WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I originally posted this on the Pilot / Military forum, but thought I'd post this here as well. I've been in the market to get a pilot / mil watch and had been looking at getting another Maratac SR-1 (regretted selling mine the minute it left), or a Maratac 2012 Pilot (looking at both large and mid-sized version), and then this new offering from Worn & Wound / AVI-8 hit my email. Really dig the looks of it as well as the extra straps, just not sure of the $399 price tag; seems a bit steep to me. I was hoping to get your opinions; hopefully you guys can shed some light and let me know if this is a good deal, or should I just stick with the original plan of going with one of the Maratacs. Here's the link to the WAND1:

AVI-8 x worn&wound - WANDW1 Collaboration | worn&wound shop

Thanks in advance for any help / feedback as I'm really unsure which one to get.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Dreadful handset, imo. As in, very disproportionate and "accidental"-looking.

Otherwise... Eh. Pricy. 400 bucks for an 82xx miyota movement is a bit bad, and the only-50-meter WR is a bit weak, but it does have domed sapphire and a two-finish case. And you do end up paying for a design, so it sort of evens out, I think. If you love how it looks, get it. Worst case scenario, flip on the sale subforum for minor loss if it doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys; didn't see the original thread so this helps. I like the design, but am not sure that I like it enough to part with $400 for it. With that being said, I'm leaning towards the 2012 Maratac Mid Pilot, but it seems that it's gone up in price (it's now $279, whereas the large is only $239). Wish I would have jumped on one when they were sub-$200.

Sent from a van down by the river...

·
Registered
185 Posts
2012 mid pilot is $209 right now.

I really want to pick up the AVI-8 just because the case size is perfect for me.. But yeah it's just a bit much.

I wonder if the price will drop, they hyped it like it would be a quick sellout but I still see them available.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
2012 mid pilot is $209 right now.

I really want to pick up the AVI-8 just because the case size is perfect for me.. But yeah it's just a bit much.

I wonder if the price will drop, they hyped it like it would be a quick sellout but I still see them available.
DUDE!!!! Thanks man.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I really like the styling on the W&W. I love the handset... unique.

Hard to beat the value of the maratac, but I like the W&W possible a bit better, design wise... and you do get much more in the package than you do with the maratac.

·
Registered
864 Posts
That handset is a love it or hate it, personally I don't really like that square hours hand, if it where a sword it'd be so nice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't get all the hate on this watch. Obviously some will like the design and some won't. I think it looks great, at least it is an interesting and unique design. There are plenty of other micros charging ~$400 for Miyota movements. Plus this watch comes with a quality leather band that retails for $65 and a second NATO of maratec quality which is another $20, so the real price difference to the Maratec is actually pretty minor (for the $279 price). This one seems more versatile as I think the maratec doesn't look great on leather and especially not on brown leather, its a NATO only watch. This one looks great on that horween strap. I'm not in the market for a casual/military right now but if someone offered to trade straight up for my Hamilton Khaki I'd strongly consider it.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't get all the hate on this watch. Obviously some will like the design and some won't. I think it looks great, at least it is an interesting and unique design. There are plenty of other micros charging ~$400 for Miyota movements. Plus this watch comes with a quality leather band that retails for $65 and a second NATO of maratec quality which is another $20, so the real price difference to the Maratec is actually pretty minor (for the $279 price). This one seems more versatile as I think the maratec doesn't look great on leather and especially not on brown leather, its a NATO only watch. This one looks great on that horween strap. I'm not in the market for a casual/military right now but if someone offered to trade straight up for my Hamilton Khaki I'd strongly consider it.
I echo your sentiments and really like the looks of this watch. The only reason I went for the Maratac Mid-Pilot is because of funds; if I had the extra money, I'd definitely pick one up. Hope to see some real world pictures of this model from people who purchased one.

Sent from a van down by the river...

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
From the first glance it looks very nice, but the comment on the hands earlier is spot on; don't quite look right, looks like the hour hand end got chopped off......

......apart from that and the price it's OK.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There's plenty of watches out there with sword hands. This one is unique in part due to the handset. Only thing I can think of is that it reminds me of my autozilla which is one of my favorite watches of all time.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Thoughts On Worn & Wound / AVI-8 WANDW1?

I like the hands and everything else seems to flow nicely design wise. I had the Maratec pilot and would have bought this over that . Price is a little high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts