WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking to sell off most of my collection in order to fund a FC775 - Perpetual calendar in steel. Since the watch came out early last year, I just can't stop thinking about it. I mean the balance of the watch with the 3 dials is absolutely perfect. That being said, I have noticed a few drawbacks, and although not completely deal breakers, I'd love to get your opinions on these points
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

1) Size - at 42mm, I know it's the new "normal" but for me it still feels a little bulky and thick for someone who's use to wearing a 38/39mm watch daily. I personally own a tudor black bay blue, and it's probably one of my least worn watches. However, having tried on the fc775 at the shop, it really doesn't feel as bulky as the tudor black bay.

2) Lack of seconds hand - I've seen a few reviews comment on this, the lack of seconds hands makes it feel less like an automatic watch since you can't see the sweeping seconds. but I feel with such a clean watch face, the seconds hand would/could over crowd the watch face.

3) Strap size - 21mm - I know you can get custom watch straps made at 21mm, however, why Frederique why.

Love to hear you guys thoughts on this!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I share the same concerns as you, I need a running seconds and 42mm especially on a thin bezeled watch makes it look huge. I think it is a fantastic offering and value but for me it would have to be perfect so I wouldn't purchase. You don't want to regret your decision as I am sure you would get killed on resale. That being said if you are ok with the size and lack of seconds I would go for it. If it was 39-40mm with a running seconds I would think hard about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I share the same concerns as you, I need a running seconds and 42mm especially on a thin bezeled watch makes it look huge. I think it is a fantastic offering and value but for me it would have to be perfect so I wouldn't purchase. You don't want to regret your decision as I am sure you would get killed on resale. That being said if you are ok with the size and lack of seconds I would go for it. If it was 39-40mm with a running seconds I would think hard about it. Good luck.
Yeaa agreed! I've seen one that's new old stock on chrono24 for around 25% off the retail price, it really does show how it struggles to hold value.
I reckon if I were to buy it, it wouldn't be as an investment piece, but one to keep and wear, given I could handle the bulkiness of it all

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My only issue would be the lack of a seconds hand.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
On the surface, a perpetual calendar watch is pretty cool. But just beneath the surface, are their utility really worth the money? I guess if you were to wear the thing everyday of your life, you would probably get dependent on all that info. But most of here change their watch more frequently than their underware, so having to reset the thing every time would be a pain.

heb

·
Registered
Mathey-Tissot, Hamilton, Lorier, Seiko
1,026 Posts
I wish they would have made this 40mm or spaced the dials even more. Peter said they designed the movement around the dial balance so it wouldn't appear to be so cluttered in the center. However, that's exactly how it looks to me at 42mm...off balance <scratches head>.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.