WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When I got back home today, UPS Santa left a package for me. It's the much anticipated Solar/Atomic G-Shock (model AWG101-1A). My very first G-shock and I am very impressed!

My first impressions:

- Comfort. It sits great on the wrist and is quite comfortable right out of the box. There's no need to "break it in". Sure, it's a plastic-type strap, but it's very comfortable. Grade - A-

- Legibility - Even for my somewhat failing eyes (hey, you'l understand when you get old!), I can read the hands well and even the subdials. I wish there was a little more contrast on the subdials but all in all, pretty good. Grade - B

- Accuracy. What can I say here? It's atomic. My experience setting it was a easy as pie. Bassically, hold down one button for a couple of seconds and sit it down in front of a window. The first time I tried it, the watch gave me an error reading. After a little reading, I realized that I had the watch too close to my cell phone. Actually, I used it to prop it up! Oops! Don't do this since it interferes with the signal. I'm in Wichita, which is about 500 miles from the tower in Colorado. It took 4 minutes to receive the signal and reset. After "synching up", I checked with the same atomic clock on the internet ( http://www.thetimenow.com/cst/central_standard_time) and viola', perfect. This will also automatically sync 6 times per day. We'll see how this goes. Grade - A+

Functions - In addition to the atomic sync, it has a myriad of functions - World time, CDT, stopwatch, alarm, 24hr, daylight savings mode, solar tough. I'm probably missing something, but it seems to have a lot of good functions. Grade - A

Lume - Ok. This is where it doesn't do that great. If your expecting the same lume as a Seiko, forget it. It's just ok. Grade - C

How it looks on the wrist - I'll let you be the judge but I have to say that it looks great to me. It plays a little smaller than you might think because the measurements are something like 49mm. It just doesn't look that big. I like how it rides pretty high on the wrist but it's not ridiculous (around 15mm). BTW, my wrist measures 7 1/4". Grade - A

Overall grade - A-

Well, that's it. Let me know what you think!

Here's a stock picture from the 'bay:

...And here's some pictures I took. Sorry, I'm not a photographer!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Nice watch, I'm considering purchasing this watch as well. However, I have a 6 1/4 inch wrist (thin bones). I've never owned a G-shock before, anyone think this would be too big for my wrist? TIA.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
You should be alright. I have 6.5" wrists and my GW-1500, which I think is very close to the same size, fits fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
this watch looks very cool, im still waiting for mine to arrive from US of A ;-)

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
You should be alright. I have 6.5" wrists and my GW-1500, which I think is very close to the same size, fits fine.
Brian thanks for replying. I'm still on the fence, and am considering a Seiko diver, which looks slightly smaller. Or maybe a Seiko Overland. I don't collect watches, but currently have 2 Rolexes (presents) and a Baume & Mercier Capeland. I'm looking for an everyday watch for work and weekends since I don't like to change watches. I don't like to wear my nice watches since I sit at my desk all day and end up scratching everything, so not looking for an expensive watch. There are so many choices! I'm beginning to understand everyone's facination with collecting watches. Thanks again for your reply and look forward to following this hobby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts