WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a new watch. I currently have a gw9400. I love the look and feel of the original rangeman. I am more into the look of the new watch. I know gps, compass,etc will not be used much. I am considering the new rangeman b1000, gwf1000 frogman, gwg1000 mudmaster, and possibly the gwg100 (same look but less features and cost) Thoughts on any of these 4 or reasons to get one over the other. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Looking to add a new watch. I currently have a gw9400. I love the look and feel of the original rangeman. I am more into the look of the new watch. I know gps, compass,etc will not be used much. I am considering the new rangeman b1000, gwf1000 frogman, gwg1000 mudmaster, and possibly the gwg100 (same look but less features and cost) Thoughts on any of these 4 or reasons to get one over the other. Thanks for your help

Let me add a little to what I've said via PM to you.

If you're mainly going for looks and don't care about tech, then my choices would be:

1) GPR-B1000 - very cool look, although also very large. If you like very large watches, it's a no brainer. (it also happens to be the most technologically advanced of any of these watches. Even if you don't use all or most of the features - so what??)
2) GWG-1000 - really great look.
3) GWF-1000 - classic, great Frog. (However, the D1000 blows it away with tech. Plus c/f bands, and sapphire.)
4) GWG-100 - don't know a thing about it.

If you're going for looks AND tech, then my choices would be:

1) GWF-D1000 (not on your list, I know!)
2) GPR-B1000 - this might be my no. 1 if it were a bit smaller
3) GWG-1000
4) GWF-1000
5) GWG-100

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check out the gwf-d1000, does that have the longer band? That was my hesitation with that if so

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Thanks, I will check out the gwf-d1000, does that have the longer band? That was my hesitation with that if so
Yes, longer bands than the GWF-1000, also with carbon fiber. (most if not all versions)

Reactions: Retroglide

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently purchased the Rangeman B1000 and immediately sold it. It's a very nice watch with lots of tech, but too large and too thick for my taste. Also, the negative display is nice during the day, but once the sun started to set, the watch became hard to read in the evening (while still light outside). This even happened sitting in my living room at night with the light on. I think if this watch didn't have the rotary dial (which has play and seems weak), had a positive display and was in a somewhat smaller foot print, it would have been much better IMHO.

Therefore, after selling my Rangeman a week ago, I immediately purchased a GWF-D1000 Frogman and couldn't be happier. The watch is striking, fits like a glove, and exudes quality. I have purchased a lot of watches in my day, but this watch is by far the best I have ever owned. It doesn't have as much tech as the Rangeman, but has the essentials as most will never use the majority of Rangeman features anyway. The Frogman just feels like a watch that will survive the apocalypse and looks/feels amazing while doing it.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I would go with the GWF-1035F or the GPR-B1000TF...I think the Frogman would be first because of the nice touches it has being an anniversary edition and it wears smaller than the Rangeman...but if you don't care about size and you want GPS and the ability to plan an outdoor hike and route the Rangeman is a great choice. I own both and like them equally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,978 Posts
That’s a tough choice. If you don’t have a straight digital, the Frogman. If you have smaller wrists, a lot of people say the Mudmaster wears well for its size. Maybe go for the Frogman first - it’s less expensive and can be easily flipped if you just don’t jive with it. But both are sweet watches.

My personal preference is the GWF-1000. I have not handled the GWF-D1000, so there's that. But there are two reasons: 1.) I like the moon and tide display better, and 2.) the extra features are not worth the extra money to me. So between the GWF-1000 and GWG-1000, it's tough. But the prices have changed. I bought my GWF-1000 for $330 and my GWG-1000 or $400. From quick searches on eBay and Watchrecon, it looks like the GWF-1000 and GWG-1000 are both around $400 now. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the GWG-1000. But they compliment each other perfectly - the GWG-1000 doesn't have moon phase or tide, where the GWF-1000 does. And one is primarily analog and the other is straight digital.

I think I'm just rambling at this point, but of all the features I use on these two watches are the barometer and thermometer - which are both on the GWG-1000. (And the GWF-D1000 has a thermometer, but it gives up a barometer for a depth gauge - which I have zero use for.) The barometer is more or less a novelty - if it's going down, there might be snow or rain coming, if it's going up, the snow or rain is leaving. It's not super accurate and I can get that same information from elsewhere easily. But the thermometer is a nice feature. I keep an eye on it when I'm doing landscaping stuff in the summer. It's measuring a combination of the air temp, watch temp and my wrist temp - but I just take note of when I start feeling uncomfortable then I keep myself below that.

And I have had zero interest in the B1000. There are just too many features I wouldn't use for the price.

So the B1000 isn't even on my radar. And between the two Frogs, I prefer the GWF-1000. But at the same price now as the GWF-1000, I'd prefer the GWG-1000 Mudmaster.

And if you are concerned with the size of these watches, the GWG-1000 is probably your ticket. The B1000 should be off the table unless the technical features are a must. Between the GWF-1000 and GWF-B1000, the GWF-1000 is smaller all around - I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on the wrist. But ultimately, the GWG-1000 wears better on my wrist. Although with 7 3/4 inch wrists, the GWF-1000 wears just fine. But people with smaller wrists have said the GWG-1000 Mudmaster wears very well for its size. G-Shock High Fashion on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxNyIdbck8QnEl5lY2UUWKQ/videos) has some small wrists and shows you these watches.

As far as the the GW9400 goes, I've owned it twice and sold it both times. The GWG-1000 and GWF-1000 are in a completely different league as far as fit and finish goes - as they should be for the price. So if you are in a position to, I'd move beyond the GW9400. It is absolutely unrivaled when it comes to value and price-to-features, it's a home run. And it is a cut above typical G-Shocks like the 5600 and 6900 in the quality of materials. But the Frogman and Mudmaster go even further in quality.

For alternatives, have you looked at the quad sensor Gulfmaster - GWNQ-1000 I believe? And there are a whole bunch of G-Shock Steel models out there now - I'm not familiar enough to recommend any. And I'm not sure of your budget, but the new Gravitymaster with the Carbon Monocoque case is freaking sweet - https://www.g-central.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/GWR-B1000-Gravitymaster-March-2019.jpg. The price looks about inline with the B1000.

Well, I feel like I've rambled on. I hope at least some of this is helpful to you. I think the GWG-1000 Mudmaster is probably your best option.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Just get the GWG-1000 Muddy. It's already a classic and one of the best looking Gs ever made. It's also fairly comfortable for a large watch. Don't get me wrong, I love the GPR, but it is humorously large for everyday use. And the Frogman, while nice, is still not a watch I'd call comfortable to wear.

IMAG8844.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Just get the GWG-1000 Muddy. It's already a classic and one of the best looking Gs ever made. It's also fairly comfortable for a large watch. Don't get me wrong, I love the GPR, but it is humorously large for everyday use. And the Frogman, while nice, is still not a watch I'd call comfortable to wear.

View attachment 13950545

Easy for you to say with that gorgeous Maharishi on your wrist! :-d:-d

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Easy for you to say with that gorgeous Maharishi on your wrist! :-d:-d
A good F17 buddy of mine used to own one of these as well. Hmm ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts