WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
They would probably put a premium of a couple of K's over the MSRP of a 114060 or 116610.
If that would be reasonable or not, I don't know. In any case, I don't think they would ever produce one anyway because it would compete, price wise, with the Sea Dweller 4000. On top of that, Rolex already makes a diver's watch in titanium and that's the Tudor Pelagos.

Reactions: NathanielGoodtimes

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
I would still love to see a ti sub.
If Santa is already reading letters, I would say a ss pepsi GMT Master II would suit me very well... :D
(I know too that won't arrive either...)

Reactions: exxtinguishable

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tudor already covered this slot perfectly with the Pelagos, a great purpose built dive/ tool watch. It's truly a large bang for your buck piece that was built to work. With this in mind, I don't think we're going to see a Ti Rolex Sub in the near future. Cheers

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Do other brands charge a meaningful premium for titanium? It seems more like a fun option than an expensive feature. But, yeah, the sub is only 40mm and it's not very thick -- there's not a lot to be gained with a titanium version.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Do other brands charge a meaningful premium for titanium?
Not always....Tempest titanium Commodore is less expensive than their steel Viking with the same movement.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If Rolex made a Ti sub the reasonable price would probably be 1/3 of what they would ask for it. Of course it would be a special alloy bespoke for Rolex and made in their own Ti foundry or something along those lines. A year later Omega would raise the price on the Ti PO to establish it as a competitor lol.

$10k sounds about right.

NM.

·
Sponsor
11,948 Posts
A Ti Submariner would be interesting. Make it dark enough so it addresses all of those terrible (IMO) PVD coated Subs.

That said, Ti is indeed incredibly light. I just handled a big Ti "Chuck Maddox" SMP Chrono and man, I think the only weight I was feeling was that of the movement inside.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Not always....Tempest titanium Commodore is less expensive than their steel Viking with the same movement.

I think that has something to do with the 2000m depth rating on the Viking vs the 500m on the Commodore. Not with movement or case material.

In raw materials Titanium is about 5x more expensive per unit mass than SS. But on the watchmaking scale that is like tens of dollars more. Other things go into the cost though, like the ease/ availability of craftsman that work in the material.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As others have already pointed out, there is no need for a titanium submariner, they already covered that base with the Tudor Pelagos, which is a very popular model. Why have your own models competing against each other?

Rolex is not a company that follows the crowd, it does its own thing, and does it well. While everyone else is releasing titanium versions, Rolex will keep the sub stainless steel, and the steel that Rolex use is better than any titanium, so why bother?

I hope we never see a titanium Submariner.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Why would they go that route? First off, my sub is thinner and lighter than some of my dressy/dress watch. The Ti version wouldn't help much there, they also have the 904L thing going on with their marketing department although part of the Deepsea was titanium if I am not mistaken.

Remember this, Rolex removed the beloved chamfer edge on their new super case for easier polishing, I don't think they will make it harder for themselves again by going to Ti.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
As others have already pointed out, there is no need for a titanium submariner, they already covered that base with the Tudor Pelagos, which is a very popular model. Why have your own models competing against each other?

Rolex is not a company that follows the crowd, it does its own thing, and does it well. While everyone else is releasing titanium versions, Rolex will keep the sub stainless steel, and the steel that Rolex use is better than any titanium, so why bother?

I hope we never see a titanium Submariner.
Titanium is completely inert while SS still rusts and oxidized. Even if the 904L is more resistant than 316, it'll still rust given enough sweat and salt water. Also, Ti alloy can be treated to be every bit as hard as SS while still being much lighter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts