WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

What do you guys think? There's an even patina across the dial, and the font seems OK to me. Dial looks original as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on the movement? Crystal is aftermarket, as well as the strap.

I'm finding it hard to find any information at all on vintage GP watches unfortunately...

Thanks in advance,
-J.

GP 1.JPG GP 2.JPG GP 10.JPG GP 4.JPG GP 6.JPG GP 8.JPG GP 7.JPG GP 11.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
The photos of the dial are either very poor, or badly distorted by scratches in the crystal, so I'm having a really hard time judging the dial. In some photos, the printing looks very uneven ("INCABLOC" especially), but I hate to rush to judgement based on those out-of-focus photos. One thing for sure, the case is very rough, and very badly over-polished. For me, that alone would be the end of the story. Also, it's strange to see so much damage to the metal in the movement. I'm used to seeing a few scratches here and there, but that movement looks like a used car dealer's lot after a hailstorm. I just have a really bad feeling about this watch overall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This picture might be a bit better. You've got the Swiss Made

I agree, movement picture looked scratched. I'm wondering whether it's just the picture quality though. What makes you say the case is overpolished?

GP 14.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
All of the sharp edges and lines (chamfers, bevels, etc) that were originally present on the case, bezel, and lugs are completely gone. Aggressive polishing using a buffing wheel has smoothed and rounded them into oblivion. This is a major factor in valuation of vintage watches. The dial looks much better in the latest photo.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
GP was hardly ever boasting (by means of an inscription on the dial) about the watch having the Incabloc device. Nevertheless, looks like they did that, as I've found some specimens on the Internets, which seem to have that inscription in combination with a genuine dial (most of the GPs that we see here are ghastly redials).

The finishing around the applied markers has me worried - looks almost as if they were sinking in the paint. Then again, the dial has patina, the font is correct, and the minute track is well-aligned. Old redials rarely get that accurate. Could be residue/dirt around the markers + poor lighting in the picture, that create that effect. Or they could be embossed, not applied.

As Dan said, the case is heavily overpolished, with all the edges sent to Fiddler's Green by whoever "restored" the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And in general, overpolishing is very bad for valuation? I'm really just buying it to wear it and enjoy it. I know it's gold filled too, so I generally wasn't buying it to eventually sell it again. I was reading it's usually not as bad if a dress watch is overpolished vs a diver or sports watch, is this true?

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Nobody would buy this watch with the idea of ever re-selling it. To be completely candid, because of its condition, it will never have any value. I believe that the gold plating has been completely polished off the side of one of the lugs and the side of the bezel. It's really a mess. Overpolishing is a major negative for any vintage watch - dress, diver, sports, etc.

It's common for newcomers to jump in too quickly and waste money on watches they ultimately wish they hadn't purchased. I have done this myself. I would urge you to spend a bit more time looking at vintage watches before wasting any money at all on this watch. Not only will you be disappointed with the aesthetics, most likely it will not run well, and then you will have to decide whether to waste even more money on repair and servicing. As you look at more watches, you will understand why people who appreciate vintage watches avoid examples like this one, your eye will become more sophisticated, and you will make a better investment.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There are a very large number of vintage Girard-Perregaux circulating in the market at any given time, and, for that reason, it makes little sense to settle for a poor quality example. Even at a low prove-point, one can do much, much better than this example.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input Hartmut, appreciate it. I managed to find another watch that looks similar to this one on another website. I mean...Other than the fact that the case is overpolished, why would anyone think this watch is fake? The fact that it's not common and you can't find a lot of these models around?The dial has even patina, the hands seem to be original with appropriate degree of wear. Yes, the case is heavily overpolished, so maybe I won't resell it. But I can't see any gold wear like one of the previous respondents states. I think it's mainly the first set of pictures that's granular. I can't see any gold wear on the second set of pictures. At any rate, I didn't pay very much for this watch, and I like the way it looks. But I know collectors will disagree.What I'm wondering, how can you tell that a watch is overpolished, vs a watch just not having bezeled edges of chamfers in the first place? Were watches during the 40/50s ever made with smooth edges? Or was that not technically feasible/not aesthetically pleasing at that time?Again, appreciate all of your input. I'm learning things,-J.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
To be honest, at this point I have no idea why you started this thread. Every single response urged you to pass up this watch and look for a better example, and yet you still decided to purchase the watch. So why would we continue to respond to further questions? It seems that you are only looking for answers that confirm your own beliefs, and you will keep asking until you get the answer you want to hear. And in any case, now that we know you own the watch, it would be unkind to criticize it.

In the end, it's your money and your choice, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your new watch and continue to participate in the forum to further your education about vintage watches. I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe so. I'm also trying to learn why people are saying it's in such bad shape. I agreed about the overpolishing. I can't see where others are referring to gold wear.

But in terms saying it's an outright fake, I'm not sure what would lead to that thought.

I asked about the lack of bezeled edges because I do occasionally see cases with softer, rounded edges, and I wonder whether it's always due to overpolishing.

At any rate, thanks for the advice. I'll get it serviced, hopefully won't cost too much.

-J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts