True. For example, 3 of the 4 pics in your signature are broken:

But at least we've escaped from that "nod to homie" silliness ...

Reactions: X2-Elijah
#22 ·
True. For example, 3 of the 4 pics in your signature are broken:

View attachment 14996475

But at least we've escaped from that "nod to homie" silliness ...
I don't know what to make of that. The only image in my signature is the one that can be seen in your post.

#32 ·
Just a reminder......   WRUW April Fools Day 2020   

The upgraded Spork that Seiko never made....

....that is thinner, has deeper WR, drilled lugs, smoother highbeat movement, double-domed sapphire crystal with AR, fully lumed bezel (and crown) and in a choice of colors Seiko never offered. It is generally available at lower prices than the pre-owned Sporks, when they pop up.

#33 ·
Wassup, citizens of Watchuseek forums, particularly those who dwell within "F71", the affordable watches sub-forum?

If you don't already know me, I'm Chris, or "Doc", as many have taken to call me. I own a brand called NTH, and another before it, called Lew & Huey. I've been a member here nigh on 8 years, and it appears I'm closing in on 25k posts. I may have to do something to commemorate the milestone, but that's a topic for another post...

After a few years of being a sponsor, I took a few years off, during which I was basically free-loading, suckling at the forum owners' teats, you might say. Upon being politely reminded a few times that I was kind of being a cheapskate a-hole (my words), by milking the place for all it was worth, while not putting anything in the kitty, I figured it was time I either leave for good, or start helping to pay the rent.

So here we are. I'm once again a sponsor. Not much has changed really. New signature, and a bit more freedom to say and post what I like, without fear of being tossed out by my belt and collar. So that's nice.

Anyhoo...I own NTH. We make and sell watches. You can see all the in-stock models on our website. Some, we don't actually have in our own inventory, but you can get them from our retailers around the world.

You might (or might not) be familiar with the NTH Subs - at the time we launched in 2016, they were the thinnest (11.5mm) 300m WR diving watches in the world. From what I can tell, they're still among the thinnest dive watches around. NTH was also the first microbrand to lume our signed crowns.

More videos here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqsr7EV9niRJ_ciCKvvGW3Q/videos

We've also made a dual-crown model range called the Tropics (Antilles, and Azores), and the DevilRay. There are more DevilRays in production now, with a target deliver date in mid-summer 2020. We're also working on a larger version of the 40mm NTH Subs, and updated versions of the Tropics. We hope to get the larger Subs into production this year, and if things go well, the new Tropics early next.

I'd post pics, because threads are useless without them, but my pics totally suck, usually. Instead, I'll wait for others to post theirs. NTH threads seem to be active enough, with plenty of pics.

If this thread is already monstrously long by the time you find it, don't worry, just feel free to jump in anywhere. Plenty of room by the campfire.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to field questions, absorb criticism, ignore suggestions, and engage in debate, as any of you may like.

Fire away.
Just catching up, reading this thread from the beginning and have to state that Doc's pics are good enough to sell watches, at least this pic of his below prompted me to do two things....#1 steal his pic, #2 buy a Bahia before they sold out the first batch.

I may be the holder, accumulator of the most "Doc Watches" at 20, of which 18 are NTH, plus 2 Orthos. Eventually I will round them all up in one place for a pic.

This watch ^^^ is pretty much an orange Bahia, excepting the minute and sweep hands.

#41 ·
Just catching up, reading this thread from the beginning and have to state that Doc's pics are good enough to sell watches, at least this pic of his below prompted me to do two things....#1 steal his pic, #2 buy a Bahia before they sold out the first batch.
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.