WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tiffany pocket watch in 18k gold. It runs well and is in great condition. It has an open face, and a double cover on the back. It also has a stopwatch feature. The face and movement are both marked Tiffany and Co.. The case has British gold hallmarks that include a stylized "O" but the case itself is not marked Tiffany. Both the movement and the case are marked with serial number 6220. Can anyone tell me about this pocket watch? When was it made? Is it at all unusual for a Tiffany pocket watch? Who made the movement? Any info about this pocket watch would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.

tiffany pocket watch 3.jpg tiffany pocket watch 4.jpg tiffany pocket watch 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have a Tiffany pocket watch in 18k gold. It runs well and is in great condition. It has an open face, and a double cover on the back. It also has a stopwatch feature. The face and movement are both marked Tiffany and Co.. The case has British gold hallmarks that include a stylized "O" but the case itself is not marked Tiffany. Both the movement and the case are marked with serial number 6220. Can anyone tell me about this pocket watch? When was it made? Is it at all unusual for a Tiffany pocket watch? Who made the movement? Any info about this pocket watch would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.

This is a very good watch indeed.

The London hallmark dates the watch to 1929.

It is of English 3/4 plate style with typical English transverse lever escapement with
escape wheel and lever mounted on the same bridge.

Does it have ratchet (pointy) or clubtooth escape wheel teeth?

It has cap stones to escape wheel and lever pivots (highly jewelled)
Typical English gold, fire gilt frosted plates, typical English style engraving too.

It is very late for a high grade English watch and is very interesting with the patented
chrono arrangement.

Made by a high class watchmaker for Tiffany, possibly using a Swiss ebauche in the
English style.
lovely watch.

Edit

Bit of a conundrum this watch concerning the date, I'm now thinking it could be earlier
1869 would match the date letter too, but stem wound and a proper chronograph? i.e this chronograph
doesn't just stop the balance as in early English so called chronographs.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The hallmarking is a bit confusing to me...Tiffany had their own watch facility, and tended to make their own cases in their New York facility, so I'm not sure why they'd be importing a UK case?

This page suggests that they started making "stop watches" in 1868, and didn't open their swiss factory until 1874, so if the date IS 1869, this could potentially be a very very early example.
History of Swiss Luxury Watches | Tiffany & Co.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The hallmarking is a bit confusing to me...Tiffany had their own watch facility, and tended to make their own cases in their New York facility, so I'm not sure why they'd be importing a UK case?

This page suggests that they started making "stop watches" in 1868, and didn't open their swiss factory until 1874, so if the date IS 1869, this could potentially be a very very early example.
History of Swiss Luxury Watches | Tiffany & Co.
In the case of this watch, they bought in the watch complete.
Movement and case numbers match as in English watches.
They have always been together.

Made in England for Tiffany for clients who demanded a cut above.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Outstanding piece
I think you will find this is the patent from 1893
Raquette perfectionnéeCH6220 (A) ― 1893-09-15
Espacenet - Original document

Regards
adam

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I don't think 6220 is the patent number, I think it's the watch number. That patent doesn't seem to describe the design of the balance cock here, and the date isn't close enough to either of the two hallmark options to make sense.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I don't think 6220 is the patent number, I think it's the watch number. That patent doesn't seem to describe the design of the balance cock here, and the date isn't close enough to either of the two hallmark options to make sense.
My feeling its a patent number.
A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The number, 6220, appears on the movement as shown in the picture, and is also stamped on the inner rear cover. I could not get a good picture of the inner cover because of the reflection. Since it appears in both places, is it more likely a serial number rather than the patent number?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
The number, 6220, appears on the movement as shown in the picture, and is also stamped on the inner rear cover. I could not get a good picture of the inner cover because of the reflection. Since it appears in both places, is it more likely a serial number rather than the patent number?
Maybe, but I think we rarely see case serial number and movement serial number the same.
thanks for pointing it out
adam

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Love to read through the accumulated wisdom in these PW threads👍 can't add much but one is for sure: you have a fantastic piece there!

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Further research reveals this watch to be from 1869 right enough.

It has a very early patented stem wound and set, plus a very early if not the first
'true chronograph' which has stop/start and flyback controlled by heart shaped cam and hammer.

The Patent is Adolphe Nicole, Patent No 10,348 of October 1844.

An important watch in the horological timeline and in superb condition too.

Refs

Adolphe Nicole for E.J. Dent

NICOLE & CAPT for PHILLIPS, 23 Cockspur St, London. No 2136 - David Penney's Antique Watch Store

See how the example from Nicole & Capt in the link above also has bezel set jewelling to the top plate, unusual
in an English watch from this time.

Edit

This link shows a split secs example of your watch, made for Tiffany by Nicole and Capt which, I think, firmly ties down
the maker of your watch. David Penney is a renowned expert on unusual and rare English watches....

http://www.antiquewatchstore.com/home/2120-nicole-capt-patent-for-tiffany-co-new-york-no-7328.html

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Great finds radger.
Very important watch by the look of it.

Thanks for posting your beautiful watch, nice to see an early chrono that is so "fresh" to us here.

Cheers, Bob.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My great-grandfather recorded that the first Louis Audemars stem-wound watch was completed on 25th March 1838, and we know they were copied almost immediately, so the 1860s dating works in that respect. According to my archive, by that time 99.99% of all Audemars products were stem wound.
Tiffany were notorious for not permitting suppliers to identify their products so I think the 6220 may possibly be an early Tiffany number. Many suppliers concealed their references underneath plates or bridges.
Paul
Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 – 1885

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who responded to my request for information about my watch! This was very, very helpful, indeed! I am not a watch guy, but I suspected this was likely a good one. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts