WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking some input from other Omega owners. I am considering a Speedmaster HB-SIA and have done some reading about this watch but would really like to solicit input from forum members. Is this a great watch to add to a small collection or something you would pass on? The only other omega I own is a Planet Ocean 42 with the 2500d movement.
Your thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
38,846 Posts
The Speedy is one of Omega's best models, IMHO, and I would not hesitate to get one if I found the right deal.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
It’s got an interesting dial. Could be a great daily because of the weight (titanium). Years ago this was my grail.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have one!!!!

I like the slim profile, the accuracy (hovers between +2 and +5 seconds a day). The chrono feels solid but not stiff. The legibility is second to none.

What I don't like? Few points.

I am not a fan of the carbon dial. Its a bit newish fashiony to me.

The tachymeter scale drives me crazy. It's stupid.

The case has fairly long lugs and it wears larger than it might appear. Not that i mind perse buy sometimes I'm like... hmm.... it looks larger than others.

The HB-Sia is not an average speedmaster. It has its own thing. Mine is a few years old so the initial issues with the 3603 movement are sorted. 3606?? Can't remember.

Do I recommend it?

No.

I wish i got the Sinn 103_Ti_DIAPAL. It has a smart escapement. It has a column wheel chrono. It is 100% titanium and sapphire crystal (and caseback). It has a usable bezel. It's cheaper.

But not omega.

And when I got mine, just 2 weeks later Sinn released the 103 with the column wheel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't "hate" this watch by any means. I just think that at 5000 euro's 2nd hand, 10k new, this is an expensive piece of name dropping.

Also. This one does not have a quick date setting mode! SO ANNOYING! The Sinn 103 actually does.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This one does not have a quick date setting mode! SO ANNOYING! The Sinn 103 actually does.
I understand the date concern, but it's not exactly the traditional set up. The movement has a jumping hour hand, similar to an Omega GMT, or Rolex GMT. The date changes happen with the hour hand. You don't need to stop the watch to adjust time zones when you're traveling. For me, that's useful, and even preferred, so it all depends on what you're looking for.

I don't own one of these, but have handled one. To me, it's arguably one of the most sporty, functional, and legible Speedmasters with the the classic speedy lines.

The entry price has always kept me from getting one. Used, it would depend on the deal, I guess. The solar impulse connection is special, IMO, but this wouldn't be the case for everyone.

It doesn't appear to be a "hot" item, so it better make you smile before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
578 Posts
To me, it's arguably one of the most sporty, functional, and legible Speedmasters with the the classic speedy lines.

That is what drew me to this one. My issues with this watch are minor.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks JP, this is becoming a tough decision. If I wait long enough someone else will buy it and problem solved.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well, problem solved. I bought a hesalite 42mm Speedy instead. I know it's a lot more common but it is a classic. Thank you for the input.
Classy choice! Enjoy!

(I had to go with this one, personally, because it's titanium (steel allergy) and GMT + chrono,becuase I need both on a daily basis)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts