WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's my thousandth post! I took my time getting to one thousand, but it was worth it. A huge thank you to Ernie, the admins, the mods, and all you guys here! It's been incredibly interesting, amusing, and informative. I don't have anything to give away, so I figured I'd go over the state of the collection. Looking back, my interests and knowledge have changed a lot, but my tastes don't seem to have changed much; the watches which sang to me at the beginning still sing to me. I've been incredibly fortunate to acquire a few of them. I'm very happy with the sports watch side of my watch collection right now.

As some of you know, I much prefer a destro crown orientation: I'll mess with the crown a couple of times a week; whereas the crown digging in my hand is hundreds if not thousands of times a week. For me it makes no sense to optimize for the uncommon case.

Apart from my Nomos and EZM1, all of my watches have been converted to destro. For the dateless Corvus Bradley and MKII Blackwater, it's a pretty simple operation, since the ETA 28xx dial pins are oriented symmetrically around the center; you rotate the dial 180 degrees and realign the hands and Bob's your uncle. For the watches with dates it is slightly trickier since this leaves the date aperture mis-aligned with the date wheel with its odd number of dates.

The Nomos was the first watch in my collection, and although we had a rough start, it is the slimmest, most elegant watch I have. The symmetry between the large dial and the small seconds dial, the perfectly applied indices, the proportional hands, and the smooth curves of the case make for a great dress watch.

The Corvus Bradley was the next watch in the collection. The hardened case, the classic dial and hands, and the sapphire bezel all make this watch a true modern classic. Destro was done at the factory. The bezel action is superb and the size of the watch is perfect, not too small and not too big, although I would like it if the lugs were 2mm shorter overall and it were 1mm thinner.

Next was the hidden classic MKII Blackwater Type 1. This was a no date like the Corvus. Due to the age, I had it over-hauled and destroized at the Tick Tock Shop in Santa Clara. The smooth contours of this watch make for a super slim profile and it's perfect on a Zulu.

Next was the classic Omega Seamaster GMT "Great White". The Great White has been a long time interest of mine, gorgeous dial, with the most elegant Seamaster case, thin, brushed, lyre lugs, and without that stupid HEV valve. I first had a watchmaker do the conversion by having a dial-maker hand paint a destro date dial on standard one. It took a while to get the watch done, but it worked well. This dressy watch seems to work best on a leather strap. If I could change one thing about this watch, it would be the bezel. The action is smooth but "tinny" and nowhere near as solid as the Corvus or EZM1. A bezel out of solid metal with inlaid numbers and possibly 24 clicks would make it perfect.

While trying to destro-ize the Great White, my long-term grail search for an EZM1 yielded fruit and I managed to transfer one from a fellow watchuseek member. The EZM1 has been on my wrist pretty much everyday since I got it; I went from the bracelet, to a 5-ring zulu to the current factory rubber. The absolutely minimal dial and hands, the light Ti case, the destro controls, and the perfectly fitted rubber strap with long Ti deployant make this watch the perfect casual sports watch.

Most recent addition is the classic IWC 3536-01 GST in titanium. (Yes, I admit to a slight titanium fixation.) The IWC's calibre uses the same date wheels as the ETA28xx. Having found a source for destro date dials I was able to send them to Al of Archer watches who did an overhaul and destro switch of the IWC and replaced the date dial on the Omega GMT. I kinda miss the silver base of the hand-painted destro dial in the Omega but the new one is better in every other aspect.

The IWC is the perfect dressy dive watch, in between the dressy style of the Omega and the no-nonsense style of the Sinn. Although large for its time, now it's probably considered mid-sized. The Ti case makes for a moderate weight, in between the steel Omega and the titanium Sinn. When Al tested the WR of the cases, he used a machine which relies on measuring case flex to determine the water resistance. Interestingly, the case of the GST is so stiff that the machine displayed "Big leak or not compressible watch", evidently you don't get a 2000m rating in a 41.3mm x 14.7mm case (bezel is 42mm) for nothing. The bezel moves unidirectionally only when pressed down symmetrically. The 60-click action is positive and extremely accurate.

Here's my current collection. Aside from the Nomos, it is all sports watches. I'm not much into fancy or complicated watches. I need a silver/white dialed bezel-free watch (Stowa Marine or upcoming Stowa cream dialed Partitio?), a flieger (IWC, Stowa, or Speedbird?), and perhaps a blue dialed sports watch (sunburst blue dial?). I'm not sure if the Corvus is going to stay as it hasn't gotten any wrist time in a long while; although I love the watch, the lugs are just a bit too long.

Thanks for reading my rambling and putting up with my lame photography. Thanks for my last thousand posts and the many thousands of posts I've enjoyed; here's looking forward to the next thousand.

P.S. Deliberately, there are exactly one thousand words in this post.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
That is one fine collection.

Wear them in good health and may your next thousand be as fun and informative as last thousand.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Beautiful collection! Thoroughly enjoyed reading about and viewing it.. Thank you for sharing it with us.

-Max

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
NICE collection! You really have it covered. There are are three in that bunch I covet. Particularly the EZM1.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Very nice. Congratulations on the 1000th post and on the great collection. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Congratulations on Post 1000, Enkidu. And thanks for showing us your fine collection.

Best wishes,
Steve

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great comments and likes, guys! It's been a great journey so far, and a real pleasure to participate here. I'm open to questions, suggestions, critiques, and comments!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You have a clear sense of what you like. Personally I'd add a couple chronos and a pilot or two, but that's me. Your choice of an EZM1 as your choice of chrono illuminates your taste for clean uncluttered dials. I like that.

I'm a tool watch guy in your vein. Sophisticated tool watches.

Ideas are one dress watch (Nomos Orion), divers, pilots, chronos, a complication or two (SMP GMT) and at least one beater you won't mind trashing if it came to it.

A Speedie (Lemania based) or a 7750-something (Sinn 757 UTC?) would extend what you have nicely and remain well curated.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
enkidu nice collection. I have a favour to ask you though. How big is your wrist? Do you have a wrist shot with your Nomos Orion? Really curious to see

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Great collection! Your destro-ization of the watches is fascinating. Wear them in good health.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice collection! I think the "face-flipping" if I may call it that, is really neat! I'd like to see it get done to a skeleton haha!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have a clear sense of what you like. Personally I'd add a couple chronos and a pilot or two, but that's me. Your choice of an EZM1 as your choice of chrono illuminates your taste for clean uncluttered dials. I like that.

I'm a tool watch guy in your vein. Sophisticated tool watches.

Ideas are one dress watch (Nomos Orion), divers, pilots, chronos, a complication or two (SMP GMT) and at least one beater you won't mind trashing if it came to it.

A Speedie (Lemania based) or a 7750-something (Sinn 757 UTC?) would extend what you have nicely and remain well curated.
Thanks marchone! Definitely thinking about something 7750 related, but destro-izing chronos is considerably more involved. It would be super cool to get a custom dial for a Schauer Quarada as my complicated, fancy chrono. I sometimes feel guilty about it, but I don't baby any of my watches; I think my Blackwater has seen the hardest use followed closely by my EZM1.
enkidu nice collection. I have a favour to ask you though. How big is your wrist? Do you have a wrist shot with your Nomos Orion? Really curious to see.
Thanks Charlie! My pleasure. My wrist size is approximately 175mm/6.75" and about 63mm/2.5" across. Here's a wrist shot I had around. The long sweeping lugs of the Orion and all dial case makes it wear sufficiently large. Except for the IWC, the dial size on all my watches are very comparable.

Reactions: charlieboy89

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the great review of your collection and congrats on the milestone.
Off the top of my head, I can think of a really nice Guinand chrono that is already set up the way you'd like: GUINAND - 20.50-05LL
They may have other destro models but I'm not sure.
[pic from Guinand website] 20.50-05LL_01.png

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the great review of your collection and congrats on the milestone.
Off the top of my head, I can think of a really nice Guinand chrono that is already set up the way you'd like: GUINAND - 20.50-05LL
They may have other destro models but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the great comments guys! Nice find, pdphoto! It's definitely much more economical than the Kobold Black Ops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts