WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
It is really cool that they can make these automatics totally by machine in a first world country at that price. if you don't get people wearing watches in their twenties they are not going to be buying expensive watches when they get into their 40s and 50s. Something most of the other Swiss companies seem to totally miss.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had said prior to the Sistem51's launch that maybe they'll find that green-minded people would like how they never need batteries.

And besides, we're carrying around so much other electronic junk that has to get plugged in to a charger twice a day, it'd be nice to have a daily-use device that doesn't need that tether.

What I think would be funny is, if the non-luxury wristwatch market will split into inexpensive mechanicals and smartwatches.
That's a great idea. Swatch will have their most successful marketing campaign for the sistem51 based on this theme.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Here's mine, so light for a mechanical watch:

·
Premium Member
38,841 Posts
That is the only way we will keep the interest for future generations if we take the time to promote why a "REAL" watch is better than something with circuits.....

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
(and the Swatch gals too).

Yesterday afternoon I ran up to the Home Depot to grab a pack of molly bolts and I became aware of 20 something guy looking for some wood screws and on his arm was what looked like a Sistem51 (black). So rather than take a surreptitious photo of the guy and his wrist I simply asked "Is that a Sistem51?" Now this guy was no WIS, really not even particularly conversant with watches, but man o man was he ever ENTHUSIASTIC about that watch. After he sais yes, and I said that I hadn't seen one in person before, he proceeded to give me quite a sales pitch about the watch - seems it had some sort of new and really cool mechanical winding system and "never needs a new battery!" He gave an (slightly off kilter) history of Swatch and their innovation in watch making, told me all about the Swatch store in North Park Mall ("These are their top of the line") and so on.

Now here is the best part - another young 20 something guy close by eventually came over, asked to look at the watch and was really paying attention to this guy. We all went our own ways but I know that second guy was intrigued, and I also know that every friend of that first guy has gotten/will get a similar sales pitch.

I thought the 20 something males they were aiming at would be totally unimpressed with that watch. Guess that new fangled system of gears and springs appeals to the tech obsessed post-teenage brain. I wonder if there is an untapped market for phones that plug into walls?
Until you tell him that Seiko has been doing affordable watches that never need battery change as well for like 50 years and that they are still making them :D

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,I saw and even tried the system51 when I was in Milan last year,not that impressed with the platicky feel

However if it is a gateway for the youngsters to appreciate mechanical watches,why not?

I'm 20 something too (will be 30 later this year) but I have never had a Swatch because I simply don't like how they look,I prefer something rugged like a Gshock

As for the appeal of mechanical Seiko,most people in my country still think Seiko is a cheap mall watch,where you need to change the battery every few years or so,they are not that well known for their mechanicals even though lots of people actually uses Seiko5 (I know most of the priests in my church have Seiko5s on their wrist)

Was wearing my SBDX011 when someone I knew ask me about it,he was confused so I asked him why...he asked me back "Seiko do make automatic watch like Rolex? 1000m WR? I bet you can get it in the dept store for $300-500? I guess I win the bet when he found out the retail price in my country is close to $4000

·
Registered
514 Posts
Was wearing my SBDX011 when someone I knew ask me about it,he was confused so I asked him why...he asked me back "Seiko do make automatic watch like Rolex? 1000m WR? I bet you can get it in the dept store for $300-500? I guess I win the bet when he found out the retail price in my country is close to $4000

Not to mention the fact that almost every serious dive instructor I've ever met wears some sort of Seiko diver...

·
Registered
296 Posts
every single non watch guy i know considers the sistem51 an aspirational purchase. mechanicals will surely make a comeback and this is the closest the swiss industry has come to making it accessible. seiko 5 should however still enjoy its time as the master of the gateway mechanical.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,498 Posts
Until you tell him that Seiko has been doing affordable watches that never need battery change as well for like 50 years and that they are still making them :D
Somebody has to tell him, because Seiko certainly doesn't spend much effort promoting their entry-priced automatics around here. I can find them if I look closely inside the cheap mall watch shops, but that's about it.

PS -- maybe I'll remember to take a pic of the first Seiko 5 poster I see. I wonder when that will happen, too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Of course swatch are smart, they saved the industry in the 80s. I am not saying they are have a high standard or morale when doing business (limiting spare parts to independant dealers), but lucrative business deals is a part of the swiss nature (see defenition of "swiss made").

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Of course swatch are smart, they saved the industry in the 80s. I am not saying they are have a high standard or morale when doing business (limiting spare parts to independant dealers), but lucrative business deals is a part of the swiss nature (see defenition of "swiss made").
Lucrative deals is part of world nature, not just Swatch or the Swiss. The Asian's just have a different way of going about things. That's all.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I wonder if he still would be as excited if he could get a look at his plastic escape wheel and plastic pallet fork in a side by side comparison with the cheapest Chinese mechanical movement available… ;-)

In any case, it's nice to see anyone enthusiastic about their watch…

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
I wonder if he still would be as excited if he could get a look at his plastic escape wheel and plastic pallet fork in a side by side comparison with the cheapest Chinese mechanical movement available… ;-)

In any case, it's nice to see anyone enthusiastic about their watch…
Plastic is a much better choice for those components, given that the movement is hermetically sealed and not serviceable.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Plastic = "cost-effective" choice. Who you trying to convince that plastic is the best material for that application?
Sometimes...it's about the "profit margin" yes?
I've actually heard somewhere (maybe here on WUS) that some plastics may be better since they're self-lubricating. So if you can't service the movement, they might last longer than metal parts. Though the metal parts could last longer with servicing than plastic parts would.

No idea if that's correct, but it's an interesting theory. There have been plastic parts in some Omega watches in the past presumably for a similar reason (reducing need to service them).

Reactions: ilitig8

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
Plastic = "cost-effective" choice. Who you trying to convince that plastic is the best material for that application?
Sometimes...it's about the "profit margin" yes?
The plastic used is self-lubricating, so in this case, it is the best material for the application. Sometimes it's about not letting your assumptions/prejudices get in the way of the best solution for a given application.

Have a look at this article for why plastic is sometimes preferable to metal in certain applications:

http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid/320483/6-Reasons-Why-Plastic-Bearings-Perform-Better-than-Metal

If it's just a question of cost savings, shouldn't everything be made of plastic?

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
The plastic used is self-lubricating, so in this case, it is the best material for the application. Sometimes it's about not letting your assumptions/prejudices get in the way of the best solution for a given application.

http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid/320483/6-Reasons-Why-Plastic-Bearings-Perform-Better-than-Metal
The Purists mention this about the 7S26 in their review of the SKX Black Monster.

While there is often much disdain amongst watch enthusiasts for plastic components in mechanical wristwatches, I propose that there are instances where it is acceptable and possibly even preferable. One particular area in which plastic is a perfectly logical solution is the calendar mechanism. These are parts that rotate at very slow speeds (or sometimes intermittently) and with very little torque for the majority of their rotation. This combination of features makes them controversial with regards to lubrication. While lubricating them significantly will increase the drag on the movement and possibly ultimately stop the watch, leaving them sparsely lubricated or dry will ultimately result in wear. Plastic is an ideal solution for these components because it is light and self-lubricating. I won't pretend that Seiko's primary concern here is not one of economics, but it is combined with intelligent engineering as well.

http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

21 - 40 of 41 Posts