1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Traser, Aquadive, & Dive Watch Forum Moderator
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the G1200B-1A as well as the GW3000BB-1AJF. Of course, the one you are interested in is the blue version which I might be getting next.

The G1200 series is the non-atomic counterpart of the GW3000. If you live in a country that cannot receive the atomic syncing signal then the G1200 will most probably be the only version you can find through local retailers. However, I noticed you live in Texas and you should be able to get the GW3000 versions instead. I would strongly suggest getting the atomic GW3000 series. You not only get the benefit of atomic syncing but also the Tough Movement which isn’t found in the non-atomic version. You might want the GW3000BD-1A instead?

Some of my thoughts:

Functions
It functions like any other standard digital G-Shock except that it communicates everything in an analogue format. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you've sussed out how it shows what, it is quite straightforward. Only caveat is that if stopwatch functionality is important to you, get the GW3500 analogue-digital series instead because it is hard to read 1/100th of a second off an analogue dial.

This watch does UTC and displays two time zones simultaneously. The second time-zone is shown on the sub-dial at 3 o'clock. It is a little small though for displaying 24 hours and not at all easy to read. Nevertheless, I find it useful for tracking my daughter who is almost halfway around the world from me.

What I really like about the UTC feature is that the two time zones being displayed can be swapped with a few button presses making it great for travel and keeping track of time at origin and destination. It can be quite fun (the first few times anyway) to watch the hands reorient itself. What I don’t like about the function is that I can only cycle through the time zones clockwise when setting it, so I might have to go all round to get to a time zone that's say, 2 hours behind. Be as it may, it is great for hopping through time zones…

Lume
This watch does not come with a backlight. Its hands and markers are instead lumed. Having compared the Lume on both my G1200 and GW3000BB, I find that the lume on the G1200 is quite lousy in comparison to the GW3000BB. I suspect this is because they can put a higher concentration of the lume on a white dial. Lume on the GW3000BB-1A is actually very good.

The analogue-digital G1250/GW3500 series on the other hand also has a LED backlight in addition to lume.

Alarms
This is not so important to me but unlike many other digital G's, the G1200/GW3000 only has one alarm and no snooze. The beeper is weak and I wouldn't rely on it to wake me in the morning. Anyway, I never use the alarm function on a G-Shock… smartphones do a far better job for alarms.

Bracelet versus Resin Strap
The one thing that kept me from getting the blue aviator was that it came on a bracelet. I know there are guys that have changed the resin straps for the bracelet on the orange version but I would do it the other way round.

I think it is just a matter of personal taste but I simply don’t like the bracelet. My main reason is that an ideal travel watch (the G1200/GW3000 series is very nearly it) needs to be almost all plastic. It has to go stealth under metal detectors. The bracelet would set it off. Of course some airports still insist you take the watch off regardless. The other thing, I just feel that a metal bracelet on a resin case is the wrong way round for a watch.

If I get the blue I will definitely swap the bracelet for a resin strap or I might never wear it.

Final Thoughts
In case you haven't seen it in the flesh, the blue is really a powdery light blue. In photos it usually shows up a darker tone. If you are particular about the colour of the dial and you haven't actually seen it in the flesh, you may want to know this.

Regardless of its shortcomings, I think this is the nicest analogue watch of the G-Shock range. If you like analogue displays, you'll be happy with the G1200/GW3000.

Sorry this got lengthy… but I hope it helps you clarify your purchase decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm the owner of 1200BD-1A

I live in Malaysia therefore I don't need the atomic signal.

It's an unfortunate that the 5132 module doesn't come with tough movement capability.

but the home positioning function does a fine job "replacing" tough movement albeit it needs to be done manually.

Like any other analogue G-Shock, configuration and setting can be pain in the ass for the first few times but you'll get along with it eventually.

As for the lume, it doesn't gleaming like Seikos but as a dude who's sucker for lume, this one doesn't dissappoint.

As for the looks, if you think it looks good in the picture, wait till it get to your wrist.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
It's a very nice looking G, but the lack of a countdown timer and only 24minutes stopwatch put it in the "no-go-zone" for me.

cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts