WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(and the Swatch gals too).

Yesterday afternoon I ran up to the Home Depot to grab a pack of molly bolts and I became aware of 20 something guy looking for some wood screws and on his arm was what looked like a Sistem51 (black). So rather than take a surreptitious photo of the guy and his wrist I simply asked "Is that a Sistem51?" Now this guy was no WIS, really not even particularly conversant with watches, but man o man was he ever ENTHUSIASTIC about that watch. After he sais yes, and I said that I hadn't seen one in person before, he proceeded to give me quite a sales pitch about the watch - seems it had some sort of new and really cool mechanical winding system and "never needs a new battery!" He gave an (slightly off kilter) history of Swatch and their innovation in watch making, told me all about the Swatch store in North Park Mall ("These are their top of the line") and so on.

Now here is the best part - another young 20 something guy close by eventually came over, asked to look at the watch and was really paying attention to this guy. We all went our own ways but I know that second guy was intrigued, and I also know that every friend of that first guy has gotten/will get a similar sales pitch.

I thought the 20 something males they were aiming at would be totally unimpressed with that watch. Guess that new fangled system of gears and springs appeals to the tech obsessed post-teenage brain. I wonder if there is an untapped market for phones that plug into walls?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Funny story. Sounds like he is a WIS in the making. I really like my Sistem 51.

Reactions: NiceGuyTom

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,498 Posts
I had said prior to the Sistem51's launch that maybe they'll find that green-minded people would like how they never need batteries.

And besides, we're carrying around so much other electronic junk that has to get plugged in to a charger twice a day, it'd be nice to have a daily-use device that doesn't need that tether.

What I think would be funny is, if the non-luxury wristwatch market will split into inexpensive mechanicals and smartwatches.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
(and the Swatch gals too).

Yesterday afternoon I ran up to the Home Depot to grab a pack of molly bolts and I became aware of 20 something guy looking for some wood screws and on his arm was what looked like a Sistem51 (black). So rather than take a surreptitious photo of the guy and his wrist I simply asked "Is that a Sistem51?" Now this guy was no WIS, really not even particularly conversant with watches, but man o man was he ever ENTHUSIASTIC about that watch. After he sais yes, and I said that I hadn't seen one in person before, he proceeded to give me quite a sales pitch about the watch - seems it had some sort of new and really cool mechanical winding system and "never needs a new battery!" He gave an (slightly off kilter) history of Swatch and their innovation in watch making, told me all about the Swatch store in North Park Mall ("These are their top of the line") and so on.

Now here is the best part - another young 20 something guy close by eventually came over, asked to look at the watch and was really paying attention to this guy. We all went our own ways but I know that second guy was intrigued, and I also know that every friend of that first guy has gotten/will get a similar sales pitch.

I thought the 20 something males they were aiming at would be totally unimpressed with that watch. Guess that new fangled system of gears and springs appeals to the tech obsessed post-teenage brain. I wonder if there is an untapped market for phones that plug into walls?
Review: A trip inside the Swatch Sistem51 / ETA C10111 | Watch Guy

Great review on the entirety of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had said prior to the Sistem51's launch that maybe they'll find that green-minded people would like how they never need batteries.
It's funny that watches that don't need batteries now look like some space age revolutionary invention to young people :)

I've always thought that manufacturers aren't exploiting the environment advantages of mechanical watches. No toxic batteries, renewable energy source, and in many cases they have a very long useful life being repairable rather than disposable junk.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I know I'm dating myself, but I think the younger generations don't seem to have the aversion to "plastic," that some of us codgers have. They've come of age in a world that is pretty much built on it, and it doesn't seem to have the stigma that my generation attributes to it. Just an idea.

Reactions: Robotaz and Donf

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I have always seen Seiko as good about having low price point watches as well as aspirational lines. Get them early and keep them hooked, Swatch Group has pushed even farther from Flik Flak for kids all the way up to Haute Horology though the connection is less apparent than Seiko given the different names.

Not sure the "green" aspect really plays since watches are redundant for anyone with a phone so no matter how green the production and use of the watch is it is essential all waste for someone who carries a phone. A vintage mechanical probably has the least impact on the environment since it only carries the footprint of the maintenance requirements. In the end many people care more about the green "label" compared to the actually greenness of a product.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ooooh :3 Fancy new technology where it doesn't need a battery. How intriguing.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
You mean like how sashimi and offal and moss were once food eaten by the poor and spit on by the rich and now people will pay 3-4 figures to get a thimble-full of the stuff? There was a time when Napoleon would treat his most distinguished guests not with fine china or gold or silver plates. No, they were too cheap. He would treat his best guests with aluminium plates. Because there was a time pure aluminium was more expensive than gold.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
Hey, I am in favor of whatever sales pitch gets a young guy into a mechanical watch. Gets them into watches and keeps the tradition alive.
Exactly, if we don't want mechanical watches to become a niche product where all but the high-end disappears, it's important to get the younger generation interested in wearing watches again, and in particular mechanical watches. The Swatch Sistem51 is a perfect instrument for that.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,336 Posts
That is great to hear! I do not care for the Sistem51 watches personally, but if they create an interest in watches and mechanical watches, that is fantastic!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts