WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have never been able to get tide readings that make sense from a Casio watch. I have tried everything (probably spent about 10 hours over the last 2 years). Tried all kinds of lunitidal intervals, followed Sjors guide, everything. It's never upset me until now since I never went near the beach :)

Anyway ... It's now dawned on me that my location generally has 1 low tide and 1 high tide per 24 hours (Perth, Western Australia) and then an extra tide every few days ... Online somewhere I read that some locations on Earth have this, rather than the normal 2 high and 2 low per day.

BUT, the Casio tide graphs always seem to show 2 high tides per day. :-s

Does this mean Casio tide graphs will never work for me? Very frustrating since I have an incoming Orange 9100 because I have taken up snorkelling and swimming in the ocean. I would love to be able to know what mornings are high-tide for snorkelling, rather than checking the internet. :-(

Any feedback appreciated! |> (I'm currently using my G-7900 which I assume is identical to Gulfman as far as tide-graph goes.)

Thanks,
Gray.

EDIT: Strange that I haven't read this mentioned anywhere on the forums / net, or even the manual for the watch. The manual seems to imply that the tide graph will work for any location on the globe. :(

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,586 Posts
I looked at the Perth. It is indeed a strange Tidegraph. I haven't seen this kind of graph before.

There is only one cycle per 24 hour. I have no clue what causes this. Also the tides are not very high. Where I live the difference between high and low tide can add up to over 4 meters (in France even up to over 10 meter).

Here is the graph of Vlissingen (5 km from my house)

According this figure, you might expect the double tide cycle per day.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply and efforts, Sjors!

It looks like I will have to accept, that no Casio watch is going to be able to show me the local tide :( Very sad news for me.
But I will still wear my Gulfman into the ocean :)

Strange that nothing is written in the manuals about this. I'm sure Perth isn't the only place in the world to have these kind of tides.

EDIT: But as you say Sjors, the tide height is very small here, so maybe it doesn't matter anyway!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wiki:

"Tides are most commonly semidiurnal (two high waters and two low waters each day), or diurnal (one tidal cycle per day)." - Wiki

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

(Map from 8(r) Ocean Tides)

I found this map with the distribution of diurnal, semidiurnal and mixed tides.

/ martin
To add to this, some areas near (or not so near) to these borders shown on the diagram can vary depending on time of year and the moon cycle. For instance, Hong Kong (as according to this map) is sometimes semi-diurnal, but sometimes (as right now) can be mixed-tide. Last month, it was a 2 times a day equal (+25 min or so) high/low. This is what it was today...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent info, thanks to all who have posted.

So in summary if anybody is searching about this problem in the future, the answer seems to be -- if you live in a Diurnal part of the globe, you're not going to be able to use the tide graph. And if you live in semi-diurnal, I guess it will work some of the time <shrugs>.

Thanks for helping me confirm this!

Gray.
PS. Does anybody know of a non-G wristwatch which has proper tide graphing? That I could set to work for my diurnal location?

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,872 Posts
Hello G-Shockers,

If this looks like a drive by contribution, I guess it is. :) There seem to be a number of "tide oriented" makers out there. But Gray OZ has a home port advantage in one brand...Rip Curl.. they have the tide situation sussed out for more then 200 surf beaches around OZ and I suspect most other surfing breaks around the world. So to the point, here is a link to the instruction manual for one of the models on sale and it lists the preset beaches on the last pages of the .pdf. I reckon they have to have calculated the diurnal tides as they effect a good stretch of the WA coast line facing the Indian Ocean.
Lastly I have no idea if the watches with the required functionality are within your price range Gray OZ but here's hoping. |> |>