WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
17,777 Posts
Recharged it, and it remained in Airplane Mode. I also checked its timekeeping, and it's still on track for -1sec/month. Pretty nice.

Next, I'll turn off my iPhone's wifi and Bluetooth, and bring the watch out of Airplane Mode. I'll find out if it'll re-sync its time over my home wifi without the phone.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
Heh. It worked! The watch synced with Apple's time servers. The offset is now 0 sec rather than -0.8 sec.

It also picks up weather data, at least; maybe more. I wonder if it'll send Workout data to the phone via iCloud.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
BT and WiFi were on but no connection ylto your IPhone?
Right -- I turned off my iPhone's BT and Wifi. I'm forcing the AW to use my home's Wifi network for an internet connection.

On the watch itself:
- its iMessages have caught up to the present state of my conversations;
- Mail hasn't picked up any emails newer than the last sync with my phone in November;
- Weather is up to date (along with other weather apps like Dark Sky and RadarScope);
- Maps won't get directions to, say, Work without the phone, but it tries to get data for other locations. Kind of weird, actually;
- The Apple Store mini-app loads as an app but doesn't seem to grab data. Same with KakaoTalk;
- Slack isn't a native app, so it needs the iPhone connection to load and run. Some others are the same;
- CityMapper works. Wow. So does News360. Native apps like these are more likely to be usable.

So it'll do some things without the phone, but not everything. It also doesn't appear that the AW can upload its Activity data through the internet where it can then download to the phone -- it needs a direct connection to the phone instead.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I made a little drawing to represent the set up as I visualize it. It is pretty
generic. For example, there may be just one WiFi router and ISP. It seems
possible there could still be data transfer between the watch and phone
without the phone using Bluetooth or WiFi.

Apple_Watch_connections.jpg

I don't know how much you want to test or explore the system. Can you
send your wife a message from your Apple Watch with the phone powered
off? "Siri, tell my wife ..." If your wife sends you an iMessage does it show
up on the watch when your iPhone is off?

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
I don't know how much you want to test or explore the system. Can you
send your wife a message from your Apple Watch with the phone powered
off? "Siri, tell my wife ..." If your wife sends you an iMessage does it show
up on the watch when your iPhone is off?
It works! Cool. I didn't think to try it before, so I shut my phone off just now and sent a couple texts via Siri on the watch. I even did the usual, "Tell my wife … etc" and it worked.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Recharged it, and it remained in Airplane Mode. I also checked its timekeeping, and it's still on track for -1sec/month. Pretty nice.

Next, I'll turn off my iPhone's wifi and Bluetooth, and bring the watch out of Airplane Mode. I'll find out if it'll re-sync its time over my home wifi without the phone.

BarracksSi --

Are you using the Watch Tracker app to measure the precision of your AW2? Do you like the app?

I think I may be getting an AW2 for a Christmas gift and am looking forward to testing it. I have generally used Emerald Time and my eyes (and ears with Emerald Time's audio output) to test mechanical watches. I have used Emerald Time and a GPS pps signal, along with high speed photography, to test high accuracy quartz watches like a Morgenwerk (discussed in several threads in the HAQ forum). I may give the Watch Tracker app a try too.

Have also been following Ronald Held's tests of his AW2 on the HAQ forum.

Glad to see the AW2 performing well as timepiece. Looks like it may be a digital HAQ on a stand alone basis, with the ability to synch time with Apple time servers over Bluetooth/ internet. Do you know if the AW2 will also synch time with GPS satellites when using GPS?

Bill

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
Do you know if the AW2 will also synch time with GPS satellites when using GPS?
It might, just like how my Garmin 410 gets its time (which is good because the Garmin forgets what time it is when the battery runs out). But I don't think the AW needs GPS time sync since it should normally be connecting to the internet and the phone.

Watch Tracker is good for me. I was using the Activity Digital face on the AW because it has running seconds, much like how I can use Watch Tracker to test my G-Shock (which runs -0.2/d without radio sync).

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,348 Posts
BarracksSi --

Are you using the Watch Tracker app to measure the precision of your AW2? Do you like the app?

I think I may be getting an AW2 for a Christmas gift and am looking forward to testing it. I have generally used Emerald Time and my eyes (and ears with Emerald Time's audio output) to test mechanical watches. I have used Emerald Time and a GPS pps signal, along with high speed photography, to test high accuracy quartz watches like a Morgenwerk (discussed in several threads in the HAQ forum). I may give the Watch Tracker app a try too.

Have also been following Ronald Held's tests of his AW2 on the HAQ forum.

Glad to see the AW2 performing well as timepiece. Looks like it may be a digital HAQ on a stand alone basis, with the ability to synch time with Apple time servers over Bluetooth/ internet. Do you know if the AW2 will also synch time with GPS satellites when using GPS?

Bill
AFAIR it can sync to GPS in standalone mode, but I have not tried it.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
It took a day or two, but my Thanksgiving 5K badge appeared in my Activity app.

Remember, I had started my little experiment before Thanksgiving, and although I went for a jog on Thanksgiving Day—farther than 5 km, but it counted—the AW retained the run in its database since then.

This badge wasn't synced yet when I looked yesterday.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts