WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get a brand new G-Shock, do you ever check the screws on the back to make sure they're tight. And do you see if you can tighten them up just a tiny bit more to be 'on the safe side'?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hey Lexx.. yer not drumming up business are you?

When you get a brand new G-Shock, do you ever check the screws on the back to make sure they're tight. And do you see if you can tighten them up just a tiny bit more to be 'on the safe side'?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Never bought a brand new 'G' :-( though i always remove case back on 2nd hand purchases and check gasket.

A word of caution on tightening screws into plastic cases.........just a little bit too much and you can easily strip the threads!

Rusty

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The 'safe side' could be over-tight...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A word of caution on tightening screws into plastic cases.........just a little bit too much and you can easily strip the threads!
Yes that's right, but I don't mean hard enough to do that. I mean once you're satisfied they're not loose, a little token twist not enough to shift the screw if it's sufficiently tight. I can't resist. :-d

I'm more interested if anyone just checks new ones, and if they've ever found any that seem at all loose.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 'safe side' could be over-tight...
Yep, I was addressing that as you were typing it I think. It would be nice to have a torque-screwdriver to get it just right. :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ahhh.... and if you'd get my luck.. you wouldn't need mooch moolah...

Anyone needs their screws tightened... send yer watches to Lexxorcist..... experienced not necessarily available.. :-d Have screwdriver will tighten :-!

I have to, I need the cash for the next G-Shock. Just a small one.. to keep me going...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OK, I'll admit to checking screws on new watches for tightness. I mean, how would you feel if the back fell off just because you were too lazy to do a simple tension check on the screws ?

I don't do it every time but sometimes they just look a little 'loose' or aren't at the right height in relation to the other screws.

Actually, the first thing I always check is the light ;-)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know how they tighten them in the factories? Are they tightened by a machine or all by hand? They seem to do a good job, and I'm wondering if they have some way of making sure they're not too loose or tight other than human judgment.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It would be my guess that they have a stringent quality control. Whatever method they use, I would bet they remove one watch every so often from the line and check the torsion on the screws. They have machines that record these values and they check to make sure the sample is within tolerance or the lot is quarantined and reworked before being shipped out.

Sounds like I'm part of QA in a manufacturing environment doesn't it?

Yeppers......... I test computers..... PLCs, SCADAs, application software, etc.

In manufacturing, Quality Assurance is the name of the game.

-Gawain

Does anyone know how they tighten them in the factories? Are they tightened by a machine or all by hand? They seem to do a good job, and I'm wondering if they have some way of making sure they're not too loose or tight other than human judgment.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Lexxorcist,
I always trust the Casio's QA or QC and never check that. But I think if the screws are excessively tightened, the gasket will be flatten. This will affect water resistant of the watch. We may need some professional explanations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts