WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know of any high-end dressy chrono with a 12-hour counter or some way of tracking the hours?

Most three-register chronos seem to be more sporty in appearance (e.g., dive chronos, automotive chronos like the Heuer Carrera/Autavia lines, or aviation chronos like the Breguet Type XX).

The big high-end brands make a variety of gorgeous dress chronos (e.g., Vacheron Cornes de Vache, Patek 5170) but that have only two registers and can only count up to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you take the definition of a dress watch, which should be watch without any complication, you will understand that your (and any similar) question makes no sense. In late '40 beginning '50, sport watch was like today "dressy". Change of a look and purpose of a sport watch should not mean that chronograph could be dressier or dress. Today this watches should deserve some new name, category.

"Dressy sport"? Dressport? Theater-sport watch? Operadiver? Perhaps :):):)

Just example, not what you mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Do you guys know of any high-end dressy chrono with a 12-hour counter or some way of tracking the hours?

Most three-register chronos seem to be more sporty in appearance (e.g., dive chronos, automotive chronos like the Heuer Carrera/Autavia lines, or aviation chronos like the Breguet Type XX).

The big high-end brands make a variety of gorgeous dress chronos (e.g., Vacheron Cornes de Vache, Patek 5170) but that have only two registers and can only count up to 30 minutes.
You don't get much dressier than the JLC Duometre. Not exactly the layout you where looking for. Blue Steel hands represent the Chrono functions. Hours and Minutes being on the 3:00 sub-dial. Also records 1/6 seconds at 6:00 sub-dial. Split second center.

Absolutely stunning complication. There are several variations, all precious metal.

dac2.jpg

Jaeger-LeCoultre-Duometre-chronograph-watch-25.jpg

Jaeger-LeCoultre-Duometre-chronograph-watch-19.jpg

jlc_image.3802263.jpg

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What about two subdial but no running seconds like the Blancpain Villerey? What constitutes dress to you... the VC Overseas?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about two subdial but no running seconds like the Blancpain Villerey? What constitutes dress to you... the VC Overseas?
Good point, I'd be interested in anything with an hours subdial, so I'm fine with no running seconds.

The Overseas is more "sport" watch in my mind because that's how the category is branded, and it tends to be worn on a bracelet rather than strap.

I take the point that a dress watch is, to some extent, a watch without complications, so there's no such thing as a dress chronograph. But there is definitely a pronounced stylistic difference between the Vacheron Historiques Cornes de Vache and an Overseas chronograph. I'd say the minimum features for a dress watch are: (1) no rotating bezel; (2) no steel bracelet, or at least default leather strap; (3) relatively plain hour markers or Breguet numerals that are more characteristic of a dress watch; (4) probably no lume, although there are watches on the borderline like the Patek 5172.

To boil it down, I just wish the Vacheron Historiques Cornes de Vache came with a 12-hour counter and am trying to figure out whether there's anything like that on the market.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Very interesting... I hadn’t really realized the dearth which is dressy chronographs with an hour totalizer. I’m going to have to ponder this one for some time. There has to be something out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
Czapek Faubourg de Cracovie enamel dial?

czapek.jpg

They also make more sporty versions.

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
Chopard LUC Chrono?

chopard chrono.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
GO Senator Chrono?

GO_senator_chrono.jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just realized that Piaget has an altiplano with flyback chronograph.

Piaget-Altiplano-Chronograph-Ultra-Thin-2015-aBlogtoWatch-7.jpg

Also, Breguet should have a chronograph with hour register in their current heritage line (sort of tonneau shape), and in their previous collections I believe there was a round shaped case with one too, but I can't remember the reference.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Girard Perregaux 4930- Gold, in-house movement, 36mm, 12 hour counter at 6 o'clock:

Attachments

Reactions: gouverneur

·
Registered
914 Posts
Also, the Heuer Carrera re-edition in gold is pretty dressy and has a 12 hour counter:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Girard Perregaux 4930- Gold, in-house movement, 36mm, 12 hour counter at 6 o'clock:
Stunner, this may be the new leader in my mind! My only complaint is that date window at 4 o'clock, but nothing's perfect in this world.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts