WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a few months ago, as I felt there was a "hole" in my collection that only a rectangular watch could fill. I'm odd like that. :)
DSC_7686.JPG

This one's pretty basic (as is typical of Waltham's). From what I can tell, the 750 (Barrel) models were introduced between 1941 and 1943; hard to tell, because they started abbreviating the serial numbers (I guess eight numbers is hard to fit on a wristwatch!), and I'm not entirely sure what the logic behind some of the numbers was. The list the first serial as "L00001" and the last as "K-40000", but the NAWCC database shows the first L-7.5 as 27943001. There was a round 7.5''' at one point, so maybe the used the same model code? Very odd.
DSC_7688.JPG
This one is a 750B (introduced in 1942) made in . The material books show this model as having different plates, but I'm not sure what all the differences were. It also indicates the the first serial number(31090001) was printed on the watch as B90001. So what does that make K03505? I <think> it's 31103505 (which returns an appropriate model in the database).

DSC_7679.JPG
Design wise, this watch seems very...Swiss. The keyless works, the left-handed thread on the crown, and the size in "lignes" all suggest that there was minimally some copying. But the triangular stud, movable banking pins and dial screws are very Waltham. The keyless works are quite nice to work on too, as there is no shipper spring. Instead, the spring is built right into the shipper lever. Oddly, the click still has a separate spring (despite Waltham having moved to an integrated spring on the clicks of many of their pocket watches by this point).

DSC_7681.JPG

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
A WWII watch. Probably one of the revisions to the 750-B related to the difficulty of getting certain materials. These controls were really tight by 1943. This piece may have escaped the worst of them.

I look forward to more posts in the thread!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts