WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still on the hunt for "the" divers watch that I will be happy with. I wish I wasn't so fussy. Lol.

My budget is around £200 and I want something chunky.

I have had:
  • Seiko 007
  • kinetic baby Tuna
  • Seiko white Samurai
  • Cressi 500m
  • Citizen Aqualand Promaster Eco Drive
  • Citizen lefty diver
  • Seiko orange Monster.
The Seiko Spork and Sumo don't really appeal to me plus they're a little too expensive.

I have my eyes on one of these, not 100% on what colour yet but they appeal to me because they look substantial, the colours and bezel really pop plus the newer ones have the hand wind & hacking 4R36 movement...............

I do love the look of the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage but cannot justify the nearly £500 price. I know it's very different to the Seikos above but as mentioned I do like the look of them and the Steinhart. And yes I know with it being only 100m water resistance it's not really a divers watch, that's why I put it in the affordables. ;-)

I know looks are a very personal thing but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Casio MDV-106. Often recommended and for good reason. For around $50 you can get a nice diver on a really comfortable bracelet. Takes 22 mm straps if you don't want it on the bracelet, quartz, and I recommend the one with the blue bezel just for a change of pace. 44 mm. You can also get the one with the blue bezel, and get the one with the white face, swap the movements (super simple to do), and get make a Poor Man's Planet Ocean (white face, blue bezel) and have a black face/black bezel one, all for about $125. The only drawback is that the lume isn't up to par with what you're used to with the Seiko's, especially that of the monster. Here's one off one of the MDV106 mod threads that looks nice next to a Breitling.

If you're having trouble finding a white faced one, send me a PM.

24l77vb.jpg

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Also have a look at the new gen of stargates, as they also have the 4r36. The two I had were super accurate, have a decent bracelet, and solid end links.

Here's my orange on bracelet
9DF960D5-CFD6-4382-B5A0-45E71B7A1869_zpsjhqg0lu9.jpg
And my favorite of the second gen
55AFC1AD-4222-468C-BA73-AEE76469DE30_zpspplk7msi.jpg
Ugh now I'm missing them...

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
What about the Borealis Seafarer?

My conversions are a bit rusty, but it is around $330 USD. That's should be pretty close to £200. Its definitely chunky. Only caveat is it has a 51mm length.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How about a Wenger Aquagraph Deep? Great lume and 1000m water resistant and I have seen them at about US$250 so well within your budget, ony problem is it's not automatic.

Reactions: goody2141

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
There are a lot of good suggestions, but I think some folks are approaching it from a function rather than form argument. If the Mini Monster is a viable choice (and I see no reason why it shouldn't be based on style) then a hardcore dive watch is probably more of a nice-to-have. The Mini-monster lacks a screw-down crown.

That honestly opens up some options (and many of the watches in here being suggested are good suggestions.) You might go with something that's only "diver-like" if water resistance isn't primary. The Seiko Sea Urchin may be one choice. I might even look at Bulova, especially the Catamount divers if you really want that wrist presence. Although quite water resistant, I'd look at Deep Blue, but really any watch with a timing bezel that's sufficiently chunky might fit the bill. You might even go to where field/military and dive watches intersect.

The only one I'd think twice about recommending is the Wenger. I like Wenger watches in general, but in case you haven't tried that one on, it's VERY heavy. Since you don't need to dive in it, the WR features and diver's extension (plus the weight) might be negatives rather than beneficial.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only one I'd think twice about recommending is the Wenger. I like Wenger watches in general, but in case you haven't tried that one on, it's VERY heavy. Since you don't need to dive in it, the WR features and diver's extension (plus the weight) might be negatives rather than beneficial.
One of the reasons that I recommended it was purely on that basis. The OP had requested "My budget is around £200 and I want something chunky." and the Wenger definitely has a presence on the wrist.

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
Martin, Ive got the Ice Monster and TBH it's the dogs bits. If you're not sure have a look at the Orient M Force watches.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Am I missing something, why has no one mentioned the BFK?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm rethinking based off of "chunky". Citizen Ecozilla or Orca (not made any more) should fit in your budget and particularly the Ecozilla certainly is chunky. Here's some pics that aren't mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts