WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found this wonderful forum while trying to research a pocket watch for my fiance. I have spent several hours searching old threads and have learned quite a bit so far. I definitely see more vintage watches in my future; especially those used by the military. By comparing her watch to some found here I believe it to possibly be manufactured around 1880. I have seen two different threads with the same or similar movement; one was identified as Longines and the other as LeCoultre. Any comments or help in identifying the movement and approximate age of the piece would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
badbackdan,

Thank you for the link! The one linked to has a very similar 4 digit serial number. Would the serial number on the movement of the Tiffany watch above be engraved by the movement maker or Tiffany? The case and movement have the same serial number.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Gut is Agassiz but it could also be from the time Tiffany had their own factory.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
I'm going to retract my Agassiz guess and go with it being a Tiffany made piece.

I usually associate the 3/4 plate design on Tiffany watches with those two makers, but some refreshers on Agassiz for Tiffany pieces shows that it's not really a good match. Thus, I think that narrows us down to Tiffany themselves making it.

Swiss watches are out of my field, but I have studied up a bit on Tiffany watches since they are pseudo-American :) . They can also be a fun guessing game since you really never know what you'll find behind the dial-you can just always be assured that it's a quality piece. And yes, I have had Pateks signed for Tiffany(the watch shown here is not a Patek).

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the additional information! It is such a nice watch and the workmanship is incredible on these amazing little machines. Does anyone know the timeline they used the Tiffany & Co Geneva vs Tiffany & Co New York markings? I believe I have seen some watches posted that have both markings on the same watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts