WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of hate these 'help me choose' threads so if that is you, nothing to see here, keep right on walking!

Some background: I'm trying not to buy any watches at the moment, saving for a holiday instead. And after the holiday I'm intending to save for a Marinemaster 300. But as fellow watchenthusiasts, a lot of you know what it's like... So I'm considering sating the urges with a relatively affordable purchase. Luckily, there are two watches which not only are afordable, but which I really really want, and have wanted for a long time now:

Citizen BJ8050-59E (aka Stainless Steel EcoZILLA)

Citizen JW0051-55E (aka Stainless Steel Promaster SST (Australian market))

Two very different watches, the main similarities being that they are both big ecodrive powered chunks of steel by Citizen. This thread needs some pics...

EcoZILLA S/S (Pics courtesy of A MattR of Time)

Promaster SST S/S

I like everything about the SST. It just works for me. If I'm being really picky, the bezel action could be a little smoother but that is all. It'll set me back AU$545.

I've never handled an EcoZILLA but I love what I see in pics and, from everything I've read, I've no doubt it's a great watch. At AU$300, it seems like an absolute bargain for a serious dive watch.

Possibly I'd prefer the MM300 to the SST but I'm not sure. I know it's crazy but I like it that much. Build quality is out of this world on these. But I definitely DO want the MM300. And they won't be around forever. I'm pretty sure I prefer the MM300 to the ZILLA, but at $300 it's not a big chunk out of the price of the MM300.

On the other hand, AU$300 is a lot of tasty meals in Hong Kong, and the ZILLA will be around for a while.

What do you think I should do???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sorry brother, I don't know how much money AU is in American bucks, but IMO both of those watches are, well, uh, ugly. I say save the money for the trip. They sort of remind me of the Seiko monsters- I have two of them, they were cheap. I rarely wear them. Hell, okay, buy the busy one. It looks like fun.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
the best thing you can do for yourself is continue saving toward the MM if that's what your heart is set on. btw, i have a MM and consider it well worth the price.

i had the non-JDM version of the titanium promaster SST... briefly. i saw one posted on the F-S forum here and had entertained ideas about getting one for a while. but i already had a very nice Attesa (a JDM eco-drive chrono, duratect titanium, sapphire crystal, atomic time sync) and wasn't willing to pay full-price for another watch which was already rather redundant.

my co-worker had been very keen on getting one after i showed him a pic of it more than a year ago (he's a fledgling WIS but with a more limited budget) so i wound up sellling it him at cost. i loved the way the case and bracelet just fit so well together. it's a very masculine piece, big yet still very comfortable because of the ti. he says he gets a lot of compliments about it whenever he wears it.

i wound up getting a titanium paw1500 to replace the SST as i wanted to add a nice g-shock to round out my collection.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I hope there aren't too many members who dislike the 'help me choose' type threads. Getting opinions on watches i am interested in or comparing is one of the main things i value and appreciate on this site.

I much prefer the appearance of the EcoZILLA. Looks very solid with all that shiny S/S and a very nice clean looking dial and hands. I don't like overly busy dials so the choice would be easy for me. Plus there's the additional lume, love that lume shot. But it looks like the bracelet is integrated and if so that would kill it for me. I have resisted integrated bracelets to date, fearing that if i am not able to size it perfectly i am left with no other options. Plus half the fun for me is trying out and swapping straps on my watches.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ive debated the same issue when trying to purchase a watch I want. The immediate buy of a cheap watch I was somewhat interested in will tie me over until the big purchase happens next month.
I know your a big seiko fan; would the citizen ecozilla fall too similar to the other divers you have? I like the zilla much better than the other mentioned but would you be better served waiting until your trip, taking the cash with you, and possibly looking at what is available there?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
ProMaster SST in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with the Zilla, but everyone's wrist seems to be sprouting one these days.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Re: This, that, or nothing??

I never had an Eco-Zilla but I had 2 Auto-Zillas and they seem the same on the outside. That is one ginormous watch. If you like the size it should be a well made watch. I don't like the sst at all.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn you all and your sensible ways! I haven't bought a watch since November 2009! I need a fix!

But I will spend the money on food and booze in HK instead.

%*$**!$&&$*^

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would save the money for now.

You want the MM300, so by saving your money now you can get it with $300 or $545 less saving if you don't spend on any other watches in the meantime. From what you said, buying one of these watches is really going to be a stopgap measure, so I would give them a miss and go for broke with the MM300.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would save the money for now.

You want the MM300, so by saving your money now you can get it with $300 or $545 less saving if you don't spend on any other watches in the meantime. From what you said, buying one of these watches is really going to be a stopgap measure, so I would give them a miss and go for broke with the MM300.
This is, on first glance, seemingly sensible advice. But what if we extrapolate??? At some stage I want a Sea Dweller. Do I hold off on the MM300 and keep saving? (for quite a long time)

And regardless of the MM300, I still want a Promaster SST (and most likely a ZILLA). At what point is it ok to purchase them? Only once I've bought the most expensive watch I desire? That could get very ugly! :-d

·
Registered
371 Posts
My only comment is that I think I would have a problem seeing the hands on the SST. Considering that I wear glasses to read, the contrast between hands & busy dial is important to me. I do like ana/digi watches, but not at the expense of legibility.
cheers,
kev

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
there is nothing to extrapolate.

it's about asking yourself which watch you desire most and working towards that goal. it's also about understanding the market - availability and pricing (current and trending) to help guide you on decisions.

there will always be watches on a want list but when the budget is limited, you need to prioritize.

it doesn't matter if you spend your money on a different watch, vacation, or what have you...it's not going towards the piece you want the most, is it?

you decide!

ps. i like the MM and SD equally well for different reasons. but if i had to keep only one, i'd probably go with the MM. YMMV.

This is, on first glance, seemingly sensible advice. But what if we extrapolate??? At some stage I want a Sea Dweller. Do I hold off on the MM300 and keep saving? (for quite a long time)

And regardless of the MM300, I still want a Promaster SST (and most likely a ZILLA). At what point is it ok to purchase them? Only once I've bought the most expensive watch I desire? That could get very ugly! :-d

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the crazy thing. I desire the MM300 and SST equally. They both do it for me.

I wouldn't be buying the SST to settle for 'second best'. I'll end up with both eventually.

It's more about watches in general (but the SST and ZILLA in particular) competing with a honeymoon for limited funds. And possibly sating my watch buying habits with a 'lesser' (read: cheaper) purchase prior to the holiday, so I don't blow too much cash.

At the end of the day, I know you're all right. I just really want those watches!

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I'll be happy to help you spend your money.

SST - very unique and those hands really spin fast.

Your welcome ... :-d

- Mike (the enabler)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have an EcoZilla and really like it. The SST is far too complex for my taste.

However I would join those who advise you not to spend money on a 'stopgap' purchase. This is a sure path to dissatisfaction. :rodekaart

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Get the SST, I'm planning on picking up a Suunto ABC digital watch tomorrow or Monday - and if you do something equally financially irresponsible (even in Australia), I'll feel mildly better about my own
decision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts