WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought this watch on a auction brand new for about 45$ .... bargain hey. What more can you want, swiss made automatic with a sw200 movement. Kept in my collection still new with tags, I accidentally dropped it from around 2 meters height face down. I was scared to look at it and asked my Wife to tell me if any damage :D Unfortunately some of the rings on the dial came off within the dial stopping the hands from moving. So I managed to take it apart and fix all in but when I got to the point to put the crown back, guess what. The crown stem does not want to stay in. Also I cannot adjust the time. Before taking it off it was fine, but only when I assembled it back it just doesnt want to stay in regardless all efforts and attempts with pushing the pin, without pushing the pin etc. Apart from that the watch winder is working just fin as well manual winding it with the stem is working fine also. But adjusting the time does not happen. Its probably my third sw200 movement that I am experiencing this issue . Any idea if its fixable and how can I do that ? Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you sure that its is indeed a Sellita SW-200 and not a cheap clone from far east asia? I once had the misfortune of buying one of those, and was basically hot garbage, its the same poorly made swiss clones that you find in Stuhrlings, low end invictas and Android/Aragons.

FWIW, My earnshaw skeleton was basically junk in 3 weeks time. Luckily Amazons generous return policy means I didn't lose anything in the back end.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Hey guys. I bought this watch on a auction brand new for about 45$ .... bargain hey. What more can you want, swiss made automatic with a sw200 movement. Kept in my collection still new with tags, I accidentally dropped it from around 2 meters height face down. I was scared to look at it and asked my Wife to tell me if any damage :D Unfortunately some of the rings on the dial came off within the dial stopping the hands from moving. So I managed to take it apart and fix all in but when I got to the point to put the crown back, guess what. The crown stem does not want to stay in. Also I cannot adjust the time. Before taking it off it was fine, but only when I assembled it back it just doesnt want to stay in regardless all efforts and attempts with pushing the pin, without pushing the pin etc. Apart from that the watch winder is working just fin as well manual winding it with the stem is working fine also. But adjusting the time does not happen. Its probably my third sw200 movement that I am experiencing this issue . Any idea if its fixable and how can I do that ? Many thanks
Taking out the stem, pushing the small pin too deep you've dislocated the keyless works, most likely the yoke, and that's why the stem doesnt stay in now.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
To the OP: either you are some sort of odd spammer, or you are asking real questions but know little about watches.

If the later, I recommend you spend some time learning about watches by reading threads on this forum before continuing to buy. Of the two threads you have created, the Triton's claim to Swissness seems dubious at best, and that thing you posted above is Chinese, not Swiss. I highly doubt any brand would liquidate a brand new actual Swiss Made watch for $45, that wouldn't even cover the cost of the movement, even if it is a Sellita SW-200, one could sell the movement used on Ebay for more than that.

·
Premium Member
38,906 Posts
Toss it and get something of a bit better quality, IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I mentioned before it was an auction from a reputable German Antique shop, the movement is SW200 at is clearly written with a small print visible under 10x lens only! Earnshaw indeed make some cheap lines but they do swiss lines and this one is one of them! It was pure luck that I managed to get it that cheap as the auction wasnt visible worldwide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to to you FBPB ( Whatever that user name is ) you dont have to read my post nor even answering violently. I am not a spammer and even though I am not a a fully competent repairer and I know a bit or more about watches. I have spent a lot of time learning considering I am in my 30s still I got a lot to learn. The triton Swissness does not seems dubious at all, and its not Chinese, its Swiss. There are standarts and even though its not a Breitling its Swiss by the Swiss Made standarts and regulations!

Just a follow up , we dont need to be experts to be on this forums and ask questions about watches, right ?!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Shouldn't be much to fix. Smoking deal on a sw200 based watch. Likely the sliding pinion lever is out of place.

Reactions: Michael Maddan

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
3,768 Posts
Can you get your $45 back?

Hopefully it was a CC purchase, otherwise you're screwed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What position was the crown in when you took it out, winding or setting?

Likely the only way to fix this is to take the dial off

Mike

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
3,768 Posts
I can't say I admire your taste in watches, but hey, for $45 you don't have much to lose.

Here's where you went wrong. See the little hole shaped like a Nissan symbol? It's a through hole but the wings don't go all the way through:

Organism Line art Drawing Circle Illustration

(Yeah, I now the picture is from an ETA, but they are identical in this regard)

The idea is to press the slot with a screwdriver such that it presses the pin but only until the screwdriver bottoms out on the slot. I believe a 0.8mm screwdriver is appropriate but that's from memory so I may be wrong; just chose one that fits the slot.

The thing you are pushing on is part 6, the setting lever. It's held in place by part 8, the setting lever jumper, which springs away to allow the setting lever to move:

Automotive window part

The red arrow points to the other side of the Nissan hole.

If you push too far, the setting lever jumps completely out of the hole and won't go back in until you take the keyless apart and put it back together correctly. To do that, you need to de-case the movement, remove the hands and face, and then some of the date wheel stuff.

Download a copy of the tech sheet from sellita.ch to get the complete details on movement assembly. Try to keep everything clean and leave any oil in place. Use finger cots and never touch any parts with bare fingers.

Good luck.

Oh, you can take a picture of the Sellita logo (under the balance wheel) and prove us all wrong.

Just in case we are right, a popular flavor of 2824 Chinese knockoff is identical to the 2824 (SW200) in most regards, including how the keyless works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, that is more then helpful really. Thank you for the detailed information ExpiredWatchDog :) and everybody else as well , I never taken any movement apart yet but I always wanted to, so I think its a good time now and even if I dont succeed at least I tried. And this is how we learn, isnt it?From our mistakes :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And just to add, if I company is claiming that the movement is SW200 and if it appears that its not, or that it is a clone that in reality this is a scam as it is not what they are advertising it for? In that case everyone could ask for their money back as its a complete lie? Am I not right on this?
I can take picture of the movement where it says clearly under 10x lens SW200

1 - 20 of 25 Posts