WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought the mirror feature allows you to pick the watch features you want to activate.

For example when your watch mirrors your iPhone, when you put your phone in airplane mode your watch goes into airplane mode. If you turn on wifi on your phone on the plane the wifi mode will go on your watch also all other feature will remain off.

I thought that's why it was important to make sure you set your mirror settings. The phone can talk to the watch even if the watch is in airplane mode if the mirror setting are on.

Do I have it wrong?
Halfway wrong (or "halfway right"?)... ;)

If you set the mirror setting for Airplane Mode, then when you enable Airplane Mode on the watch, it will also tell the phone to switch to Airplane Mode. This is useful when, say, you board an airplane and decided to keep the phone in a purse or carryon bag -- you won't need to dig out the phone to switch it to Airplane Mode.

When a device is in Airplane Mode, though, its radios are turned off, and it won't communicate with anything else. Say that the watch is still in Airplane Mode -- even if you switch the phone's wifi and bluetooth on and you try to do a "find my watch", the watch will not respond.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Looking forward to seeing how yours and Ron's watches perform. Don't sell that Garmin short, that one in the picture was synced at around noon for a run and photographed at a 11pm. Very little drift if any over 11 hours.

I'm also curious how other cellphone carriers compare to AT&T.
One of the few things that can be answered fairly easily.

I've got to admit I liked the AW for the short time I had it my kid loves it so it's never coming back. But I'm really starting to lean more towards the Garmin vivoactive.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Don't sell that Garmin short, that one in the picture was synced at around noon for a run and photographed at a 11pm. Very little drift if any over 11 hours.
My 410 used to lose its mind. I don't think it had an independent timekeeping circuit or a separate mini-battery for the clock. Although it could be set manually, it was a lot easier to charge it up and let it get a GPS signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Five days' worth of Airplane Mode and my AW's accuracy is within the range of any errors caused by me tapping my iPhone for each data point. Better than my G-Shock for sure.

I haven't let the battery run down yet, so I don't know if (1) it'll maintain time when it runs out of power and (2) if it'll automatically switch to regular mode when it turns back on.

I also took it for a jog Thursday, which gave me a special Thanksgiving 5k achievement badge.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
17 days of Airplane Mode and I think it's lost half a second. My Citizen synced with Ft. Collins last night (according to its status indicator), so it should be spot-on. The three pics are in sequence using my iPhone's rapid-fire mode.

I may write a post later about what it's like to step away from the Watch after using it regularly.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm impressed BarracksSi, 17 days and you aren't missing the other features yet? I'm pretty certain I lack the will power to give up the other features. But if you are getting use to not using them I have some good news and bad news. The good news is if you stop right now the watch is performing as well as most of the recent crop of Certina's and Bulova's over on the HAQ forum. The bad news is as you know a lot of regular quartz watches can perform exceptionally well for short periods of time. So to get the answer to if it is really super accurate without syncing would require a long term sacrifice.

I suggest we call it HAQ based on your data, end the study, link it back to your phone, and let it go back to being a 50ms accurate super handy smart watch. Send a quick ok reply text, answer a call, download some music, fire up the gps, take a run, and track it. Just me but I hate to see you and that Apple Watch suffer another week living the life of an ordinary watch.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Heck yeah, I'm missing everything that I normally use it for. It's all those little conveniences that add up.

Without a connection to the phone, it's still very capable, though. I use it to wake myself in the morning on workdays (which is funny, because I can't wear it at work, so I put on a regular watch before leaving the house…), log my workouts, and use the timer for laundry or cooking. I have a couple games on it that are completely native and run just fine, too.

But, I have to use my phone a lot more than before, too. Without data, the AW doesn't do texts or calls, obviously—but it also doesn't grab the weather (as shown by the blank complication in the bottom left corner), let me screen emails, or register voice commands.

I'm going to do a couple more things: let the battery run down and see if it automatically reverts to using the radios when it restarts, and then see what it's like to use when I turn the phone's wifi and Bluetooth off (and see if it'll sync with Apple's time servers over my home wifi).

If I could use it at my job, I wouldn't be experimenting like this. But, it's been an interesting opportunity.

·
Registered
733 Posts
17 days of Airplane Mode and I think it's lost half a second. My Citizen synced with Ft. Collins last night (according to its status indicator), so it should be spot-on. The three pics are in sequence using my iPhone's rapid-fire mode.

I may write a post later about what it's like to step away from the Watch after using it regularly.
Wow, that’s around COSC spec for quartz. Knowing that Jony Ive has an interesting watch collection and who Marc Newson is, I wonder if they aimed for that specifically.

I would last one evening, before I start going batty. One full day, tops. Once I need Maps or the Pandora remote, I’m switching off airplane mode. Those are the only things for which I need airplane mode on, so hypothetically, I should be able to last a long time in airplane mode. But when I need maps, I really need maps. That said, if I had a car with Apple Carplay, instead of an iPod connector in the glove compartment, that would probably change.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,355 Posts
I'm impressed BarracksSi, 17 days and you aren't missing the other features yet? I'm pretty certain I lack the will power to give up the other features. But if you are getting use to not using them I have some good news and bad news. The good news is if you stop right now the watch is performing as well as most of the recent crop of Certina's and Bulova's over on the HAQ forum. The bad news is as you know a lot of regular quartz watches can perform exceptionally well for short periods of time. So to get the answer to if it is really super accurate without syncing would require a long term sacrifice.

I suggest we call it HAQ based on your data, end the study, link it back to your phone, and let it go back to being a 50ms accurate super handy smart watch. Send a quick ok reply text, answer a call, download some music, fire up the gps, take a run, and track it. Just me but I hate to see you and that Apple Watch suffer another week living the life of an ordinary watch.
I will still be testing for two or more weeks, if you cannot hold out getting the full functionality of the watch you could end your test.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
While you have the receivers in your watches turned off can you get
the watches to display the temperature?

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,355 Posts
While you have the receivers in your watches turned off can you get
the watches to display the temperature?

Thanks,
rationaltime
I can check but the temperature comes from the phone weather app, AFAIR.
I just checked that face. It was there and then blanked the fields out.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Back to this: --> Apple watch accuracy explained in detail.

December 30, 2015:
"... Lynch also described the hardware inside of the Apple Watch that makes sure the time remains accurate. Each Apple Watch has a temperature-controlled crystal oscillator inside to combat time drift that clocks and watches see. The oscillator also makes sure the Apple Watch remains warm enough to keep accurate time in very cold climates. Thanks to this hardware, the Apple Watch is even more accurate than the iPhone."

I suppose you could control or compensate for the temperature without
measuring the temperature, but it seems like a method an analog part
would use. Perhaps the Apple Watch apps don't know about or have
access to an on die temperature sensor.

Thank you for the reports.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Even if they allowed access to the temperature sensor, it'd be useless to most people. I check the temperature to decide which jacket I should wear, not to find out how warm my wrist is.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
We cannot adjust the TC tables so access to the die temperature is not really useful.
Oh, you mean to change the thermocompensation setting inside the watch? Yeah, I don't think Apple would allow such deep system-level hacking (and, rightfully, no smartwatch manufacturer ever should, because of personal device security...).

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Well, this took long enough. I last wore it overnight Tuesday night to wake myself Wednesday morning, then left it off the charger. I don't even think I started the evening with a full charge.

Sometime late Thursday, it had over 20% battery, so I put it on and started a Workout to try to drain it faster. It worked, and went into Power Reserve mode, where it stayed until last night or this morning. (Btw, it's Saturday now, so that's over four days of displaying the time in Airplane Mode with minimal usage).

21 - 40 of 50 Posts