WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Oris have announced an addition to their top-of-the-line in house Calibre range, with the Calibre 113, featuring a "business calendar" function. To debut at Baselworld in March. Initially, I thought the dial quite busy, but I am growing to like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
The dial is really a bit too busy for me although you will get used to it quite quickly once it will be on your wrist.

My favorite is the 112 which was released on last year's Baselworld.

My AD owns a 111 and is really very satisfied although it takes ages to fully wind the movement :-d:-d

Cheers
Wolfgang

·
Registered
534 Posts
OP, I had thought the same thing originally with the 112, and then it grew on me. For a busy face, it's done quite simply I think. They took something that could've very easily been clunky and overdone, and made it quite slick. (That, and I'm a sucker for dark slate blue steel watches on black bands).

This is the same, but I agree the PE is just a little too big. Like they didn't want to have a lot of empty dial space of something.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I am really liking this watch, in particular the white dial version, but the date position and subsequent impact on the dial is just frustrating. I think positioning the date at 6 o'clock just above the '10 DAYS' text and adding the gold/silver hour marker would have looked much better. I did a quick Photoshop effort for a side-by-side comparison....

Oris Artelier Calibre 113 SbS.jpg

..... what do you guys think?

(I used the grey dial because I couldn't find a straight-on photo of the white dial.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am really liking this watch, in particular the white dial version, but the date position and subsequent impact on the dial is just frustrating. I think positioning the date at 6 o'clock just above the '10 DAYS' text and adding the gold/silver hour marker would have looked much better. I did a quick Photoshop effort for a side-by-side comparison....

View attachment 10589930

..... what do you guys think?

(I used the grey dial because I couldn't find a straight-on photo of the white dial.)
Yes, the date placement somewhat annoys me on these special Calibres, and I think your suggestion is better. However I believe the date placement may be dictated by the layout of the movement of the watch.

I really like this legibility of the anthracite dial version. Will be interesting to see in person after Baselworld.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes, the date placement somewhat annoys me on these special Calibres, and I think your suggestion is better. However I believe the date placement may be dictated by the layout of the movement of the watch.

I really like this legibility of the anthracite dial version. Will be interesting to see in person after Baselworld.
Oh, I agree. I'm sure moving the date is not a simple task due to the movement design and it is in the same place on all the Calibre 11x models. It's just a shame they bit into the small seconds subdial instead of going for the natural symmetry with the Day window. Oh well!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big fan of Oris Calibre movements. I really like this one because it puts some of the most "usable" functions into a watch. Haven't really found any info on it, so I'm going to assume it's not an annual calendar, but the week numbers are a nice addition next to the months. Good combination of functions and looks for business use.

I am really liking this watch, in particular the white dial version, but the date position and subsequent impact on the dial is just frustrating. I think positioning the date at 6 o'clock just above the '10 DAYS' text and adding the gold/silver hour marker would have looked much better. What do you guys think?
From a design point of view, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, a date disk for a date window like this, is quite large. That's why you'll find the window on the outer edge of the dial, otherwise the circle just isn't big enough to put on all the numbers. Putting it that close to the centre of the dial would only work with a "big date" set-up with 2 sub-dials, and that would require massive adjustments in the actual movement.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big fan of Oris Calibre movements. I really like this one because it puts some of the most "usable" functions into a watch. Haven't really found any info on it, so I'm going to assume it's not an annual calendar, but the week numbers are a nice addition next to the months. Good combination of functions and looks for business
Good review now on A Blog to Watch:
Oris Artelier Calibre 113 Watch | aBlogtoWatch

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A new model is now available with gold-plated hands and indices but it still has the stupid date placement. I would prefer no date to the way they have designed it:

Oris-Artelier-Calibre-111_001.jpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
A new model is now available with gold-plated hands and indices but it still has the stupid date placement. I would prefer no date to the way they have designed it:

View attachment 13625593
Yes, but at least they got rid of that silly 'week counter' going around the outside of the dial that corresponded to the months. What a silly complication, IMHO.

Maybe I'm being too cranky with this, but I'd much rather have a watch with an oddly placed date window than a function that straight up insults my intelligence. Maybe in part because I really like the 112 and was not impressed by the 113 dial layout.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
this is a new model cal 111 not a 113.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes this indeed is a new colour variation of the Artelier Calibre 111 that came out in 2015, which has no business calendar. Only the limited edition (and discontinued) Artelier Calibre 110 had no date.

My favourite of the whole Calibre 110-114 range is the blue Calibre 111:
IMG_1341.jpg

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

Yes, sorry. I just went to a thread I had posted in before, thinking it was a general thread about the family of watches rather than specific to the 113.

My point about the date placement is common across both the 111 and the 113, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts