WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here trying to pick up a good quality watch with a decent movement. Decided that Mido would be a good entry for me as their styles are nice and they are affordable. They use eta movements (usually elabore or top from what I'm reading). I came across this listing on the bay and instantly fell in love with the clean white dial.

Mido Baroncelli Stainless Steel Chronometer Automatic Date Watch M0104081101100 | eBay

This bay seller isn't an AD but the pictures look legit.

So my questions:

What does everyone think of this watch?
Does it look real or fake?
Since it reads chronometer on the face, does this mean the internals should be cosc spec?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,772 Posts
Be sure to shop other grey market dealers. The movement should be expected to perform to cosc standards as long as it is relatively new. If it has been 5 years since the movement was manufactured then the lubricants will have thickened and it likely will no longer perform to cosc specs and the power reserve will have shortened some. That will happen whether the movement was used or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It won't come with outer box or papers. Is that okay? I was able to message the seller and negotiate down to $500

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,772 Posts
It won't come with outer box or papers. Is that okay? I was able to message the seller and negotiate down to $500

It's ok if you like the price and understand that as mentioned above the watch probably will no longer perform to cosc standards. The Baroncelli line has been around several years and the watch may be due for a service. The cost of that service may be reflected in the new price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do like the price. And supposedly it's a new watch, never worn and still has original tags and plastic on it.

What are the chances that a new old stock watch would require service immediately?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

If you like it....As has been said, if the watch is NOS or just not new, it may be time for service...I've purchased two NOS
watches and then had them serviced immediately.....I made that decision b/4 I bought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you like it....As has been said, if the watch is NOS or just not new, it may be time for service...I've purchased two NOS
watches and then had them serviced immediately.....I made that decision b/4 I bought.
How much would I expect to shell out for service? Sorry I've never had to take a what in for service before.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
How much would I expect to shell out for service? Sorry I've never had to take a what in for service before.

Depends upon where you are...$150.-300.00 I'd say.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I do like the price. And supposedly it's a new watch, never worn and still has original tags and plastic on it.

What are the chances that a new old stock watch would require service immediately?

Reasonable. The oils migrate and age just sitting on a shelf. But hey, for 5 bills I think it's worth it. You can always send it Mido and try for a warranty repair if it needs it. The worst they can do is say no.

Bet it's OK though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reasonable. The oils migrate and age just sitting on a shelf. But hey, for 5 bills I think it's worth it. You can always send it Mido and try for a warranty repair if it needs it. The worst they can do is say no.

Bet it's OK though.
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a Baroncelli also - different model, but at $500 NOS? Yes, a great deal! :) If I didn't ave one already, I would have bid against you :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
This friendly banter brings up a good point. Do you all sometimes find yourself reluctant to bring up an Ebay watch (you may be interested in) here for comment for fear that one of the thread members would "snipe" the watch out from under you? Just curious...

NICE watch, OP!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Great watch and an excellent price. Congrats on the find.

I paid almost that much for a used, elabore grade, Baroncelli a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts