WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
especially since this is my first post here...i recently recieved a Rolex Submariner SS w/Date from my work for 5 years of service, and as blasphemous as this is going to sound, i'd rather have the money than the watch (specially since this watch is worth more than my car, and i could use the money), but that isn't an option, its watch or nothing...

i've prowled the internet trying to get an idea of what i can legitimately use as an asking price, but between craigslist, replicas, and seemingly shady e-tailers i have no clue where to begin. looking for watch forums, i stumbled upon this place where it seems the bulk of Rolex afficianados congregate...(man, thats a lot of big words), so i thought i'd ask and hope for some answers

so while i'm not trying to sell anything per se, i do need some guidance in this area...everyone i've talked to wants to give me pawn shop pricing (low 3k), but in my mind i'm thinking this is a 5k watch, heck the box has only been opened to take pix, surely i should be able to get something in the middle or even closer to the 5 mark... shouldn't i? am i being delusional?

i didn't think it would, but this is actually stessing me out... thanks for taking the time out to read this, and i hope someone can steer me in the right direction

·
Registered
891 Posts
especially since this is my first post here...i recently recieved a Rolex Submariner SS w/Date from my work for 5 years of service, and as blasphemous as this is going to sound, i'd rather have the money than the watch (specially since this watch is worth more than my car, and i could use the money), but that isn't an option, its watch or nothing...

i've prowled the internet trying to get an idea of what i can legitimately use as an asking price, but between craigslist, replicas, and seemingly shady e-tailers i have no clue where to begin. looking for watch forums, i stumbled upon this place where it seems the bulk of Rolex afficianados congregate...(man, thats a lot of big words), so i thought i'd ask and hope for some answers

so while i'm not trying to sell anything per se, i do need some guidance in this area...everyone i've talked to wants to give me pawn shop pricing (low 3k), but in my mind i'm thinking this is a 5k watch, heck the box has only been opened to take pix, surely i should be able to get something in the middle or even closer to the 5 mark... shouldn't i? am i being delusional?

i didn't think it would, but this is actually stessing me out... thanks for taking the time out to read this, and i hope someone can steer me in the right direction
Nice...mind recommending me to your work place?:-d

Firstly...Congrats on your Rolex! Something that new can fetch like USD$4k+,if you sell it directly to a buyer.5k is way too far off...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Post up pics of what is included with the watch. If it truely is brand new in box, with all the paperwork, you can sell a brand new Z or M serial for $4500-$4800.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

if need be i can try to get better pix...but these pix show the first time the box has even been opened

*edit* 1 more pic

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow, that's nice. I might finally succumb to the big "R" after all. Keep that beautiful watch man!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts

if need be i can try to get better pix...but these pix show the first time the box has even been opened

*edit* 1 more pic
She is beautiful, I can pick up a new sub/date for under 5k where I live (USA). Not much under, but under just the same. Low 4's if definitely doable IMO. Z series, that is pretty dang new, good luck!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Firstly, I am clearly in the wrong job!:rodekaart

Secondly, it is of course okay not to like Rolex/want to sell the watch/etc.

However, you will take a bit of a hit on the price. I think low $4k's is what you should aim for, as it is possible, with a little effort, for a knowledgeable buyer to get a 10% discount on Rolex sports models from an AD. Price your watch in the high $4k's, and you are at, or beyond, the discounted price from an AD...and most serious buyers will always go with an AD if the price difference is negligible, for obvious reasons.

Also, what are your colleagues going to say when you come to work sporting a watch other than the Rolex? Is there any expectation you should keep/wear it?

Still, overall, a nice problem to be faced with.;-)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Dude,

Can I apply for a job there? I'll be the doorman, or something. ;-) I cannot say whether or not you should keep or sell your Rolex. That's up to you. Please consider that they go up in value over time. So, a brand new in box Submariner with the papers, should make a wonderful sales item in several years. I'd put in the a safe deposit box at the bank and see what it'll fetch in 2 to 5 years.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Holy SHI*!
After 5 years at my place I got a catalog of crap not worth more than $50 to choose from. IMO for unused it's 4-4.8k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Also, what are your colleagues going to say when you come to work sporting a watch other than the Rolex? Is there any expectation you should keep/wear it?

Still, overall, a nice problem to be faced with.;-)
the whole thing is, everyone knows my distaste for jewelry of any kind... i can't wear watches or rings without starting to feel agitated... the main thing is, with this watch, it could pay my bills, help me straighten out some other things and possibly give me a decent vacation (i was/am toying with the idea of spending 3 weeks in china with what i would hope to get for the watch)... and i drive a ford focus, this watch is literally worth more than my car, and that kinda freaks me out..

and about the job...yeah i know, i really lucked out in finding a job that treats and takes care of its employees the way this one does...i know people who have been with their company's for 30+ years and when they retired they got a thank you card and a nice dinner

*edit* i'm not out of line wanting 4600 then?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
...*edit* i'm not out of line wanting 4600 then?
It's not a difficult piece to obtain NIB on the secondary market, and every AD in my town (Boston) has one on display. You can want $4600 but my bet is you won't get it, for the reason I outlined previously. List it for $4200 and you will probably see some action. Include shipping in the cost (insured USPS Priority CONUS at that price will probably be around $50, give or take a few), and that should seal the deal for someone. You can always start higher, and lower the price, but I really think that $4600 is pushing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the tips...it took me a few seconds with the CONUS, then i was like duh...most likely i would ship fedex or ups ground cause both of those options are more accessible to me (ups at work and family at fedex)...at this point anything over the pawn shop pricing i've been offered would be great...now to head to craigslist and see what kinda bites i get

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
now to head to craigslist and see what kinda bites i get
Why wouldn't you put it on the sales corner here? Or on TZ too? I would personally rather buy a $4000 watch from someone here than on Craigslist. I saw someone's mother for sale on Craigslist once. No joke.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Why wouldn't you put it on the sales corner here? Or on TZ too? I would personally rather buy a $4000 watch from someone here than on Craigslist. I saw someone's mother for sale on Craigslist once. No joke.

I agree. You have some decent pics of the watch, so list on the SC here. Maybe take a couple more shots for variety. Craigslist might work, but you have a targeted, captive, audience here, and on the Lagoon on Equation of Time, and on TimeZone, for example. Three solid venues that are likely to get your watch sold quicker than elsewhere.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I've sold three watches on here now, all in completely different price ranges, one sold in a week, another in two days, and a Seamaster that sold in just a couple of hours.

·
Registered
939 Posts
after reading your post, i just realised that i am in the wrong job, how do i get there ? ;-)

back to business, a Z serial you can go up to 4,300 max i think which is just about AD price. if you really want to unload it fast, you can try 4,000. better if you list it in a forum like WUS SC where the members appreciate good brands so you get your watch's worth otherwise you'll get all kinds of pitch from guys not familiar with the finer points of good watch brands ;-)

·
Registered
449 Posts
A Rolex for 5 years of service. For someone to get a "reward" like that and still have financial troubles after 5 years of working for a generous company like that sounds strange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
okay, you've convinced me...when i get home i'll open the box once more (hey whoever buys it, gets it in the nice silver wrapping paper i got it in), and take a few extra pix...any ideas what shots i should take?

A Rolex for 5 years of service. For someone to get a "reward" like that and still have financial troubles after 5 years of working for a generous company like that sounds strange.
okay, you live on the exact opposite of the state so you understand how much it costs to live in thenorthern or southern parts of california...imagine you make 11 bucks an hour and living in your own 1 bdrm apt...no roommates, no nothin, you pay for everything on your own... now, how much money do you have to live on?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I'd definitely use the watch forums to sell it.
Explain it is a service gift from work and you're not a "watch guy", this will help explain your low post count/new name. (Ppl get nervous dishing out big money to new sellers).
Be sure to point it's NIB, never worn or sized.
Take plenty of pics and include the box and kit like above.
Natural light will get the best pics.
I'd ask for 4400, you'll get offers all over the place but I'd not go much below 4200.
Set up a paypal account and eat the fee, up to you whether you ask for shipping charges but be sure to insure it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd definitely use the watch forums to sell it.
Explain it is a service gift from work and you're not a "watch guy", this will help explain your low post count/new name. (Ppl get nervous dishing out big money to new sellers).
Be sure to point it's NIB, never worn or sized.
Take plenty of pics and include the box and kit like above.
Natural light will get the best pics.
I'd ask for 4400, you'll get offers all over the place but I'd not go much below 4200.
Set up a paypal account and eat the fee, up to you whether you ask for shipping charges but be sure to insure it.
that was my biggest thing about not putting the watch up here... the only posts you'd see are in this thread asking how to sell it and how much i could possibly get for it, all of which raise red flags to a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts