WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum. A friend recently got me jazzed about getting a Casio G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar(GW-700BDJ), which our local Costco has. It's a beautiful watch; more importantly, getting jazzed about it awakened a passion that I've had for quality watches since I was a kid.

Anyway, enough of that boring stuff...I find myself now looking at diver watches(not a diver; just love the looks of the precision machined beefiness!), and have been reading the postings here about the Seiko Samurai series, as well as the Citizen Promasters and Air Divers. I've read enough about the Sammy series to know that it has a loyal following. I've been on Higuchi's site, and found this Air Diver, http://www.higuchi-inc.com/56-2811.html, but haven't seen any postings about it.

Does anyone here have this Air Diver, in either color? And could anyone here share any comments about this watch, compared with the Ti Samurai?

Thanks, very much, in advance!

:-!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You need to decide if you prefer an automatic movement or a quartz movement. The basic differences are accuracy & the movement of the second hand. The Citizen is an Eco Drive (charges with light/no need to change the battery) while the Samurai is an automatic (power for the movement comes from you moving the watch as you wear it). The Citizen will run fairly accurately (typically in the order of ~15 seconds a month, but most do much better) & will continue to run whether you wear it or not; so long as it is exposed to light, it will keep right on running. The second hand moves in discreet 1 second movements. The Seiko will typically only run ~2 days or less if it is not worn & is less accurate (if the watch is regulated, it can be on the order of +/- 2-10 seconds per day). The second hand on an automatic runs smoothly with no jerky movements. Style is strictly your choice beyond that. Good luck making a choice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They're very different watches; as Snowback said, the movements are of vastly disparate technologies. I think the Samurai has a more unique look to it. Personally I prefer the 2812 Air Diver to the 2811; I just think the other one has too many numbers on it, between the dial and the bezel.

Another thing to consider is that this Citizen is a Duratect model, meaning it's going to be significantly more resistant to scratches than the Samurai. I own a Ti Samurai and a Duratect Citizen (not the Air Diver), and there definitely is a difference.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help and good advice. 'Sorry for asking you to compare apples to oranges...I know I'm a noob, but...yeesh. :oops:

I agree that the Samurai does have a more unique look, and I find myself looking at it, again and again, from the different angles of the pics that the good folks here have posted for our enjoyment. The Samurai is such a beautiful watch, and every part of it is real eye candy. B-)

The Air Diver 2812 is also a beautiful watch, though, perhaps not quite as distinctive as the Samurai. I'm drawn to its clean, uncluttered look...and the Duratect finish is a really nice feature.

To be honest, I could go either way, quartz or auto. I have a 20 yr old ss Rolex Datejust that my wife gave me on our wedding day. It's auto, has that nice smooth second hand movement, and, yes, it does lose at least a few seconds every day...but it's served me well, has been bullet proof, and I still get a kick out of looking at it. I've also owned a bunch of $25-$50 Timex Expeditions and Casios, all quartz, all totally reliable, and very accurate. Both types of movements seem to have their strengths and tradeoffs...I'm happy with either.

I'm leaning toward the Ti Samurai, but would still love to hear from anyone here with experience with either the 2811 or 2812...likes, dislikes....thanks, ahead of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts