WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have been looking at dive watches and may have it down to a few choices...

Omega Seamaster Pro 300m

Marathon SAR

Doxa Sharkhunter 600T

MKII LRRP

Interested in people's opinions.

I am looking for a black dial and will be wearing it on bracelet primarily. In the past I have owned a Seiko Marinemaster, and while it was fantastic, am not looking to pick up another.

thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quite a diffence in price points in the watches you have listed . My first choice would be the Omega . It is high quality ( not that your other choices aren't), versatile dive watch that also looks at home with a business suit. I would also suggest you seriously consider the Omega Planet Ocean - somewhat higher price point but a really great watch . You can also pick up some very nice preowned specimens at significant savings. All the watches you listed have rather different looks - which one appeals to you the most ?
Joe

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would say either the Omega or M-SAR. b-)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I vote for the Omega - extremely versatile. You can do everything with it - business suit or wetsuit, it does the job with both. But they are all awesome watches so you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
736 Posts
+1 for the SMP 300M.

While I have not owned a Doxa, I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE my SMP. It is great looking, very accurate and (IMO) the perfect size to use under a dress shirt or with short sleeves for a more casual look.

The Marathon SARs are great watches, but much more toolish than the Omega. The LRRP looks like it is going to be a very nice watch if you want something a bit less expensive than the SMP. Please share your decision and the reasons behind it.

Mike

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
1.) MKII LRRP
2.) Doxa SharkHunter 600T
3.) Omega SMP
4.) Marathon SAR

The Omega is the most versatile of the batch, no doubt there. And though I'm a bracelet man and the Omega and Doxa should be my top two, there's just something about the look of the MKII that sings to me.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I really think it depends on what you value the most,

the Omega, and the MKII use a variant of the ETA 2892, which in most experts opinions is a more refined movement than the 2824 used in the DOXA, and the Marathon. The Doxa really has that great styling (I own a 600tPro myself), and the MKII probably offers the best bang for the buck. The Marathon IMO comes in last on the list. I'd buy the Omega myself.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Of your choices, I like the Doxa the best, but I'd go with a 750 or 800.

I wold first ask myself do I want a tool watch, or do I want a dress/diver.

The
SMP fits the dress/diver bill; nothing wrong with that, it is a fine wwatch, one fo the best.

The mkii and the SAR are tool watches, but at 40mm, they are small for my tastes, albeit, the SAR on bracelet is an awesome combo.

The Doxa, though a bit blingy due to the shiny parts, is a dedicated diver and comes inthe arger size, which I like.

These are my views........

goodluck on making your choice!!!

Not a bad appleinthe bunch.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
All good choices. I think the can't-lose, conservative choice would be the SMP. Looks great, very versatile. The LRRP looks good, I just wouldn't buy it over the other three. The SAR is a great watch, bullet proof, and on the bracelet is a great daily wearer. That said, I would go Doxa. They're a bit different, but my new fav watch is a 750T GMT. Looks great, gets tons of compliments, and is super comfortable on the wrist. I do echo one of the prior posters on going for the 750T over the 600T personally. The 800Ti is titanium and has tritium tubes, otherwise is very similar to the 750T.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would say Doxa too. The SMP looks too common for me. The same could be said for the LRRP, but I love the bezel with the two sets of numbers. SAR is too mainstream. A case could be made for each one, but I would get the Doxa if I was at a yard sale and only had $5 to spend

·
Registered
801 Posts
I vote Doxa, although finding a 600T Sharkhunter might be tough - maybe a 750T?

After that, I would vote for the MKII.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
if its my money, my order would be
  1. Marathon SAR (its just so much watch for the money, and very distantly remind me of vintage SUB)
  2. Omega SMP 300m (black dial, right? only if you want a more dressy watch. one thing that keep me from buying another SMP of any kind is that the lack of micro adjustment holes on the clasp. so i will have to add or delete half links if i have to adjust the bracelet by any length)
  3. MKii LRRP (fantastic design and it seems like its going to be a fantastic watch. but its also cost just a little less than a used SMP 300m. unless you want GMT, the MKii can allow some nice custom design)
  4. Doxa Sharkhunter 600T (nicely done vintage design, but i don't want to pay that kind of money for the mostly the design. certain issue also keep me away from doxa)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would go with the Doxa for diving, Omega for more dressier occasions. b-)

I have taken my Omega Seamaster Pro "Bond" diving, but I do prefer my Doxa 600T for diving.

For the Doxa model, I agree with the choice of the 600T, it has the classic/vintage size and weight, and I find it is a better fit for me than the 750T. The shallower caseback of the 600T also makes it more comfortable on my boney wrist than the 1000T.

--Keith

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Had a 600T Pro (same size as the Sharkhunter) and the SMP and traded both but theDoxa was the more comfortable. The Omega may hold value better.

paul

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you're actually diving with it, I'd go Doxa (750 or 1000 will be easier to find).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts