WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Thoughts on this Mido Baroncelli? Real or fake?

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Kennuth 
#1 ·
Newbie here trying to pick up a good quality watch with a decent movement. Decided that Mido would be a good entry for me as their styles are nice and they are affordable. They use eta movements (usually elabore or top from what I'm reading). I came across this listing on the bay and instantly fell in love with the clean white dial.

Mido Baroncelli Stainless Steel Chronometer Automatic Date Watch M0104081101100 | eBay

This bay seller isn't an AD but the pictures look legit.

So my questions:

What does everyone think of this watch?
Does it look real or fake?
Since it reads chronometer on the face, does this mean the internals should be cosc spec?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Be sure to shop other grey market dealers. The movement should be expected to perform to cosc standards as long as it is relatively new. If it has been 5 years since the movement was manufactured then the lubricants will have thickened and it likely will no longer perform to cosc specs and the power reserve will have shortened some. That will happen whether the movement was used or not.

#6 ·
It won't come with outer box or papers. Is that okay? I was able to message the seller and negotiate down to $500

It's ok if you like the price and understand that as mentioned above the watch probably will no longer perform to cosc standards. The Baroncelli line has been around several years and the watch may be due for a service. The cost of that service may be reflected in the new price.

#8 ·
I do like the price. And supposedly it's a new watch, never worn and still has original tags and plastic on it.

What are the chances that a new old stock watch would require service immediately?

#13 ·
I do like the price. And supposedly it's a new watch, never worn and still has original tags and plastic on it.

What are the chances that a new old stock watch would require service immediately?

Reasonable. The oils migrate and age just sitting on a shelf. But hey, for 5 bills I think it's worth it. You can always send it Mido and try for a warranty repair if it needs it. The worst they can do is say no.

Bet it's OK though.

#19 ·
This friendly banter brings up a good point. Do you all sometimes find yourself reluctant to bring up an Ebay watch (you may be interested in) here for comment for fear that one of the thread members would "snipe" the watch out from under you? Just curious...

NICE watch, OP!

#27 ·
Makes me question the value of Mido watches. From all the posts I've read, the consensus is that Mido watches are great value for the money - workhorse movement, good design, quality materials. So why would one only sell for $400?

#31 ·
Thanks jpfgiii - that's reassuring. I really like longines and was considering them but their price points hurt compared to the Mido. The longines master collection looks awesome with their white dials and blue hands. And while they use mostly stock etas, I've heard that they are decorated very nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.