WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Or you could be an adult post the reply to better the community and clear up misinformation.

As far as being "in the USA but not really"....based off his Reddit AMA:
"We are manufacturing the CAL 1003 movement in our LA studio, and the majority of the components are machined at our facility. We manufacture the balance wheel and escapement. They are currently designed by us and we subcontract the cutting locally. We will soon be adding a new machine to aid in this process. I never want to be dependent on just one machine or just one supplier. That way we have a more dependable supply chain and have multiple vendor options to go to if we need it. The escapement includes jewels, and we currently do not manufacture those, or the hairspring"

"We've had an open line of communication with the FTC during the planning stages of the new CAL 1003 movement to make sure we satisfied the claim for USA made. In speaking with the FTC they shared with us how important it is for the public to feel confident about whether or not the product you are making is properly represented. The FTC feels the new CAL 1003 is accurately labeled and the reason we are manufacturing it the way we are is because of their direct feedback. The Made in USA label is important to me. It is the strongest origin claim for any product globally. Weiss is one of the few American watch companies out there and the basis behind our development and growth is to make products here in the United States and use the USA made label within our industry. We're making great progress."

When asked about the infamous FTC letter:
"The FTC issues letters only after there is an investigation. With the new CAL 1003 we have proactively engaged the FTC to ensure transparency and compliance in regards to labeling and marketing of our new timepiece. The Swiss content in our CAL 1003 movement is considered negligible by FTC standards and is virtually all USA made, which allows us to use the USA made label."

My takeaways with dealing with his company are that his wife was a pleasure to work with, he was very responsive to questions, and they followed through with their promises. The entire process was a pleasure. The watch itself has been wonderful and like I said, consistent with expectations of watches in that price range. Honestly, I'd love a list of what is made in house, what is contracted out, and what is sourced from overseas. As far as I can tell they used to supply that information so it would only help in threads like these. Hopefully the company starts publishing more content on the matter if for any other reason than it's interesting.
Thank you for taking the time to put this post together.
As you said, for a watch enthusiast (particularly one who lives in LA) this is just plain interesting ... for all the thousands of threads on WUS, I find it disheartening that there is so little interest in Cameron Weiss and his Cal 1003 movement, not to mention his other excellent and (relatively) affordable Swiss-powered watches.
And yes, Whitney is great ... I emailed after ordering the Cal 1005 to change my strap choice, and she actually called me back and we had a nice chat.
Great company, great watch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my latte dial. It's easily one of my favorite watches.....both because it's beautiful and versatile but also because it irks watch snobs. It is worth every penny IMO.

Mine is a little less than 2 seconds slow. The wind has one of the more satisfying feedbacks of any of any of my hand crankers. The escapement has a subtle but absolutely wonderful sound when it's quiet enough to catch it. Reviews say the AR is an issue but I haven't noticed. It's insanely legible and the skeleton hands have a black chrome look to them that's mesmerising. It could use a little more chamfering on the lug edges but the cut lugs also add to the look so I'm indifferent. To be fair, the fine details are on par with other watches in this price range.

I'll definitely add another dial color at some point soon.

Completely agree, little more chamfering would definitely add to the comfort. Especially when i pick up my kids and whatnot. Otherwise I’m obsessed with my Weiss as well.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Completely agree, little more chamfering would definitely add to the comfort. Especially when i pick up my kids and whatnot. Otherwise I’m obsessed with my Weiss as well.
Great to hear--i'm considering replacing my seiko for one of these. Are the watches fairly sturdy?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
27 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will be purchasing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve been waiting on a 1003 cal movement and couldn’t be happier. I’m a proud veteran and I love telling the American made story when asked about the watch.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Interesting, is that an older model? I don't recall seeing one with that dial font and those type of hands. Looks very sharp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great to hear--i'm considering replacing my seiko for one of these. Are the watches fairly sturdy?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I haven't had any problems. Then again, I don't slam my watches into every surface in eyesight like a lot of people do so time will tell

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks like Weiss has new dial designs for their Swiss-movement watches with lume on the dial (finally!), but they've taken off any mention of Los Angeles (arggh!!!).

Weiss has been on my radar for years, but there's no way I'd buy a watch with one of these new generic dials.

Weiss Watch Company - Timepieces Straps and Tools

Bring back Los Angeles!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like Weiss has new dial designs for their Swiss-movement watches with lume on the dial (finally!), but they've taken off any mention of Los Angeles (arggh!!!).

Weiss has been on my radar for years, but there's no way I'd buy a watch with one of these new generic dials.

Weiss Watch Company - Timepieces Straps and Tools

Bring back Los Angeles!
I agree. I wore mine tonight and that's an endearing part of the dial. I wonder if they have plans to move the business?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I recently bought one of the 42mm Standard Issue Field Watches to review, and I am very impressed by the quality and finishing. I'm sad to see 'Los Angeles' leave the dial as well. I think it added a lot of character. And I might prefer the minute/seconds track on this one over the new dial. I can't argue with the new lume layout on the new dials though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I own one of the blue-dialed 38mm Standard Field Watches from Weiss and noticed in late September that the website had been redone and that new watches had Los Angeles, CA removed from the dial. I reached out to Weiss Watch and Whitney very quickly and kindly wrote back to me to let me know that the shade of blue was changed on the new dials, lume was placed onto the new dials and Los Angeles, CA was also removed. She stated that the removal of Los Angeles, CA was due to the fact that the company was building/opening a second workshop in Nashville and that they were now using parts produced in four different states. I was saddened to see the branding change, but the watch that I own is terrific.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the new dial and lume but kinda prefer the old dial and minimal hands only lume. Have fallen asleep with it and had no problems reading the time with groggy eyes. I have other watches with lume on dial so always thought this one was unique in my collection. NIce to see they're building a second workshop and that the business is growing. Wish I could wear 42mm watches as I'd love one of their Cal 1003 movements.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts