WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is sooo 70's!...

For awhile I've been wanting to photograph these 3 beauties (or hideous behemoths, depending upon your taste) side by side, and I finally got around to it. The impetus for the pic was that I got the hands and crystals replaced on the outer two watches -- the cal 1511 (left) and 1510 (right).

The full beauty of the cal 1510's sparkling blue aventurine dial is difficult for me to capture in a photo. The dial ("Constellation") really is reminiscent of a country sky on a clear night -- at least, as I've seen the sky in rural areas. After 30 years, though, the sky (dial) was looking pretty cloudy -- that is, the dial had developed a sort of haze on parts of it. So I had it cleaned and had the scratched hands and scratched crystal replaced too. The dial printing is pretty fragile; you can see that the tip of the "41" minute marker is missing, and the top of the "E" in "Omega" is also partially gone. Otherwise it looks fantastic now (I won't say it looks "stellar," because that'd be making a bad joke worse . . . but you get the idea).

One thing I'm wondering about, though . . . the slivers of luminous material on the new cal 1511 (Marine Chronometer) hour and minute hands actually do glow in the dark. How can this be? I figure these are all NOS parts from the mid-1970's, right? So wasn't that before superluminova existed? Wasn't tritium the luminous material of choice at that point? If so, wouldn't the luminosity have stopped long ago? Something's wrong with my assumptions here, but I don't know what.

Happy New Year to all, too!

·
Registered
638 Posts
It may be sooo 70's, but that is a fabulous group of watches. Man, I am drooling over them!! The Marine Chronometer seems to jump out of the picture. The Electroquartz is a real beauty. The 1510 is no slouch either.

And not to mention the other two OMCs you have. And who knows what else??

What about timekeeping? Have you check the accuracy of these watches over time? If so, give us the results so we can compare.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
The Marine Chronometer has tritium so it´s great that it still has luminous hands.
Three beauties for sure. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It may be sooo 70's, but that is a fabulous group of watches. Man, I am drooling over them!! The Marine Chronometer seems to jump out of the picture. The Electroquartz is a real beauty. The 1510 is no slouch either.

And not to mention the other two OMCs you have. And who knows what else??

What about timekeeping? Have you check the accuracy of these watches over time? If so, give us the results so we can compare.
Thanks for the kind words. Re accuracy, I'm playing with the timekeeping -- no equipment here, so I use the "brute force" method over time. In the past, though, the Electroquartz has proven to be the most stable over time (I think it was spot-on after 2-3 months, from what I recall). The cal. 1510 and 1511 (Marine Chronometer) jump from 1 second to the next, whereas the Electroquartz appears to sweep much more. So, slight inaccuracies with the cal 1511/1511 are more apparent than they are w/the Electroquartz, because on the former models you can very easily see the second hand jump slightly early or late, if that makes sense, whereas these differentials are more subtle when the second hand "sweeps." [You can also HEAR the 1510/1511/1516 second-hand jump -- Omega Marine Chronometers and their brethren have a VERY loud tick!]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts