WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who knows Eternas better than I do weigh in on this? The dial says Eterna-Matic, but it's lacking the 5-ball bearing logo. Did Eterna ever make watches/dials like that?

Any other thoughts about this watch? It is supposed to be rose gold (doesn't say gold filled) and SS. Would that be a normal combination?

thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'd steer away from this one. The lug at 7 seems bent, the lug at 11 looks to be stainless, and something just looks off to me about the hands, I think they should be lumed.

The case is most likely gold-capped, which I personally like but the loss of gold on a lug isn't really uncommon on these.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Redial at best. First of all, the dial should simply say "Eterna", with "automatic" under that. That's because it's a bumper automatic, and these did not feature the Eterna-Matic bearing system- it was used only in rotor automatic movements. The other thing that's wrong is the combination of a lumed dial and non-lumed hands. Hands might well be original, but that dial printing looks quite crappy, actually.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Oh, and another thing- the case is so-called "gold cap", which means it's a gold or gilt bezel + top (and sometimes the sides as well) of the lugs plated with gold. This one seems to be missing the plating on the upper left lug, and the bezel is badly chipped at 7 o'clock.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all, for confirming my suspicions. I thought the crown looked pretty off, too. A very good learning experience. Chalk up another one for eBay sellers with 100% positive feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts