WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So I am pretty sure I want to jump in a get the CV overseas dual time Gen 3. Its really nice and I feel like a great complement to my collection. In order to really feel good about it, I intend to sell by DJ41 in blue. I am not one to always think of value and certainly not into watches to make money, but in thinking about dumping the DJ, I could not help but think about the future value of the VC.

Currently, I would get rid of the DJ will little to no loss. The VC retails at 22.5k and I can already see the grey market at 19k. Last gen of the watch is sitting at 13k. My assumption is that this will happen to the current gen as well which seems like a really steep drop. I usually buy used on watches that will take that perceptive hit but also cant find a used one. I will say for a watch that has been around for 3 years it is strange not to see used ones and maybe that will speak to future value.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just a note: The new generation of overseas has new in-house movements (I think that includes the dual times), but the MSRP on the Gen 2 was $18,600 I believe.

Looks like the Gen 3 Dual Times are $17-19K used, vs. $22.5k MSRP
Gen 2 is $11-13k used, vs. $18,600 MSRP

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a note: The new generation of overseas has new in-house movements (not sure on the dual time, maybe that's the same movement as Gen 2), but the MSRP on the Gen 2 is $18,600 I believe.
Good call out. That actually does help.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
There are several dual time OS on watchrecon right now. As a multiple gen/piece Overseas owner I think they are a great watch with some definite pro and cons. If you buy used, the resale can work for you, and that would be my recommendation if the value drop concerns you. It may or may not hold like a Rolex DJ, but datejusts are not really rare or in high demand. I wouldnt hesitate too much about selling one.

As far as the VC, I really do recomend the third gen if you can swing the cost. The straps alone make it a very versatile piece, and while it took me a while, the shape profile and dial sizes are a bit nicer than the second gens. Plus the geneva seal and exhibition back make for quite a nice upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Hi All,

So I am pretty sure I want to jump in a get the CV overseas dual time Gen 3. Its really nice and I feel like a great complement to my collection. In order to really feel good about it, I intend to sell by DJ41 in blue. I am not one to always think of value and certainly not into watches to make money, but in thinking about dumping the DJ, I could not help but think about the future value of the VC.

Currently, I would get rid of the DJ will little to no loss. The VC retails at 22.5k and I can already see the grey market at 19k. Last gen of the watch is sitting at 13k. My assumption is that this will happen to the current gen as well which seems like a really steep drop. I usually buy used on watches that will take that perceptive hit but also cant find a used one. I will say for a watch that has been around for 3 years it is strange not to see used ones and maybe that will speak to future value.

Thoughts?
My thought is that - if you're looking at which watch is likely to hold its value better - it's probably going to be the VC.

Why do I make that claim? Well:
1. The grey market is already flooded with DJ, which is to say, a DJ is not a hard watch to get. Even with the current Rolex shortages, that really hasn't changed the availability or price point for DJ on the grey market.
2. The price for steel sports Rolex has risen sharply. The price for steel sports Patek has blown through the bloody roof. The price for steel sports AP has gone up several thousands. Assuming this trend continues, at some point in time, you'll see VC sports models rise in value, because that will be one of the next go-to steel sports watches at the high-end. The operative phrase being, "assuming this trend continues."

Were I a betting man, my money would be on the VC. I can say with total honesty that I regret not jumping on a Patek Aquanaut Travel Time when it could've been had sub $30K a few years back, and is now going in the $70s.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
My thought is that - if you're looking at which watch is likely to hold its value better - it's probably going to be the VC.

Why do I make that claim? Well:
1. The grey market is already flooded with DJ, which is to say, a DJ is not a hard watch to get. Even with the current Rolex shortages, that really hasn't changed the availability or price point for DJ on the grey market.
2. The price for steel sports Rolex has risen sharply. The price for steel sports Patek has blown through the bloody roof. The price for steel sports AP has gone up several thousands. Assuming this trend continues, at some point in time, you'll see VC sports models rise in value, because that will be one of the next go-to steel sports watches at the high-end. The operative phrase being, "assuming this trend continues."

Were I a betting man, my money would be on the VC. I can say with total honesty that I regret not jumping on a Patek Aquanaut Travel Time when it could've been had sub $30K a few years back, and is now going in the $70s.

Regards,
Alysandir
Really like the analysis but completely disagree about the VC future-value. Higher end watches that don't drop in value are a rare exception, and the current Rolex bubble isn't a harbinger of prices for other brands, IMO. VC OS's have always been made in small numbers vs DJ's, but that hasn't kept them from depreciating like most.

I think the VC is a great choice, and it's a good time to dump a DJ to help with the upgrade.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went with heart and just bought it. I got a decent price on new which was enough for me. Right now I can sell the DJ for what I bought it for and I now have an amazing piece.

If I lose some in the long term that’s ok. I was just worried about a huge drop off. Since not a ton of these have actually been sold I have a feeling they may stabilize on the slightly negative side. I doubt it will go up but if I can only lose a couple grand I guess that’s ok. Right now, it’s such a fun piece on the wrist that I don’t think this question will come up for a while.

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well I went with heart and just bought it. I got a decent price on new which was enough for me. Right now I can sell the DJ for what I bought it for and I now have an amazing piece.

If I lose some in the long term that’s ok. I was just worried about a huge drop off. Since not a ton of these have actually been sold I have a feeling they may stabilize on the slightly negative side. I doubt it will go up but if I can only lose a couple grand I guess that’s ok. Right now, it’s such a fun piece on the wrist that I don’t think this question will come up for a while.

Good stuff. How about a wrist shot?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Even at list, the VCO is one of the best value in the hobby at the moment. It's mind blowing that these can be had below list given the hysteria around steel sports watches at the moment. IMO it's a better watch for the 3 hander than a 5711 or 15500; name brand premium aside. I haven't gotten as nerdy about the dual time movement.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Forget the money you may or may not lose. Put a value on the enjoyment you will get from wearing it.

I bet you will come out on top.

Reactions: Jovi

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Congrats! i’d love to hear your thoughts about the Dual Time. I was going to wait and see if they produced the Everest version of that watch, but then the opportunity presented itself to grab a World Time.

Let’s turn this into the Overseas show off thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats! i’d love to hear your thoughts about the Dual Time. I was going to wait and see if they produced the Everest version of that watch, but then the opportunity presented itself to grab a World Time.

Let’s turn this into the Overseas show off thread.
That is an amaZing watch. Congrats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats on the new piece! Have the same one with the same color variant - greatest blue dial I have seen (even compared to fpj cb).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts