WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been restoring a 1965 Omega and the original dial was quite rough so and while not a fan of dial refinishing I thought that I would try a refinish from International dial. This dial was originally silver sunburst but I thought that a blue would be nice and something different from my other watches. I was told by International that they polish the batons as part of the process.

I was shocked upon delivery after a very long wait to find that instead of polishing the batons they painted the entire dial, then sanded the batons flat (without my approval), then applied the OMEGA - AUTOMATIC crooked as well as the seconds markers, with the text somewhat distorted, and bent the OMEGA logo. Various wrinkles and flaws in the paint didn't help with the printing.

My communications with them really went no where and didn't really seem to care, I told them that I would have preferred the batons as they were and not sanded flat as I was told they would be polished. I have seen refinished dials with this same year watch look completely different so very disappointed with the result.

Just beware if you are considering a refinish.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Gas

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I know that in the watch community we always say "keep it original!" but having seen so many refinishes go south over the years, I truly think if you want to modernize an old watch the best solution is replacing parts/components rather than refinishing them.

Glad you bought a replacement dial in the end.

Reactions: Iceseven1965

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
That's rough. I can safely say that finding a reliable, consistent dial refinisher, is next to impossible. In a few watchmaker groups I'm a part of, this is a constant topic of conversation, and over the years it's clear that no dial refinisher does the job well all the time, and they all produce highly variable work. I've had some fairly good results, very mediocre results, and one very bad result where they completely destroyed the dial (they made a replacement for me, but it was total garbage).

If a customer is asking for a dial refinish, I'll do it, but not after trying my best to talk them out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's rough. I can safely say that finding a reliable, consistent dial refinisher, is next to impossible. In a few watchmaker groups I'm a part of, this is a constant topic of conversation, and over the years it's clear that no dial refinisher does the job well all the time, and they all produce highly variable work. I've had some fairly good results, very mediocre results, and one very bad result where they completely destroyed the dial (they made a replacement for me, but it was total garbage).

If a customer is asking for a dial refinish, I'll do it, but not after trying my best to talk them out of it.
This was my first attempt at the process and I normally wouldn't consider a refinish, but I acquired this watch quite cheaply but the dial was really toasted with very little paint left and around 50% metal showing, but the batons were decent, sanding those flat was the worst part, I thought that any work would be better (especially from the company's website pics). But good lesson learned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear this sad news. Lesson learned I guess. IDK, want a different color dial, perhaps a new watch?
I originally asked for sunburst, glad that I didn't have to see that attempt:). This was something of a basket case watch that I am trying to bring back to life, also a birthyear watch at 1965. But I am determined to give it new life. Service is done and new old stock dial and crystal on the way, so I won't let the bad Krylon dial keep me down.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have been restoring a 1965 Omega and the original dial was quite rough so and while not a fan of dial refinishing I thought that I would try a refinish from International dial. This dial was originally silver sunburst but I thought that a blue would be nice and something different from my other watches. I was told by International that they polish the batons as part of the process.

I was shocked upon delivery after a very long wait to find that instead of polishing the batons they painted the entire dial, then sanded the batons flat (without my approval), then applied the OMEGA - AUTOMATIC crooked as well as the seconds markers, with the text somewhat distorted, and bent the OMEGA logo. Various wrinkles and flaws in the paint didn't help with the printing.

My communications with them really went no where and didn't really seem to care, I told them that I would have preferred the batons as they were and not sanded flat as I was told they would be polished. I have seen refinished dials with this same year watch look completely different so very disappointed with the result.

Just beware if you are considering a refinish.

View attachment 16257112

think that one is bad, I had a redial done years ago that makes yours look believable

Watch Brown Analog watch White Light

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was the original dial, pretty rough with missing paint, exposed dial and scratches. So not the best to start with but I expected more from the final refinish or at least a call saying that this is not going to work.
Watch Clock Measuring instrument Wood Gas

Sharpie? looks more like Crayola! had his 4 year old on the payrollll
Your lucky, you still have your batons! I lost half the height of mine to a dremel:)

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
This was the original dial, pretty rough with missing paint, exposed dial and scratches. So not the best to start with but I expected more from the final refinish or at least a call saying that this is not going to work. View attachment 16258287

Your lucky, you still have your batons! I lost half the height of mine to a dremel:)
The way the refinisher attacked those batons may qualify as a hate crime.

Reactions: Iceseven1965

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
This was the original dial, pretty rough with missing paint, exposed dial and scratches. So not the best to start with but I expected more from the final refinish or at least a call saying that this is not going to work. View attachment 16258287

my dial was a similar sunburst and the lettering was similar to yours, only mine had Seamaster
it was water damaged, but nothing like the damage done by the redial

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well sh*t, I could've done that. I would've even sprung for Rustoleum.
I should send you my dial for a custom paint. Just print Omega with an extra O for dial presence, please not crooked like the current though, and go ahead and sand down the batons the rest of the way, that will also help with spraying the paint in one pass, that is what the previous refinisher was thinking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts