WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading a post or an email can be misleading at times. Especially when you are talking about something that has you upset. Taking that in to consideration, I don't want you to imagine me writing this with my venom pen, but merely in a conversational tone about my experience.

I have commented on earlier posts about my long and tedious experience with my purchase from Kobold. I am now over 5 months from when I made a purchase through Brian. (remember him?)

Since then I have spoken to Dale Poindexter, Jessica Kociscak and Michael Kobold by email. I've spoken to Dale Poindexter and Jessica Kociscak by phone. All made promises. All gave projected delivery dates. All failed to come through.

Yesterday was "supposed to be" my ship date. Again. No response to my email to Jessica this time, although I guess I didn't expect one since I was asking for a refund.

Like I said, I have commented on an earlier post about the status of Kobold and the exit of the old regime and that infamous "open letter". I was reached out to privately by other members here and they spoke highly of the product and the man. That is the reason i bought in the first place. That is the reason I waited 5 months. I am not disappointed in their notes holding Kobold in high regard, I'm disappointed that they hold Kobold in such high regard and he failed them. I know I'm not the only one that has had a problem recently or has spoken about it. A google search will reveal more and more negative reviews and complaints popping up. It's not new news. It's a trend that I'm afraid to say I didn't notice before making my purchase. I hope I have a good outcome. The best outcome will be at my house. Both parties will be happy. We'll see.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Im sorry to hear about another person getting this treatment. Ive learned where there is smoke there is fire and the smoke has been pouring out of the kobold building for years. I seriously would not pay 500 for one of their watches now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. I went through a ton of the same stuff so I know what you're talking about. I've pretty much moved on and divested my collection of Kobold watches except one and it's a piece from 2004. It will likely never go back to KWC for service since it's just an eta movement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good luck.. I hope you resolve your situation quickly.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I feel your pain, had the same experience after purchasing a Soarway Diver. The excuses never stopped!! Took 5 months to fix a simple dial problem and after getting the watch back the crown fell off. Would never purchase another watch from them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's been a year for me waiting for a watch. The next target date they set was early March so I'll post back when I hear from them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a year for me waiting for a watch. The next target date they set was early March so I'll post back when I hear from them.

Ironically, This is the response I got from Jessica yestersay after requesting a refund when they didn't deliver again last week. (she told me 3 weeks ago that they finally have all of the parts and they will deliver in two weeks).

"Hi Joe,

I’m sorry for the delays. It looks like we won’t be able to get our next batch of Langleys out until the end of March now.

We’ve encountered many production and supplier delays. I’m sorry for the inconveniences.

You are on our list to be updated once the Langleys are ready to ship.

Many thanks,

Jessica Kociscak
Kobold Watch Company"

They really just don't care what they tell people.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, Like I mentioned on a previous post, took them 7 months to fix an issue with the SMG-X, when I received it, the bezel was almost falling out. I contacted them over and over, no replies. I called them... Nothing. I tried visit them... It was closed. Finally I received an email from M. Kobold saying "sorry, send it back and we'll fix it on a timely manner". yes... Right.
I sold that SMG, I sold my Phantom (it due for service soon and I was dreading it...) and I sold my SEAL. Done. No more Kobold watches.
Love their designs (and the earlier watches were also tough) but I can't deal with the lack of service, comms, and mainly the BS they give their customers.
I truly hope they go away.

Ironically, This is the response I got from Jessica yestersay after requesting a refund when they didn't deliver again last week. (she told me 3 weeks ago that they finally have all of the parts and they will deliver in two weeks).

"Hi Joe,

I’m sorry for the delays. It looks like we won’t be able to get our next batch of Langleys out until the end of March now.

We’ve encountered many production and supplier delays. I’m sorry for the inconveniences.

You are on our list to be updated once the Langleys are ready to ship.

Many thanks,

Jessica Kociscak
Kobold Watch Company"

They really just don't care what they tell people.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Are things getting any better at Kobold?
how many watches they sell / year ? It appears they have orders as new items are out but how are sales.
Nice design watches. Too bad if they are not performing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Terrible to hear. I live in Pittsburgh and remember when that guy was on the cover of magazines and newspapers! It sucks, as the watches certainly had a distinctive personality, which is more than you can say for a lot of new watch companies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking at their Langley, I'm glad I stopped by and read this post..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, a follow up email last week to Jessica and Michael Kobold went answered with a phone call from Michael Kobold shortly after it was sent. He was, as he always seems to be, a gentleman. He is a businessman and he says what's on his mind. We had what I believe was a very polite conversation about his plans and his business model and why I made a purchase from his company. He listened and gave me every opportunity to speak. In his defense, I didn't ask for a phone call, he just did it. Twice as a matter of fact. He made a follow up call to me a couple days later and we have spoken a couple times by email. He shed some light on what some of his distractions were and I won't go in to them here but to say that they were important distractions may be an understatement. I haven't given him a pass by any stretch of the imagination but I have decided that I am glad I have been patient.

I think he can right the ship but it will be a slow process and only he can do it now. One customer at a time.

I'll post a follow up to this shortly I hope.

·
Registered
122 Posts
He shed some light on what some of his distractions were and I won't go in to them here but to say that they were important distractions may be an understatement.
Please, go in to them here.;-)

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Year after year Kobold always has an excuse for their outlandish delays, poor repair work, and lousy communication. I think most of us here wish them well but don't trust them with our dollars. Some people are mad that Dievas stole the Kobold case design, but they manufacture the cases themselves, have excellent customer service and delivered a custom watch in under 30 days. All this at a fraction of the price. Both my Kobolds are gone but I'd love to pick up a Phantom Chronograph but I don't trust the company.

View attachment 7258290
DSC00752-2 Small.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So... this came today. I have spoken to Michael Kobold by phone quite a few times in the past few weeks. He has been humble and apologetic. As I said before he has shared some things that make a difference to my ability to be patient. He gave me his word and he came through.

By no means do I think things are normal there and I haven't backed down from my position that he has a way to go to get the brand back to its high point. But I think he can and hopefully he does too.

20160305_134334.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Two weeks weeks ago I ordered one of their new Spirit of Amercia with a delivery date of end of next week. Hopefully I will follow up with a good review. I too have had some questionable service with them but always the optimist.

So... this came today. I have spoken to Michael Kobold by phone quite a few times in the past few weeks. He has been humble and apologetic. As I said before he has shared some things that make a difference to my ability to be patient. He gave me his word and he came through.

By no means do I think things are normal there and I haven't backed down from my position that he has a way to go to get the brand back to its high point. But I think he can and hopefully he does too.

View attachment 7324402

1 - 20 of 25 Posts