WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm new to the hobby (and Forum :) this is my first post) and was wondering what the more experienced folk have to say about this watch - at this price:
Jomashop

It has a pretty cool triple second complication, but does that make it too 'gimmicky'?
The design seems very thoughtful with a great balance of elegance and sport. It has a beautiful dial and Tissot cleverly rid itself of an asymmetrical date window.
On the other hand there seems to be no love for Tissot on this forum.
And finally, the movement and power reserve are nothing special but $360 seems to be a great price for a swiss watch.
Thanks guys in advance! (y)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Personally I think it is a cool concept. It reminds me of the Milus tri-retrograde seconds watches. There was one for sale here recently and the asking price was reduced to 300USD. The ad does not state "sold" so I am unsure if it did. Maybe seek out the seller and inquire if it is still for sale. I believe with that evidence you may take a hit on resale.

Save 60 bucks or buy new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was pretty seriously considering buying one of these myself a month or so ago - especially at that price from Jomashop (where I've bought watches before). Ultimately did not pull the trigger, but that's mainly because I'm really trying hard to pare down my collection & wasn't sure I'd wear it enough to justify it taking a remaining spot in the watch box.

I think for the price point it's pretty good value for the money (Tissot in general is, IMHO) - so if you like the design & don't already have a driving/racing/conversation-piece type watch like this, I say go for it.

Also welcome to the forums 🍻

·
Registered
330 Posts
very nice! I didn't even know Tissot makes a watch like this.
yes, some people would call this gimmicky, but that's just a subjective opinion. if you enjoy this feature, why not.
this is more interesting than the countless dive watches i see on a regular basis.
keep hunting for those weird ones!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm new to the hobby (and Forum :) this is my first post) and was wondering what the more experienced folk have to say about this watch - at this price:
Jomashop
View attachment 15649042
View attachment 15649046
It has a pretty cool triple second complication, but does that make it too 'gimmicky'?
The design seems very thoughtful with a great balance of elegance and sport. It has a beautiful dial and Tissot cleverly rid itself of an asymmetrical date window.
On the other hand there seems to be no love for Tissot on this forum.
And finally, the movement and power reserve are nothing special but $360 seems to be a great price for a swiss watch.
Thanks guys in advance! (y)
It looks cool, go for it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that milus is one cool watch
Personally I think it is a cool concept. It reminds me of the Milus tri-retrograde seconds watches. There was one for sale here recently and the asking price was reduced to 300USD. The ad does not state "sold" so I am unsure if it did. Maybe seek out the seller and inquire if it is still for sale. I believe with that evidence you may take a hit on resale.

Save 60 bucks or buy new.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,779 Posts
I've enjoyed all their automotive themed watches. That triple seconds display is eye catching and must be a first. If you get it please give us a review.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
You need to ask yourself:
1) why it is 66% off from the recommended retail price,
2) why is the T100.428.16.051.00 not currently listed on Tissot or Amazon's Canadian sites, and
3) the real cost of bring it into Canada — foreign exchange, 5% duty, shipping costs.

If it was me, I would skip over this one currently being sold by Jomashop, and either wait for Tissot to re-issue it again or "hunt" for a similar watch with an ETA 2825-2 calibre.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like it a lot. Great case shape. Tissot makes great watches. That price looks good too! I would consider that a good score!

It is unusual, but that’s down to personal taste... it’s not like it’s from an obscure micro brand. This is a PRS 516, which is still being made by Tissot.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good watch for the price. I’ve actually tried that exact one on in an AD before. It’s very nice on the wrist.

I almost bought it at the time but it was much more expensive than that price and that sorta pushed me away. At that price I may now have to reconsider three years later 😂

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
An automatic watch from a good company with a ceramic bezel for $300-$360 sounds like a good deal to me.

But can someone explain how the sub-seconds works in three different windows? The OP's photo suggests it's on 37 seconds but the hand is short. Are there two other red second hands involved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An automatic watch from a good company with a ceramic bezel for $300-$360 sounds like a good deal to me.

But can someone explain how the sub-seconds works in three different windows? The OP's photo suggests it's on 37 seconds but the hand is short. Are there two other red second hands involved?
Thanks for your input!

From this:

(its in German, I know :)) and some other YouTube videos it seems that there are three separate second hands and when, for example, the first hand reaches the 20 mark, the second one emerges from the 'sandwich' dial and continues where the first hand left off.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I saw one on a cruise ship for the normal cruise ship "bargain" (meaning no bargain). It is a cool watch and I like the complication. I'd probably pay $360 for it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have never seen that complication before. It is gimmicky, but it's not boring. As long as $360 isn't a life changing amount of money to you, I'd say go for it. As mentioned above, the fact it is for sale at a significant discount probably means it is not popular and may be difficult to resell, but most of us buy watches to wear and enjoy, not necessarily to hold value and resell.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Thanks for your input!

From this:

(its in German, I know :)) and some other YouTube videos it seems that there are three separate second hands and when, for example, the first hand reaches the 20 mark, the second one emerges from the 'sandwich' dial and continues where the first hand left off.
Thanks for the video! This is a most interesting watch indeed.

With a couple clicks I found this from Worn & Wound:

"At the heart of the PRS 516 Triple Seconds is a modified ETA 2825-2, a movement that itself is a small-seconds variant on the ubiquitous 2824. The 2824 is still the main workhorse of the watch industry, and it provides a solid reliable base on which to build. To create the triple seconds complication, Tissot removed the 2825’s small seconds module and replaced it with a custom unit unique to this watch. It’s nice to see bigger brands offer something a little more at a price point that often skimps on some of the finer details."

My only question is: Will future servicing be as easy as a 2824 overhaul or will a watchmaker bulk at the triple seconds complication?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts