WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of flipping my belowzero and getting a uboat classico 53mm auto cream dial.

Any one own one and do you like it? Also what is that red dot above 6 on the dial, appears to be a jewel from the movement.
Sent from my motorola atrix 4g via tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You should just do a search, there is a lot of threads regarding forum members opinions of the brand, most of with are less than optimal.

·
Banned
626 Posts
My honest and straight opinion, since you are asking for that, is that they are quite terrible. Someone coined the term prol watch in another thread. That would be fitting. No way I'd ever recommend that to a friend or wear one myself. Also, do you have an idea how big a 53mm watch is wearing and how that looks? That's the size of many a fine pocket watch. There was a reason they scaled down the size of wrist watches and didn't just strap pocket watches to the wrists. ;)

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood. I have been able to pull of 50mm no problem. Maybe I should stay away if they are that bad.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
You'd be better off with the BeLOWZERO. I was looking at a U-Boat (before I knew as much about them as I do now) and bought a Hamilton Sunset instead. I never regretted it for even a second.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The large watch trend seems to be going away. A lot of companies are going back to classic looks and more realistic sizes. You might end up with a watch that you won't be able to wear down the road. 53mm is huge for a watch...ridiculously huge.

Besides...as someone pointed out...do a search. Most threads have less than stellar comments about the watches in general.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 50mm Flightdeck Chrono and love it, I haven't had a problem with it in the 2 years I've owned it. I think you either love em or hate em, I think a lot of the negative feedback comes from the earlier models that were quartz not automatic. Anyway at the end of the day if you like it just get it. If we all did what we were told on here we'd all wear Rolexes or Omegas - all in vintage under 40mm sizes. Oh yeah the red dot is a ruby as used in the movement.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think ill delete the brand. I would have to drop 75lbs have gold teeth and change my race and say "yeaaah booking"

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Someone coined the term prol watch in another thread. That would be fitting.
I think that's spelled, "prole." Do proles wear watches? If they do, I doubt they wear watches that retail for thousands of dollars... far too bourgeois.

As to the original post, I like U-Boat's designs quite a bit; although, I've never seen one in person. I far prefer the styling of U-Boat to the Hamilton Below Zero.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,084 Posts
From the many threads on UBoat my conclusion is they are vastly over priced with significant quality control problems and less than optimal customer service If you can get a used one for real cheap then give it a go.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Do proles wear watches? If they do, I doubt they wear watches that retail for thousands of dollars... far too bourgeois.
Huh? I think you have it backwards. :think: A prole would aspire to be bourgeois because that's a step up the social ladder. Your statement makes more sense the other way around: "The middle class wouldn't wear a Uboat.... far too proletarian."

·
Registered
734 Posts
Probably why I like the look so much, I am a proletarian at heart (but in the 70th percentile economically). Been reading the forums on Uboat opinions. Most of what I have found on quality is at least a couple of years old, or people talking about how much it is talked poorly about without ever linking to any of the actual discussions. I really like the looks (and oddly enough so does my wife. We rarely agree on this point) and would love a 45mm model Clasico CAS, but am not willing to pay anything close to retail for it. To me, they are asking too much for what it is.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Find them extremely tacky and overpriced....do yourself a favor and get a preloved Rolex Datejust (vintage) or Omega Speedmaster Professional instead...You will be much happier in the long run!

Cheers Pieter

Reactions: Watchalex

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
The large watch trend seems to be going away. A lot of companies are going back to classic looks and more realistic sizes. You might end up with a watch that you won't be able to wear down the road. 53mm is huge for a watch...ridiculously huge.

Besides...as someone pointed out...do a search. Most threads have less than stellar comments about the watches in general.
Large isn't going away. I bet people have been saying this for years, since dress watches crept up from 26mm and dive watches went to 40mm. The Speedmaster and Monaco and Submariner were huge watches when they came out. How many 1960s contemporaries brush up against 40mm, let alone the 42mm of the Speedmaster?

Sure, there will be a "normalizing", if you will, of these 50+mm watches, but we're not going back to strapping dimes to our wrists.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
I think that's spelled, "prole." Do proles wear watches? If they do, I doubt they wear watches that retail for thousands of dollars... far too bourgeois.
According to author Paul Fussell* there are 3 distinct levels inside the 'Prole' hierarchy: High, Mid, and Low.
Technically, this would be a *HIGH' prole* watch.
Yes, they/we most definitely wear watches, and this would be very highly prized among the more refined among them/us, while the less aesthetically developed would opt for some of the more flashy Invictas.

* - see 'CLASS' : his classic (and hilarious) study of the class system in America.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Overpriced I get, though they seem to have no problem selling them at the price, so for U-Boat I guess they are priced right. Tacky? I guess I disagree there. They don't strike me as kitsch, kitschy, vulgar, crude, garish, gaudy, showy, trashy,cheesy... at least no more than many designs from Rolex, Omega, Tag and the others in the "tasteful" stable. When I think of tacky, I think of over the top decorations: diamond bezels, tiger skin bands, and hyper decorated dials. Watches that try to be classy by shoving their material value in your face. Showy might fit at 53mm but I don't think you can say it for the 45mm. And actually so what if it is showy? Watches are jewelry, there is room for showy. I am wearing an orange dial Moray on an orange Nato while dressed otherwise in all black. so I am trying to be showy. I want the watch to be showy. I want it to pop. Actually screw it. The U-boat Classico is tacky. It is superbly and beautifully tacky. But overpriced.

Find them extremely tacky and overpriced....do yourself a favor and get a preloved Rolex Datejust (vintage) or Omega Speedmaster Professional instead...You will be much happier in the long run!

Cheers Pieter

Reactions: jordanism

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was looking at U-Boat for my next watch.

I changed my mind very quickly after i tried one on. Went with an Oris instead...

But i'm sure there are many people that like them so it's really up to you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.