WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@seagullfan announced the stretch goals for his Solas Starlight. At 100K Euros, the Starlight strap is upgraded from Horween Leather to Salmon leather.

What are your thoughts on this upgrade, which seems pretty good for a $432 watch at the lowest currently available level? What are the benefits of Salmon? How does it compare to Horween? I have had great luck with Horween so far.

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
I owned a salmon strap with salmon color (pastel pink/orange/silver in a subdued acceptable tone)--nothing special really, but nothing at all like Horween leather (hard, treated leather)--the salmon was smooth, flexible, but really not all that attractive as a watch strap, might work better for a women's watch than a men's--I would take any leather, croc, gator, manta ray, or python before I took another salmon.

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Makes me want a sushi roll.

As far as a strap, not my thing but then again, it might be the perfect match for a watch that uses comic sans and pieces of a castoff disco ball for the dial.

Reactions: wgarbo and plohmann

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depends on the watch and what you're wearing it with, but salmon is always solid to throw in the mix. Not an every day look though

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Depends on the watch and what you're wearing it with, but salmon is always a solid color to throw in the mix. Not an every day look though
As far as I understand it, the band is made from salmon leather, not salmon colored.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
There are a few ways to make these straps ... I am not sure salmon is correct as I have heard tilapia, barramundi, even carp. Below is an old style strap simply billed as "fish". I have a scaly looking strap that I don't have photos of yet. Fish is versatile ... the looks are varied. it is an interesting exotic looking material.

... [ edit ]

found an example of the "scaly" fish strap I have below ... photo stolen from the internet ;) .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a few ways to make these straps ... I am not sure salmon is correct as I have heard tilapia, barramundi, even carp. Below is an old style strap simply billed as "fish". I have a scaly looking strap that I don't have photos of yet. Fish is versatile ... the looks are varied. it is an interesting exotic looking material.

... [ edit ]
Looks fantastic on that Lum-Tec.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Didn't Atelier Wen supply salmon straps with their watches or have them as an option? I recall seeing photos and thought they looked rather cool.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,339 Posts
That would be a unique look that would go well with a diver. As with sharkskin, stingray and other ocean based skins.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi, I'm also a backer. I'd prefer the salmon (which btw are backed with full-grain nubuck leather on the inside), mainly because it looks dressier, while the standard Horween with the now-ubiquitous side stitches is more on the sporty side.
Also for a watch with some pretty unique features (the aventurine and micro rotor), an "exotic" strap, which is not something I usually care for, seems appropriate. I will probably go for the paid upgrade if the goal is not met.
There are some nice pictures on the Instagram of Turas Leather, who does the straps for Solas, this "glistening grey" looks fantastic (although if I understood correctly maybe only black will be available):
http://instagr.am/p/CE4Rn6oAK9d/

·
Premium Member
36,171 Posts
They look nice, and are certainly something different.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I love the textured salmon straps (though over time would be concerned about longevity vs the fully sealed salmon leather) - here's a unique version we did of the Starlight for charity that used funky purple salmon leather straps - I think the purple worked quite well with the rose gold:

http://instagr.am/p/CGZ_bb8n_l-/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts