WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today Apple announced the Apple Watch Series 2 among other new or updated products. A few new features that Apple added to their watch may now have tremendous impact on the watch industry: 50 Meter Water resistance and an Internal GPS that does not need a phone while you run.

They also prefaced the Apple Watch segment with revenue hierarchy of top watch brands and illustrated that the Apple Watch holds the 2nd place in revenue above Omega and others but second to Rolex. They did this in 18 months.

So, am looking for your thoughts on what these new features and revenue performance may play in the watch industry.

Suddenly, those dual watch bands are looking more inviting....

·
Registered
818 Posts
I didn't have any significant thoughts on the first one and I don't for this. I see tech/smart watches as very different than a quality traditional wrist watch. There's a certain aesthetic that I don't think any smart watch will come close to touching. Even the tag smart watch looks like a cheap trinket.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Everyone that owns one, loves it. At least the regular non-WIS group. My wife loves the one I got her.

I want a smart watch but I prefer the round case of the Moto 360 V2. Don't like the rectangle case.

I do love that Apple magnet mesh bracelet !

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
50m of water resistance is still pretty abysmal compared to other watches.
I am still not interested in owning one.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Numbers mean nothing until you apply spin. And this can be spun in a variety of ways. So that part didn't mean much to me.

I'm not certain if they're trying to go after the fitness watch market, or just recognizing that their market segment is more fitness-oriented. This, to me, is the key, long-term function for the whole segment.

I do think the ceramic case option is interesting...it gives me hope that ceramic cases could rise in popularity. (Or hurt that...if case breakage happens a bit too often.) Not that white would be my first choice, but that's OK.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
After seeing their financial labyrinth in Ireland with regards to earnings and profits , plus no third party data, I'd take their figures with a pound, no kilo, of salt.

Couple this with independent market research showing Apple Watch sales absolutely tanking in the second half of the year, I don't think 50m and independent GPS is going to have a significant impact. Dual core processor is invisible to the user, and it looks the same. Who cares?

I'd go with a TAG smartwatch if someone made me choose a smartwatch with a gun to my head.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that smart watches and traditional watches are targeting two very different segments. People who would regularly wear an Apple Watch won't be owners of high end or luxury timepieces.

The WR is interesting and I like the idea of the ceramic case, but I guess the whole idea just isn't for me. I don't need a watch to replace my phone, and I don't want to be reminded of every email and text that hits my inbox every day. The fitness watch segment is really the only place that a smart watch makes sense to me, and even then, it just seems really unnecessary. Until they announce some killer feature I'll steer clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm not that into the white color of the ceramic version, but I'm seriously debating getting that one. I have the steel and it scratches a lot. What I would have liked is a thinner model, titanium, and a cell chip. I am content with updating for the better chip, gps, and water resistant so at the least I am getting the SS. I'm also happy the straps from series 1 will work with series 2.

50m of water resistance is still pretty abysmal compared to other watches.
I am still not interested in owning one.
How many people actually need more than 50m water resistance? I think that's plenty for almost all users.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This will impact the fashion brand segment.

Won't impact the "luxury" ($3K+) market. When you're getting dressed up for a night out...slapping on an Apple 2 just doesn't cut it.

When you wanna wear a cool diver from one of the micro brands...slapping on an Apple 2 won't cut it.

If your wrist is currently occupied by a mall fashion watch, it can easily be replaced by an Apple 2.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,355 Posts
My 2 credis is that the smartwatch market targets $1000 and below buyers. The mechanical engineering market over that will likely be in impacted.
What the ultimate fate of smartwatch are, I have little idea.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It still doesn't have that "aha!" Element - it's not solving any need or problem that my phone doesn't do way better. Can't see a reason to swap any of my watches for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It was rather ho hum. They're lengthening the life span of this design. It's too thick. This is like an Apple watch S model. When it becomes thinner it'll probably speak to me more.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
^I've read the new one is a tad thicker actually, like 1mm thicker, but I couldn't verify it since the apple store is down.

·
Administrator
36,963 Posts
This will impact the fashion brand segment.

Won't impact the "luxury" ($3K+) market. When you're getting dressed up for a night out...slapping on an Apple 2 just doesn't cut it.

When you wanna wear a cool diver from one of the micro brands...slapping on an Apple 2 won't cut it.

If your wrist is currently occupied by a mall fashion watch, it can easily be replaced by an Apple 2.
I agree here, and apparently Apple does too with the discontinuation of their top tier precious metal versions: Apple’s luxury watch dream is over | The Verge

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Series 2 looks like a solid upgrade. 50m water resistance and GPS are great capabilities, especially if you're into casual fitness and sports.

I'm sure Apple would like the case to be thinning, but looks like the tech isn't there yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm an android fan and not really drawn to any smartwatch myself. But I just ordered the AW series 2 for my girlfriend and I'll tell you why I think it's a good match for her.

She's already in the iOS ecosystem (iphone, ipad)
she's a casual runner, a good swimmer, we often ride bikes with the baby in the back, and I recently (2 years ago) got her hyped for triathlons (she's done 2 already).

before Apple introduced the GPS and water resistance in the AW, it didn't make sense to just have another screen for notifications, sms, and whatnot. But now, she'll have a more useful device for recording and keeping track of her workouts (previously, she used the Iphone strapped on her arm for running and that's it. No rides or swim recording).

pair it with Bluetooth headphones during her runs and she'll be very happy to ditch the Iphone.

Last year, I had thought about buying her a real training watch (Garmin or Suunto) and I literally asked her if she would like to have one like me (Suunto Ambit). And she said it would look ridiculous on her skinny wrists (during sports or everyday use). So now, she'll have a smaller, thinner smartwatch, fitness and sports tracker and fashion statement, all in one !

for me, if I had one smartwatch to choose from it would be the Asus Zen watch, but until they are able to fit a cell chip in it and I would be able to make calls with it, I'm going to pass this year once again...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts