WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

So I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on EBEL as a brand ? I noticed that this brand does not have its own sub-section on this forum.....does that mean its not a quality/ recognised brand ? is it considered high end and if so which other brand are they comparable to.....

I believe they make both mechanical and quartz, for men and women yet there do not seem to be many/or no threads on this brand. The reason I ask is that I saw a EBEL wave classic for women that I quite liked. I prefer quartz watches and don't want to turn this into a Quartz V Mechanical debate as i usually just go for aesthetics rather than whats inside the watch, As long as its from a reputable company and good quality

Your opinions and thoughts please.
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was never a fan of the Sportwave, but the rest I liked. Do a search, there's a lot written on them.
Thanks for the reply, i think the sport wave maybe a slightly different model the one i was referring to is below. it is listed as the classic wave ....seems like they are not very popular. maybe more of a fashion brand although i wasnt thinking of them in that way. anybody else ?

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
The Classic Wave is indeed different to the Sportwave. The Classic Wave is a very beautiful design and has been Ebel's signature model for many years. The quality is excellent.
There is, however, one major drawback - the case back is not screwed on like on most other models. It is a one-piece case and the movement must be accessed through the crystal. This can make a simple battery change quite expensive, unless you're very friendly with your local watchmaker.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Classic Wave is indeed different to the Sportwave. The Classic Wave is a very beautiful design and has been Ebel's signature model for many years. The quality is excellent.
There is, however, one major drawback - the case back is not screwed on like on most other models. It is a one-piece case and the movement must be accessed through the crystal. This can make a simple battery change quite expensive, unless you're very friendly with your local watchmaker.

ahhh very interesting, thanks for that little gem of info. If i did buy one i would be sending it back to ebel for the battery change as i would not know where else to get it done. When you say expensive i assume you mean maybe double or more of what i would pay for regular battery change and reseal ?

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
I would say easily more than double. Perhaps email a service center and ask for an estimate. You could also do a google search using terms like 'ebel classic wave battery change' and see if others have reported experiences and costs involved.

·
Registered
38,803 Posts
Yep, 'pop-tops' can be a pain.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The "snob-wannabes" get their noses hung-up in the sprinkler heads over them.
Exactly.....there's nothing wrong with Ebel watches. They are well made and reliable and the ladies line, which is what they have decided to primarily concentrate on going forward is very stylish.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Nothing wrong with them but how do they compare to other similarly priced brands?
Does it matter as long as Ebel has one the OP really likes? She'd be buying a nice watch, from a reputable company, that is well made, will tell time accurately and just might put a smile on her face when she straps it to her wrist. Seems like a nice option for her. And one maybe we could support.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well she did ask for thoughts on it... I hope she's happy with it, always great to see people getting into watches but she asked for thoughts about the brand and I was asking for others opinions of the brand as it relates to other similarly priced brands... so Yes, it does matter.

Does it matter as long as Ebel has one the OP really likes? She'd be buying a nice watch, from a reputable company, that is well made, will tell time accurately and just might put a smile on her face when she straps it to her wrist. Seems like a nice option for her. And one maybe we could support.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Yes it matters but it's a difficult question to answer. As usual much is subjective, and especially with Ebel, with such distinctive designs that either turn you on or turn you off, the decision can be as much emotional as financial.

Purely on price, I would say that at MSRP there are plenty of attractive alternatives.
But Ebel can sometimes be found with significant discounts, at which point they can become very appealing indeed if you do like the design given the great value for the quality you get.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Ebel is a brand with a real history, at one time decades ago it was one of the hottest brands with Hollywood. It is also a brand in serious decline. It sold its in-house chronograph movement to UN. Movado hoped Ebel could be built into an the movement maker for their other brands, but after years of brand building trying to establish Ebel as an elite brand, they have apparently given up on this endeavor. I think some of their watches are attractive, and there are deep discounts to be had, but I have not seen anything tempting enough to pull the trigger on.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Ebel is a brand with a real history, at one time decades ago it was one of the hottest brands with Hollywood. It is also a brand in serious decline. It sold its in-house chronograph movement to UN. Movado hoped Ebel could be built into an the movement maker for their other brands, but after years of brand building trying to establish Ebel as an elite brand, they have apparently given up on this endeavor. I think some of their watches are attractive, and there are deep discounts to be had, but I have not seen anything tempting enough to pull the trigger on.
I just bought one of the last of the Ebel 1911 BTR 137 (the movement they sold to UN) Chronographs. It's an amazing value at $1785. I may not have been interested in this watch at MSRP (nearly $6K), but at 70% off with 3 years manufacturer warranty, it was, for me, a no-brainer.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
This time four years ago, after Wall Street and other markets tanked, grey market dealers were flooded with product from dealers dumping inventory unsold after Christmas. I got a new Ebel Classic Wave Automatic (2892-A2) from Ashford for less than $700.

It is my most beautiful watch. Amazingly beautiful. The bracelet is gracefully shaped - a wonderful two tone with gold accent between the links. The integration of the bracelet to the case enhances the aesthetic of both. The case becomes part of the bracelet with its solid back and front-loading of the movement through a solid gold bezel held in with solid gold screws. The movement itself came in adjusted to well better than COSC Chronometer standards.

If I had to go down to less than a dozen watches (I have >200) this would be the first one I'd choose to keep. Truly a beautiful piece. The Ebel Classic Wave is the ultimate men's jewelry watch... subdued and the best of the mass produced end of the Swiss watch industry. (i.e. watches we can afford, not just read about.)

I've looked multiple times for another one. The Automatics are way rare. And never this cheap.

The Ebel Classic Wave is, without doubt, the most beautiful watch in the world. I'm a moderator. I would not lie to you :-d

·
Premium Member
20,846 Posts
I like the offerings in their Ebel 1911 series, including the Ebel 1911 BTR chronographs (based on the in-house 137 calibre), Ebel 1911 BTR GMT, and Ebel 1911 Discovery chronographs. They're not held in high regard on watch forums because there is significant amount of snobbery about watch brands which offer quartz watches, and use ETA movements.

Unfortunately, Ebel is essentially exiting the luxury men's watch business, with the sale of the rights to the 137 calibre to Ulysse Nardin, and the emphasis on womens' watches with quartz movements. While they're being cleared out at Movado Company Stores, and grey market dealers, they are a particularly compelling deal, offering a high quality product for an amazing discount, but these are part of a dying breed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts